REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   upcoming winter hockey - how does a goalie get a team?! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687740-upcoming-winter-hockey-how-does-goalie-get-team.html)

BallPeenHammer2 08-29-2013 01:54 PM

upcoming winter hockey - how does a goalie get a team?!

I wasn't really able to find anything...but i'd like to join a team for the upcoming fall/winter season.

I know to contact some leagues, and see...but anyone here know any other avenues?

One of the leagues wanted me to pay a few hundred up front and I was like "nope. sorry. screw that"

Any help will be great! THANKS!

Neomop 08-29-2013 01:58 PM

Best bet is to just sub and build up your contacts. I played sub for 2 years and just waited for my opportunities. I get like 2-3 teams asking me to play full time and i still sub for 4-5 more, so if 1 team disbands I still have options.

BallPeenHammer2 08-29-2013 02:01 PM

I don't even know how to get myself out there =(

I've subbed but few and far in between. That and I'm looking for practice time that happens in the evenings. RIC is the only stick/puck that allows goalies but their times don't mesh with a mon-fri 9-5er

Nvasion 08-29-2013 02:09 PM

my teams playing in coast this year... last year we won tier 12 i think.. this year we will get bumped up to tier 10 or 11.

if you are interested shoot me a private msg.

we play out of richmond ice center.

Neomop 08-29-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 8309949)
I don't even know how to get myself out there =(

I've subbed but few and far in between. That and I'm looking for practice time that happens in the evenings. RIC is the only stick/puck that allows goalies but their times don't mesh with a mon-fri 9-5er

I got pretty lucky but I was also persistent. I went to a lot of organized pick-up games and met another goalie who ran his own team. He got me to sub the first few years, we became friends and I play like 40% of his team's games now. From that, I basically got exposure to the league I was playing in, and eventually started getting calls to play more and more games until opportunities opened up for me to take full-time positions on teams.

Most well-run teams already have their own goalie, and probably their own set of 2-3 subs that they can call to, so just randomly calling out to teams looking to play full time probably isn't going to work too well. Get on sub lists, build connections, prove your worth with your play, get rewarded.

BallPeenHammer2 08-29-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neomop (Post 8309962)
I got pretty lucky but I was also persistent. I went to a lot of organized pick-up games and met another goalie who ran his own team. He got me to sub the first few years, we became friends and I play like 40% of his team's games now. From that, I basically got exposure to the league I was playing in, and eventually started getting calls to play more and more games until opportunities opened up for me to take full-time positions on teams.

Most well-run teams already have their own goalie, and probably their own set of 2-3 subs that they can call to, so just randomly calling out to teams looking to play full time probably isn't going to work too well. Get on sub lists, build connections, prove your worth with your play, get rewarded.

That's the issue too...I've only been at it for a few months, and in the last 2, I've had almost zero practice time. I used to be able to do 5 hours every monday...but now it's just all in game. It's hard to stay sharp.

I know very little ppl in the community....and have had little teaching.

I skate well enough. and I play well enough (used to play a lot of ball hockey). But I want more out of this

Iceman-19 08-29-2013 10:43 PM

I have always wanted to play goalie. Grew up playing D. I am going to craigslist some gear I think.

BallPeenHammer2 08-30-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8310328)
I have always wanted to play goalie. Grew up playing D. I am going to craigslist some gear I think.

I'm selling gear...LOL.

Interested?

Iceman-19 08-30-2013 07:41 AM

I doubt it fits me.

originalhypa 08-30-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8310328)
I have always wanted to play goalie.

Goalie is awesome, except when you take a wicked close range shot and it slips between the pieces of armor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psdc182fa4.jpg

It actually doesn't hurt that much.
I think that means there's nerve damage.
:lol

Srsly though, it looks like you made your first contact BPH.
NVasion's team would be a great start, whether you're a starter or a backup. Good luck man!

BallPeenHammer2 08-30-2013 10:52 AM

BTW, anyone wanna play 10pm drop in tonight? Contact Nvasion.....

SumAznGuy 08-30-2013 11:36 AM

Tempted, but I think it is best for me to take a few weeks off and let my injuries heal.
D'oh.
Gonna be another long winter season ahead of me. Committed to 2 teams and who know, I might end up on 4 teams again like this past summer.

BallPeenHammer2 09-03-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8310474)
I doubt it fits me.

lol....how big are you? If you're serious, I may be able to help, whether or not it's from me =)

RevYouUp 09-03-2013 07:27 PM

My team is looking for a fulltime player for the winter season in Ice604, we're gonna be playing in the lower tiers. PM me if interested for 100%

moefoe81 09-27-2013 03:42 PM

Hey Ballpeenhammer, try Hockey Community theres always scrimmages there and then expand your contacts from there. I am looking for a full time dman, if anyone wants to join let me know. Playing lower div, ASHL Langley Twin Rinks.

Ernie

BallPeenHammer2 09-30-2013 11:52 AM

i'm on 3 teams already this season LOL

The requests started pouring in after I joined HC about a month ago XD

westopher 09-30-2013 12:50 PM

If anyone ever needs a goalie sub PM me. I can't join a team since my schedule is so fucked for work, but I'm decent. Played defense for 13 years at a high level and have played goalie in non high level situations my whole life.