REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Parking on a cul-de-sac (https://www.revscene.net/forums/687931-parking-cul-de-sac.html)

nsx042003 09-04-2013 08:06 PM

Parking on a cul-de-sac

Are there any laws pertaining as to who owns the parking spot? As far as i know, i thought it's game for everyone, whoever finds it first parks right? Why does my neighbour always think that the spot in front of his side door is his/hers? I keep telling them no, and I don't always take their spot anyway, it's just once in a while when I can't find parking then i park there.

?? I hate the way they accuse me of taking their spot when it's not theirs.

jing 09-04-2013 08:13 PM

Parking on the street is PUBLIC PROPERTY and is fair game to anyone. You do not own the section of street in front of your house.
Posted via RS Mobile

pinn3r 09-04-2013 09:13 PM

cul de sac ballsack

ProBoostin 09-04-2013 09:24 PM

Not sure about Richmond, but in Burnaby if you park in front of someones house between 8am-6pm you can get a ticket from bylaw if the residents complain. Found out the hard way. Also don't know if it's the same in a cul-de-sac.

But if he hasn't complained to the city yet, fuck him and park there all you want until he does something about it with authorities.

BrRsn 09-04-2013 09:31 PM

I used to carpool with my friend to school a lot -- as a result I'd leave my car parked infront of my friends neighbour's house

about a year later I finally got a $70 ticket from the city of vancouver for parking a vehicle on a block that the vehicle is not registered to. If you have an address on that block, you may park anywhere (AFAIK) without fear of being reprimanded by a power tripping public servant in a white Smart ForTwo.

TL;DR

Tell your neighbour to ride it.
What pisses me off more is people that own commercial vehicles and park them on residential streets -- some guy on my block has 2 limos that he parks on the street. Takes up like 6 spots lol.

Alby 09-04-2013 10:13 PM

AFAIK, as long as you live on the block, you can park anywhere on it. you parking in front of your house and not others is just a courtesy. if the car doesn't belong to the resident of the block, you have a window of 3 hours before its ticketable.

winson604 09-04-2013 11:39 PM

In Vancouver it's called the 3hr Bylaw

Parking when there is no signage | City of Vancouver

nsx042003 09-05-2013 03:10 PM

yeah..that's what I thought...I just don't like their attitude about it. Sometimes they even go as far as placing a bucket to reserve it.

I plan on walking over today and ask the owner of the house to stop telling their tenants false info about parking spaces. I dont want my car to be vandelized for the odd times that I need to park there.... which i seldom do anyway, but almost everytime I do, I got shit on and yelled at, I fear they just might vandelize it, considering I've had my window broken before while no belongings were taken at that space.

winson604 09-05-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx042003 (Post 8314316)
yeah..that's what I thought...I just don't like their attitude about it. Sometimes they even go as far as placing a bucket to reserve it.

I plan on walking over today and ask the owner of the house to stop telling their tenants false info about parking spaces. I dont want my car to be vandelized for the odd times that I need to park there.... which i seldom do anyway, but almost everytime I do, I got shit on and yelled at, I fear they just might vandelize it, considering I've had my window broken before while no belongings were taken at that space.

Yea, it fucking sucks dude. Too many people think the spot in front of their house is their spot and get super pissed about it.

I'm not sure about other City's but in Vancouver it's against against the Bylaw to leave anything on the street to reserve parking. It's called Street Chattel and if you call the City of Vancouver, they'll actually send someone out to remove it.

AndroidAAA 09-05-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProBoostin (Post 8313908)
Not sure about Richmond, but in Burnaby if you park in front of someones house between 8am-6pm you can get a ticket from bylaw if the residents complain. Found out the hard way. Also don't know if it's the same in a cul-de-sac.

But if he hasn't complained to the city yet, fuck him and park there all you want until he does something about it with authorities.

Just for some clarification on Burnaby, you can only get a ticket if you park in front of someone's residence for over 3 hours between 8am-6pm.

Here is some useful information if you have no other choice but to park on the street in front of someone's residence in Burnaby.

1. Your vehicle has to be immediately abutting their property, meaning if its not 100 percent in front of their property no action will be taken by the city. So park your vehicle halfway between two houses, it is highly unlikely that BOTH residents will call to complain about your vehicle.

2. When a resident complains a bylaw officer comes and usually chalks the vehicle and that is when your time starts not when the resident calls in as the bylaw officer has to prove that your vehicle did not move for three hours. So chances are if you park your vehicle pretty close to 3pm the bylaw officer will not make it in time. Also they are usually busy clearing the no stopping rush hour lanes on Kingsway. (if your vehicle stays overnight make sure to move it before 11am the following day as the bylaw officer will still chalk your vehicle and check it the next day).

This only applies to Burnaby, I don't know anything about other cities other than that Surrey doesn't have a three hour bylaw, only 72 hour notices.

winson604 09-06-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndroidAAA (Post 8314649)
Just for some clarification on Burnaby, you can only get a ticket if you park in front of someone's residence for over 3 hours between 8am-6pm.

Here is some useful information if you have no other choice but to park on the street in front of someone's residence in Burnaby.

1. Your vehicle has to be immediately abutting their property, meaning if its not 100 percent in front of their property no action will be taken by the city. So park your vehicle halfway between two houses, it is highly unlikely that BOTH residents will call to complain about your vehicle.

2. When a resident complains a bylaw officer comes and usually chalks the vehicle and that is when your time starts not when the resident calls in as the bylaw officer has to prove that your vehicle did not move for three hours. So chances are if you park your vehicle pretty close to 3pm the bylaw officer will not make it in time. Also they are usually busy clearing the no stopping rush hour lanes on Kingsway. (if your vehicle stays overnight make sure to move it before 11am the following day as the bylaw officer will still chalk your vehicle and check it the next day).

This only applies to Burnaby, I don't know anything about other cities other than that Surrey doesn't have a three hour bylaw, only 72 hour notices.

I'll comment on Vancouver then.

1. Same thing applies as above in Vancouver.

2. The first time someone reports you, nothing happens. No officers will come chalk your tire, nothing. The reason is Parking Enforcement needs to get information from ICBC on whether or not your car is actually registered there or not. It takes up to 3 business days for them to gather this information. Then the next time when they call and give them the "log" number from the previous time, they'll look it up and see that the information from ICBC is now back, verified that you don't live there (or do) and send someone out to chalk. Even then, the 3hr bylaw is pretty low on the priority list because it's the biggest waste of time to enforce. Having to travel to a specific area for 1 single car plus they have to come back 3 hours later.

Soundy 09-06-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx042003 (Post 8314316)

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 8314526)
I'm not sure about other City's but in Vancouver it's against against the Bylaw to leave anything on the street to reserve parking. It's called Street Chattel and if you call the City of Vancouver, they'll actually send someone out to remove it.

Because you're incapable of moving a fucking bucket on your own?? Just push that bitch out of the way with your bumper.

Of course, my Jeep just parks over top of the bucket...

Inaii 09-06-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProBoostin (Post 8313908)

This only applies if you are not a resident of the street. If you are a resident, then you are allowed to park anywhere on the street regardless of how many hours.

My current neighbour is being a douche about this, apparently he is unable to read the bylaws correctly or the sign that is posted right outside on the light post. He's one of those stupid old people who thinks the street in front of his house is his and only he's allowed to park there.

winson604 09-06-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8314810)
Because you're incapable of moving a fucking bucket on your own?? Just push that bitch out of the way with your bumper.

Of course, my Jeep just parks over top of the bucket...

Some people are afraid of altercations though because it can get pretty ugly. Personally, I've never run into a situation where I wanted to park somewhere but it was reserved by some dumb ass bucket. I see it close to my house often and sometimes I just want to challenge it, get out of my car, take the bucket and throw it down the street, park, and see what happens.

Soundy 09-06-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 8314918)
Some people are afraid of altercations though because it can get pretty ugly. Personally, I've never run into a situation where I wanted to park somewhere but it was reserved by some dumb ass bucket. I see it close to my house often and sometimes I just want to challenge it, get out of my car, take the bucket and throw it down the street, park, and see what happens.

What are they gonna do, bring a shovel and beat the fuck out of your car? Make sure you get that on video ;)

Graeme S 09-06-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8314859)
This only applies if you are not a resident of the street. If you are a resident, then you are allowed to park anywhere on the street regardless of how many hours.

My current neighbour is being a douche about this, apparently he is unable to read the bylaws correctly or the sign that is posted right outside on the light post. He's one of those stupid old people who thinks the street in front of his house is his and only he's allowed to park there.

Quite. One of my neighbors up the street has a son with a company van, and he parks at home after he's off work. He's a glazier and is often on-call for emergencies when stores or houses have their windows broken. He's occasionally come home way late (as in in the wee hours of the morning) to have people yell at him when he leaves for work for 'taking their spot'.

So now he just uses the spare spot in the driveway behind my place. Might as well make nice with the neighbors.