REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Can someone google streetview the location?
Advertisement
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #52
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Not the same thing. Holding people like that is unconstitutional; impounding a vehicle for breaking a relevant law is not.

What's funny is people getting so bent about vehicles being impounded for excessive speeding and drunk driving, but nobody seems to think it's such a big end-of-the-world deal if your car gets towed for parking somewhere you shouldn't... yet which is really the greater danger? Where's all the righteous indignation when some fully healthy dickhead gets towed for something as minor as parking in a handicap spot?
When your vehicle is towed from a handi cap spot, are you left stranded on the side of the road? Are you going to incur a 7 day loss of your vehicle, 2000+ in fines and surcharges, etc etc etc?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
When your vehicle is towed from a handi cap spot, are you left stranded on the side of the road?
Umm... I'm gonna say "yes"? Unless you're carrying a Smart Car in your pocket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #54
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,177 Times in 621 Posts
Quote:
Umm... I'm gonna say "yes"? Unless you're carrying a Smart Car in your pocket...

But you're not miles away from civilization...
xXSupa is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #55

Quote:

Think about what you're saying. If you got your Jeep seized on hwy 3 an hour drive from town, you're up shit creek without a paddle. If you got your Jeep towed from the local Walmart parking lot, not exactly the same thing.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #56

And if you got your Prius seized five minutes after leaving home for doing 90 in a school zone... that's okay then, because you're not stuck in the boonies? Or does the 40-over thing only apply on Interior highways?
Quote:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #57

Besides, my Heep would be lucky to manage excessive speeding downhill with a tailwind. AND, I'm smart enough not to exceed 40-over.

What's your excuse?
Quote:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #58

Quote:
And if you got your Prius seized five minutes after leaving home for doing 90 in a school zone... that's okay then, because you're not stuck in the boonies? Or does the 40-over thing only apply on Interior highways?
Why do you keep twisting what everyone says? I don't own a Prius, so that's just out of left field, in a school zone there are kids that are running all pver the place, last time i checked there's not kids running all over the fucking Coquhalla.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #59
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSupa View Post
But you're not miles away from civilization...
The tow truck that takes your vehicle will usually take you into town if you're in the middle of nowhere. That, or the cop will drop you off at the nearest spot he's able to. The officer wont leave you stranded in the middle of the bush, especially in bear country.

Alternatively you can also call a taxi from the closest town. In most locations on these highways, you're never more than half an hour outside of the nearest city.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #60
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
What I got from reading this entire thread is not to argue about speed limits etc.

It's to simply follow the speed limit when you are driving in that area...
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #61

Quote:
Why do you keep twisting what everyone says?
Because the arguments make no sense.

Let's recap:
Getting impounded for going 40-over in Manning Park is bad because then you're stuck walking.

Getting impounded for parking illegally in the city is okay because you're closer to home.

So by extension, getting impounded for going 40-over in the city shouldn't be a big deal, because you're closer to home.

Similarly, getting impounded for parking illegally in a small Interior town should be worthy of a public uprising, because then you're stuck far from home.

If getting your car towed for breaking the law is such a big deal, then let's make it a UNIVERSALLY big deal and make Constitutional challenges against parking regs that nobody seems to have had a major issue with for decades.

Otherwise, man up, own your mistake, and live with the consequences of YOUR CHOICES. Oh, and stop being such a whiny bitch.
Quote:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
What I got from reading this entire thread is not to argue about speed limits etc.

It's to simply follow the speed limit when you are driving in that area...
See, this is where the whole "cash grab" argument falls apart: if the police/gov't/ICBC are actually successful in getting across the message and stop people from speeding with the tougher penalties, and people actually do the speed limit... the revenue stream dries up. Sure the roads are safer too, but nobody gives a fuck about that, as long as they're not out of pocket.

I don't see what's so difficult about the concept: the speed is posted clearly, you know what the penalties are... YOU CHOOSE to disregard the posted speed limit... then you have no cause to complain when you're hit with the consequences.

There may be a few people still out there who haven't actually heard of the current penalties despite their being in place for *TWO AND A HALF YEARS* now, and despite the regular media coverage of people getting busted... but seriously, find me ONE RS member who DOESN'T know about this. NOBODY on this board can use the "I didn't know" excuse.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #63

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb.kidz View Post
Radar Detectors & Laser Jammers ftw
I would not use laser jammers in BC.

Speeding is not a big deal(compare to laser jammers), it's just a traffic violation.

However I read somewhere how laser jammer is considered as a criminal act, you will get a criminal record for obstruction of justice. Which makes you difficult to get a job, travel, etc and ruins your life.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #64
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
WOW!!!! Why/ How can you people even complain about excessive speed laws. There is NO ONE to blame but yourself if you are caught traveling upwards of 40 over the speed limit! Cops generally won't even tag you for excessive unless you are 45+ even when the MVA says 40. Just like the IRP's, the ASDs are actually calibrated a touch higher so you have more leeway with respect to blood alcohol content. So stop your whining. If you can't control yourself from breaking MVA laws, don't drive. Driving is a privilege not a right. As much as most of you think it is your RIGHT, it isn't.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #65
Boost Lee

They should raise the stupid speed limits in BC.
Alberta's speed limits are sensible, BC's are just retarded.
We should start a petition on raising it.
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #66
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

regardless wat the fucking retarded law is, the speed limit is a FUCKING JOKE

you go down seattle the limit is 70miles on most i5

and here we do 120 we consider a criminal so we need to impound a persons vehcile, are you fucking kidding me?

OMFG 120 is serious business, its so fast it travels faster than the speed of light. bitch please

And people actually agreeing with this bs law, ohhhhhh u know the law u do the crime u go to jail bad boy

the point is the speed limit is way too fucking low

other city/country must have people dieing left and right cuz all their speed limit is faster

Last edited by GG; 08-22-2013 at 07:57 AM.
GG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #67
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilabomb View Post
regardless wat the fucking retarded law is, the speed limit is a FUCKING JOKE

you go down seattle the limit is 70miles on most i5

and here we do 120 we consider a criminal so we need to impound a persons vehcile, are you fucking kidding me?

OMFG 120 is serious business, its so fast it travels faster than the speed of light. bitch please

And people actually agreeing with this bs law, ohhhhhh u know the law u do the crime u go to jail bad boy

the point is the speed limit is way too fucking low

other city/country must have people dieing left and right cuz all their speed limit is faster
Clearly you've missed the basic concept, otherwise you wouldn't be comparing the two speeds between a long, flat highway (I5) and a mountainous, twisty road (Hwy 3)... because clearly, regardless of where those speeds are attained, 120 is a safe speed in all conditions.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #68
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I have driven from SK to BC and vice versa. And there are many times where I am going 120km/h(where I feel comfortable) and still being passed on the twisties.

And mind you I made sure all my suv is mechanically sound(tires, brakes) unlike some drivers out there.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #69
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Clearly you've missed the basic concept, otherwise you wouldn't be comparing the two speeds between a long, flat highway (I5) and a mountainous, twisty road (Hwy 3)... because clearly, regardless of where those speeds are attained, 120 is a safe speed in all conditions.
If you raised the speed limit on hwy 3 to 110 one of two things will happen. People will travel as fast as they can safely for the road conditions and their vehicles or just plainly kill themselves. Either or its a win-win situation as the good, responsible drivers will get where they need to quicker (time is money) or the poor, wreckless drivers will remove themselves from the gene pool. Speed doesn't kill, bad drivers do and there are already too many in this province, time to cull the herd.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I would not use laser jammers in BC.

Speeding is not a big deal(compare to laser jammers), it's just a traffic violation.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but if you're caught with laser jammers, you're charged with obstruction of justice right? Slightly more serious then a 7 day impoundment/speeding ticket...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #71
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
If you raised the speed limit on hwy 3 to 110 one of two things will happen. People will travel as fast as they can safely for the road conditions and their vehicles or just plainly kill themselves. Either or its a win-win situation as the good, responsible drivers will get where they need to quicker (time is money) or the poor, wreckless drivers will remove themselves from the gene pool. Speed doesn't kill, bad drivers do and there are already too many in this province, time to cull the herd.
I am glad you thoroughly thought out your post. So you are predicting that the drivers that CANNOT drive safely at higher speeds will kill themselves right? They are coincidentally going to drive themselves into a stationary pole or object WITHOUT affecting other people/drivers in the area? Think about it. When a collision happens, it is very likely it will involve other cars, which are probably innocent. Ie, car one loses control and goes head on with a vehicle containing a family driving "normally". So I guess it is natural selection, having the car full of the family die?

You people need to stop thinking about this in the following way;

- you are superior drivers than anyone else, and the law should not apply to you

- comparing bc roads to other roads in difference provinces and even countries

I can bet that the vast majority of you drivers would not be able to safely dodge an object that appeared in your way approx 30ft from you, while you were traveling at 70-80kph, on straight/flat road, without spinning out.

How fast do you guys really need to be going? It sounds like you are just impatient and want to get to point B faster, without any other reason.

Have any of you seen the result of a motor vehicle collision with multiple cars traveling at even 80 km/hr? I am guessing not. You won't really understand unless you do, or have family/friends involved in a collision at higher speeds.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #72
RS Veteran

Quote:
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but if you're caught with laser jammers, you're charged with obstruction of justice right? Slightly more serious then a 7 day impoundment/speeding ticket...
http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/equipment...-laser-jammers
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #73
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,407 Times in 3,476 Posts
Maybe we need 2 speeds in at certain passing area's. 90 for cars on the right and 110 for cars on the left.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #74
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Maybe we need 2 speeds in at certain passing area's. 90 for cars on the right and 110 for cars on the left.
Nah, that won't work, people don't read anyway and hog the left lane indefinitely.

I can't recall how many times I've been given the finger for reminding the driver in front to get the fuck out if not passing by flashing my beam once. All i get is "wtf" face and confusion.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #75
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

^

thats when u roll down the window and blast ludas move bitch get out the way

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote