REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #101
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
There was a roadblock and officer asked me if I drank tonight. I said yes, I had one drink at a wedding. He told me to blow at his face and I blew maybe 3-4 breaths. He then waved me to go ahead.
I guess Robocop comes with a breathalyzer function. neat.
Advertisement
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #102
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I just lightly skimmed the thread so I apologize if this has been covered but can't you be given a 24 hour or be charged for being in between .05 and .07 under one of these newer laws from the last handful of years?

Last edited by ShaneN; 01-03-2014 at 04:12 AM.
ShaneN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
Could have been worse, at least it was just his face he asked him/her to blow...
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #104
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneN View Post
I just lightly skimmed the thread so I apologize if this has been covered but can't you be given a 24 hour or be charged for being in between .05 and .07 under one of these newer laws from the last handful of years?
In practice, 215's (24 hour suspensions) are issued for breath readings between .06 and .09...unless you are a L or N when any reading results in either a 12 hour for under .05 or a regular 215 for over .05.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:06 AM   #105

Maybe I'm just tired but with the missing punctuation, I can't for the life of my decipher that sentence. If I'm reading that correct, you're saying that under .05 you can get you a 12 hour suspension and .06 to the "legal limit" of .08 is still a 24 hour suspension? ALSO, do these 12 and 24 hour suspension show up on your record as being guilty for driving under the influence?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #106
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
I came from a wedding one night and I had one drink at the dinner. Didnt leave the wedding until 1am. There was a roadblock and officer asked me if I drank tonight. I said yes, I had one drink at a wedding. He told me to blow at his face and I blew maybe 3-4 breaths. He then waved me to go ahead.

Simple. No need to lie.
Quote:
At least he didn't make you blow through his "straw"

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #107
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Maybe I'm just tired but with the missing punctuation, I can't for the life of my decipher that sentence. If I'm reading that correct, you're saying that under .05 you can get you a 12 hour suspension and .06 to the "legal limit" of .08 is still a 24 hour suspension? ALSO, do these 12 and 24 hour suspension show up on your record as being guilty for driving under the influence?
For first time offenders:

Class 5:
0.00-0.05 = most likely nothing
0.06-0.09 = 24 hour driving prohibition
0.09+ = 90 days driving prohibition

Learners/Novice:
0.01-0.05 = 12 hour driving prohibition
0.06-0.09 = 24 hour driving prohibition
0.09+ = 90 days driving prohibition

I believe penalties increase for multiple offenders

Last edited by aznkev03; 01-04-2014 at 04:47 AM.
aznkev03 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #108

And what exactly IS a 24 hour, is that putting a driving while under the influence of an intoxicant on your driving record? And what about zulutango pointing out you can get a "12 hour" for .05 or under. There is so much grey area in this, which will make people want to answer "no" to being asked if they've had anything to drink if they think they're anywhere between 0.01 and 0.08.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #109
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
And what exactly IS a 24 hour, is that putting a driving while under the influence of an intoxicant on your driving record? And what about zulutango pointing out you can get a "12 hour" for .05 or under. There is so much grey area in this, which will make people want to answer "no" to being asked if they've had anything to drink if they think they're anywhere between 0.01 and 0.08.
From what I understand from zulutango, the 12 hour only applies to Learners and Novice license holders. There is no grey area if you hold a class 5 driver's license.
If you blow between 0.00 to 0.05, you will likely drive through the road block as if nothing happened. Blow a 0.06-0.09 and you will have your license suspended for (minimum, for first time offenders) 24 hours and your vehicle may or may not be impounded since the officer cannot let you bring the vehicle home with a now suspended license. Blow over 0.09 and you will receive a 90-day driving ban, your vehicle impounded for 30 days, and hefty fines as well as possibly requirement to participate in the Ignition Interlock and Responsible Driver Program.

