REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Where do you get your exhaust done? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688041-where-do-you-get-your-exhaust-done.html)

SpeedStars 09-08-2013 11:39 AM

Where do you get your exhaust done?

Hey everyone, i'm looking into getting a full exhaust system done for my '97 base prelude. I've looked at a few shops and they're giving me an estimate for 1-1.5k. Is this actually a reasonable price? Do any of you have any recommendations on the type of exhaust I should use for a decent sound and any shops? Much appreciated!

nabs 09-08-2013 11:47 AM

most ppl will recommend Muffler Man on kingsway, I would say DO NOT GO THERE.

They screwed up my exhaust royally, horror stories, they ruined the brand new tips on my exhaust by dragging it on the ground. My dual exhausts are not symmetric at all and one of them is bent downwards. I gave them a chance and asked them to fix it, they heated up the pipe behind the muffler and stuck a 3 inch pipe through the muffler tip and started to crank it to try to fix it. I immediately told them to get my car off the lift when I saw this. Waste of 120 dollars, but hey you get what you pay for. I would say take it to RISE or Speed Syndicate.

bLaz3d 09-08-2013 12:08 PM

G5

cho 09-08-2013 12:10 PM

+1 for the speed syndicate

wonton1017 09-08-2013 01:11 PM

Hoegler's quoted me $350 + tax to install (requires welding) my OEM performance exhaust, Muffler Man did it for $80. The welds are ugly, but I didn't really care as long as it functions properly and it does. The welds looked like a 6/10 job.

Hoegler's quoted me $200 + tax to weld on my quad tips, Muffler man did it for $80 + tax (tax = warranty, so just pay the tax). This time a different guy did it and the welds look like I did it at a completely different shop. The welds looked like a 9/10 job.

Need a cheap quick job, go to Muffler man. Need a nice looking job that costs more for sure, go some where else.

PLUJ 09-08-2013 02:17 PM

Randy's Brake and muffler honest guy, and fair prices.

sdubfid 09-08-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedStars (Post 8315970)
Hey everyone, i'm looking into getting a full exhaust system done for my '97 base prelude. I've looked at a few shops and they're giving me an estimate for 1-1.5k. Is this actually a reasonable price? Do any of you have any recommendations on the type of exhaust I should use for a decent sound and any shops? Much appreciated!

It's a reasonable price if you want something built from scratch, tig welded and backpurged with vband connections and lifetime warranty that nobody else will have.

If you are on a budget much better to buy a pre-made system.

Think of it this way: you can buy a pre-made couch at the brick or you can pay some crazy euro with 40 years experience to cut/assemble/upholster it.

One will be cheaper and one will be better but they will both serve the same purpose.

You can buy a complete stainless header and exhaust for your car on ebay for $188. Even if you have to spend a bit to modify it you are still ahead of the game. No matter what you do it will still sound like hell.

meme405 09-08-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdubfid (Post 8316122)
No matter what you do it will still sound like hell.

:lawl:

SpeedStars 09-08-2013 08:08 PM

I've browsed through Andy's auto a bit now, and if I get something like Megan Race Headers + an Apexi N1 muffler, could I still keep the stock piping? Or should I shell out some more and go with a complete set?
Posted via RS Mobile

XplicitLuder 09-08-2013 08:21 PM

buy a premade exhaust and get it install. for that price range i would gladly buy a mugen exhaust for the lude which is about 800$ i think, and its one of the nicest exhaust for it

Bernard123 09-13-2013 04:20 AM

i have this once but now i sell it

Glove 09-13-2013 07:53 AM

ebay + my house

Phil@rise 09-13-2013 09:58 AM

thats crazy expensive for an exhaust on a street car

VanBCguy 03-15-2014 07:43 PM

CarLine in Ridge. Talk to Scott or Rob. They've done a few Jeep custom systems for me (custom tube bending to get around the long arms) and I haven't had a single issue. VERY reasonably priced too.

european 03-24-2014 11:26 AM

For that much money you can buy a full Mugen twin loop exhaust, which is well desired. The entire system includes the headers, downpipe, mid section and the twin loop muffler. Here are a couple of videos of the Mugen exhaust on my vehicle.

I purchased the full Mugen twin loop exhaust for my 97 Prelude many years ago and I think it's the best exhaust for that particular car for overall sound, looks and performance. There are most likely better exhaust systems if one wants more power along with a tune. But one of the benefits that the Mugen exhaust has to offer is high quality craftsmanship. The welding is beautiful and everything fits perfectly on the Prelude, its straight bolt on/plug and play! It was easy to install and any mechanic can do it or you can even do it yourself if you have all of the tools.

I recommend GarageFive, Speed Syndicate, GearHeads or AJ Racing. They can order any exhaust system that you may be interested in and provide installation as well. Perhaps speak with one of their sales representatives and they can point you in the right direction.
If you want more input from other Prelude owners, check out preludepower.com as they have many resourceful threads loaded with information on many topics. It's a great website for Prelude enthusiasts. You may also wish to check out vancouverpreludeclub.net and hondaprelude.to

I will try to find and post some photos and hopefully finish one of the videos that I've been working on as the two that I currently have on my YouTube page are not of great quality. I believe my microphone settings were too high, thus all of the distortion in the audio.

Goodluck!
Cheers
Mike

Gregboat 05-31-2014 12:40 PM

I don't know if this helps, but about six months ago I purchased a flowmaster 60 series muffler and a Magnaflow Highflow cat $160 before taxes (work discount).

I took it to Evolution performance in Maple ridge and they welded in the muffler, installed the cat and made a new 2" system from the cat, which cost $200 all together.

uazdrprz6771 06-12-2014 12:29 AM

G shttp://weber.$$$$$$$$$$$$.com/3.jpg

kevinC 08-17-2014 03:31 AM

Bumping this instead of making a new thread. Any other suggestions for a place? Custom exhaust for a reasonable price.

Noran 08-17-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinC (Post 8517668)
Bumping this instead of making a new thread. Any other suggestions for a place? Custom exhaust for a reasonable price.

I'd go to a trusted shop if you're doing any custom work.

I can't say anything bad about Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam, but they're fairly pricey. I'd at least give them a call to get a quote.

knight604 08-17-2014 11:39 AM

Mda fab

TjAlmeida 08-17-2014 11:51 AM

Evolution in ridge for fab work.

Maybe not as cheap as some, but you get what you pay for.

Wish I took pictures of the exhaust they made for my Evo.

acridintegra 08-18-2014 05:17 AM

MDA fab

kevinC 08-18-2014 12:57 PM

Would it be cheaper to buy my own muffler/resonator and just them do the piping and welding? Or to let the place order everything as well?

Nicks98Teg 09-05-2014 09:46 PM

I got mine done at Garage five

wheel604 01-22-2015 01:49 PM

i m new here. if u have not got them done yet can check out DYNAMIC on bridgeport