REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
$5 off $20: CT: 6-8 Sept.

From the flyer this week, I would suggest the tap and die set for 34.99.. so it will be 29.99 or less based on the what your gift card gives you. Or you can spend it on Mobil1 oil which is 5L for 24 bucks (very limited grades though).

For those who don't know what tap and die are. They are used to create new threads on bolts or roundstock (die) or making new threads in screw holes.

Besides that, it is useful to clean / renew some old gunked up bits.. for me I needed to use them when I was taking apart a V12. It is definitely not a tool to learn how to use when you broke the bolt etc.. Practice on something no consequential like someone elses car first. Use plenty of lub.

Looks like the set comes with a thread gauges that will tell you which correct tap / die to use.

The impact socket set for 24 bucks also looks interesting, but I don't think you really need that for a home DIY scenario. Most of the time, you will get into trouble more than anything.
Advertisement

Last edited by godwin; 09-05-2013 at 08:44 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Do you have a link to the tap and die set? I need one but a lot of the kits I've seen don't have the right thread pitches that I'm looking for.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Yup it is Mastercraft Tap and Die Set, 76-pc | Canadian Tire

KMS carries weird thread pitches.. prices are reasonable if you are on the mailing list (just use your neighbours or street # that doesn't exist).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Do you have a link to the tap and die set? I need one but a lot of the kits I've seen don't have the right thread pitches that I'm looking for.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Ah, okay. Too bad it doesn't come with more fine thread as it looks to be mostly coarse thread.

Yeah, I've bought some oddball thread pitch taps through KMS and Raider before. Those single pieces get damn expensive.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

Pretty good sale, picked up that tap and die set, a new multimeter, digital calipers, and torque wrench.

Now, anyone know a good place to check the torque wrench calibration?
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #6

The easiest DIY way is to get a digital torque measure add on when they go on sale.. and measure your torque wrench against that. There should be a very small flat head screw head somewhere on the wrench body where you can calibrate.

Since most manual torque wrench are spring/torsion based, calibrate the points you use the most. eg I use my 3/4 to build motors the rod torque specs are 45-75.. I calibrate the torque wrench on 40-80 in 10ft increments. Have multiple ones if you are planning to use it in a lot of different applications.

Remember to reset the wrench back to 0 when you are done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuHua View Post
Pretty good sale, picked up that tap and die set, a new multimeter, digital calipers, and torque wrench.

Now, anyone know a good place to check the torque wrench calibration?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Remember to reset the wrench back to 0 when you are done with it.
THIS! Relaxing a torque wrench after usage is what keeps the spring at the correct level so the wrench remains calibrated, along with not using it as a hammer and so on. Its not a delicate tool, but use it properly...

Honestly buying a 1/2" drive or 3/8" drive torque wrench is cheap, but getting it certified can be pricey, there are lots of places that do it. But most backyard mechanics would probably find it easier and cheaper to buy a new wrench...

Acklands-Grainger charges something like 200 bucks for certification of a 1/2" drive torque wrench, and the price goes up from there for 3/4" drives and 1" drives.

My work sent a hydraulic TU-12 torque wrench in it was $1500 for a rebuild and certification, on the invoice $1000 of that was to pay for the certification.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
I STILL don't get it

Damn...that's pricey alright. I called McCann and they quoted $60 for 1/2" and 3/8" calibration and certification. Even that's almost as much as each of my wrenches haha.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Head Moderator

Yeah, if you're using lower end torque wrenches (Mastercraft, Craftsman, Powerfist/Pro Point, etc), it usually makes more sense to just go buy a new one or replace it under their lifetime warranty. However, if you're using a Snap-On, Mac, Matco, etc., it's usually worth the cost to have them recalibrated.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
would have been nice to see this a couple days ago, i need a tap set!
snails is offline   Reply With Quote