Alternative source

Sure, your opinion that lying to the officer may hold true in making life easier, and I'm sure many share a similar opinion (myself included). If you do not have even the slightest hint of liquor on your breathe and do not look or act the slightest bit intoxicated after drinking and tell the officer you have had nothing to drink, I am sure the officer will just wave you through. However, what are the chances of this happening aside from the times you may have had a drink hours before, stopped drinking, and perhaps had eaten a large meal before hitting the road, in which you would likely not be impaired to drive and therefore not dangerous anyway?

In short (and IMO), yes, lying will probably be less troublesome if you have had one or two drinks and do not the slightest bit look, act, or smell intoxicated, but at this point, you likely aren't intoxicated and therefore aren't showing any signs of it. However, less troublesome =/= correct. The laws are in place to help prevent injury or death as a result of DUI and condoning this type of behavior only adds to the problem, especially if those who are truly driving while intoxicated slip through the cracks. Seeing as alcohol affects everyone differently, and the same amount of consumption on different occasions can even affect the same individual differently, one day this could be any of us.

Last edited by aznkev03; 01-04-2014 at 05:49 AM.
aznkev03 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #110
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
24 hr prohibitions are given for drivers who are suspected to be driving under the influence of alcohol OR drugs. Even prescription or over the counter meds.

12 hour prohibitions are given only to class 7 drivers as they are not to have ANY alcohol in their blood.

It's not grey. If you are class 7 and you drink, don't drive. If you are a class 5, if you drink and don't want to risk it, don't drive. People can give whatever answer they want. It just makes it that much better when someone tells me they had NOTHING to drink, and blows a WARN. Almost as good as those who tell me they had 2 drink about 4 hours ago and blow a FAIL.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #111
RS Peace Officer

But nobody ever lies to the Police....do they Spidey. You note that I did not use a question mark there as it is not a question as we expect to be lied to by the 5% who provide 95% of our job security.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #112

I'm not sure why this whole thread has been spent talking about .08 then, when the limit is .05

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
But nobody ever lies to the Police....do they Spidey. You note that I did not use a question mark there as it is not a question as we expect to be lied to by the 5% who provide 95% of our job security.
I find this a bit contradictory given its common practice for police to lie to the public, no?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #113
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure why this whole thread has been spent talking about .08 then, when the limit is .05

I find this a bit contradictory given its common practice for police to lie to the public, no?
the Legal limit under the MVA is .05. The legal limit under the CCC is .08.

Please elaborate on your latter statement.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #114
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2014, 11:42 AM   #115
I subscribe to Revscene

What are the stats on collisions for BAC levels of 0.01-0.04 and 0.05-0.07?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #116
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
What are the stats on collisions for BAC levels of 0.01-0.04 and 0.05-0.07?
Don't get started with this, even if someone did manage to find stats on this there is so many different ways this data could be skewed that its almost completely irrelevant.

I say this only because people are going to go dig up stats on this now and try to justify how drinking and driving really isn't that dangerous even past .08.

If that wasn't your intention then I apologize, but there are many others in this thread trying to justify their drinking and driving and plain and simple, there is no justification.

On another note:

I was listening to AM980 the other day, and the wife of that guy who killed those two girls while driving impaird had phoned in saying that the punishment to her husband was so harsh, and that it was unfair and that the laws are too tough.

And I was like

Your husband KILLED two innocent girls, who had their entire lives ahead of them. You are trying to say the punishment is too harsh? If anything this bitch was lucky that we don't have the death penalty so they could drop that on his ass, and set a real good example.

And then she had the nerve to call it an "accident". I am sorry but that was so out to lunch that its not even funny. Drinking as much as he did (if I am not mistaken he blew .14) and then hopping in your car and attempting to drive home, is not an accident, it is downright criminal.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 01-13-2014 at 01:36 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #117
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
They should just make it a zero-tolerance policy across the board, so people wouldn't waste time and take risks like "oh well, one beer isn't gonna put me over". The BAC measurement is stupid anyways, at the "legal limit" of 0.04 me and my Asian flush are pretty much too sh*tfaced to drive... 6'2 and 210 lbs here too, don't tell me a person's size matters.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
If that wasn't your intention then I apologize, but there are many others in this thread trying to justify their drinking and driving and plain and simple, there is no justification.
Sebberry isn't here to justify drinking and driving; he's here to question and deride every traffic law on the books, just because... you know... THE MAN.

In cases like this, I can't actually decide which is worse...
Quote:
Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOiA-R34 View Post
They should just make it a zero-tolerance policy across the board, so people wouldn't waste time and take risks like "oh well, one beer isn't gonna put me over".
There are issues surrounding this including (but not limited to) hypoglycaemia in diabetics. The US C.D.C. has evidence to show that a person could possibly blow up to a 0.06 on an ASD even after consuming no alcoholic beverages simply due to ketoacidosis.

If a 0 tolerance policy were in effect, any person going through a roadblock and had a health issue which involved ketoacidosis would immediately receive a roadside prohibition etc etc etc.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #120

Quote:
There are issues surrounding this including (but not limited to) hypoglycaemia in diabetics. The US C.D.C. has evidence to show that a person could possibly blow up to a 0.06 on an ASD even after consuming no alcoholic beverages simply due to ketoacidosis.

If a 0 tolerance policy were in effect, any person going through a roadblock and had a health issue which involved ketoacidosis would immediately receive a roadside prohibition etc etc etc.
In light of this, we should just get rid of drunk driving laws altogether... after all, people getting killed on the roads are nothing compared to the miniscule chance of a diabetic possibly getting an undeserved DUI charge.
Quote:
Old 01-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #121

Quote:

Yeah okay buddy, cause there is no ways around this...

Much like those wristbands they used to give out for diabetics or people who used insulin, they could just print something on your DL. It is not like this is some common situation that affects 10% of the population, it is something that affect only the tiniest sliver of the the pie (less than 1%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
In light of this, we should just get rid of drunk driving laws altogether... after all, people getting killed on the roads are nothing compared to the miniscule chance of a diabetic possibly getting an undeserved DUI charge.
LOL

Old 01-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #122
RS Peace Officer

If there were NO indicators of impairment, no smell of alcoholic beverage consumption and a denial of drinking, I can't see why a diabetic would be requested to provide a breath sample. If the diabeltic was showing of diabetic distress, which can seem similar to impairment by drugs/alcohol, then they should not be driving anyway. A quick bit of sugar, along with a medic alert bracelet should have them on their way.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #123

Quote:
If there were NO indicators of impairment, no smell of alcoholic beverage consumption and a denial of drinking, I can't see why a diabetic would be requested to provide a breath sample.
Remember, this is PARANOiA-R34's 0 tolerance hypothetical world.
I suspect that in his world, there would be random breath testing ala New South Wales, Australia's laws.

Quote:
If the diabeltic was showing of diabetic distress, which can seem similar to impairment by drugs/alcohol, then they should not be driving anyway. A quick bit of sugar, along with a medic alert bracelet should have them on their way.
Acetone breath is not exclusively a symptom of poorly controlled type 1 diabetes. It could accompany a perfectly functioning person on a ketogenic diet (extremely low carbohydrate) for purposes including epilepsy control, cultural tradition (arctic first nations), or weight loss.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #124

Quote:
Acetone breath is not exclusively a symptom of poorly controlled type 1 diabetes. It could accompany a perfectly functioning person on a ketogenic diet (extremely low carbohydrate) for purposes including epilepsy control, cultural tradition (arctic first nations), or weight loss.
LOL. Yeah all those Arctic First nations at risk of being charged with DUI would be pretty upset...

This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #125
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
It could accompany a perfectly functioning person on a ketogenic diet (extremely low carbohydrate) for purposes including [...] weight loss.
In before everybody in the Workout/Training thread gets pulled over for DUI this spring while cutting for summer
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: