REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #101
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
Those guys also work like slaves and have no other lives than work, just to maintain those salaries. Money is nice but not everything.
If by regular shift work like any of the other jobs listed, as slave work. Sure. Having worked beside lots of them, definitely not like slaves. $1500+ a day is not slave labour pay.
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #102
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
If by regular shift work like any of the other jobs listed, as slave work. Sure. Having worked beside lots of them, definitely not like slaves. $1500+ a day is not slave labour pay.
I am with you, nothing about someone working hard and making lots of money makes that "slave labour".

We just so happen to prefer working 3 or 4 weeks in a row then having 1 or 2 weeks off in a row. Sure during those 3 weeks we work 11-16 hours a day but thats what we are there to do, WORK.

And besides you came into a thread about highest paid positions in BC expecting that the top jobs were going to be walks in the park?

Sorry but last time I checked waking up at noon and sitting on your ass playing video games paid absolutely nothing.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #103
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
once you are past the 6 figure mark...is it even worth it? 30% is going to CRA

i'd say the good occupation/professions are the ones where you get to choose how many days you work...which probably means you lose out on the benefits though
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #104
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
"Restaurant and food service managers - $38,424"

i wish i made at least that
Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #105
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
"Restaurant and food service managers - $38,424"

i wish i made at least that
Time to leave man!!! you said you were..
soymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #106
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I am with you, nothing about someone working hard and making lots of money makes that "slave labour".

We just so happen to prefer working 3 or 4 weeks in a row then having 1 or 2 weeks off in a row. Sure during those 3 weeks we work 11-16 hours a day but thats what we are there to do, WORK.

And besides you came into a thread about highest paid positions in BC expecting that the top jobs were going to be walks in the park?

Sorry but last time I checked waking up at noon and sitting on your ass playing video games paid absolutely nothing.

Might be misunderstanding, but are you directing the end of that post towards me? I have spent several years working in the Fort Mac area....working outside, not some warm desk job.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #107
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Work 3-4 weeks in a row, 11-16 hours a day? Sounds brutal and why I refereed it to slave work. I'd say I'm pretty fit but that would be absolutely exhausting work and would take a toll on the body over time. There is a reason why the turnover rate is so high in the oil industry....not for everyone. Once they realize that the money isn't worth it they gtfo asap.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #108
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
I have decided to go back to school and im in my first semester of bba accounting, but i'm thinking of switching to economy as my major instead of accounting. Is this a wise choice? opinions?
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #109
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
I have decided to go back to school and im in my first semester of bba accounting, but i'm thinking of switching to economy as my major instead of accounting. Is this a wise choice? opinions?
My opinion: stick with accounting.

Higher probability of getting a decent job when you graduate and get certified.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #110
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
What is your reason for switching?

For job purposes I'd say stick with accounting, general more jobs around and it is a bit more practical. If you really like economics as well why not do a double major or do a minor in it?

For me I started in economics and went to the UBC DAP to pursue accounting afterwards. To compare the two economics teaches you a method of thinking and analyzing, while accounting focuses a bit more on technical skills.

feedback
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #111
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
money is the motive
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #112
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
once you are past the 6 figure mark...is it even worth it? 30% is going to CRA

i'd say the good occupation/professions are the ones where you get to choose how many days you work...which probably means you lose out on the benefits though
A relative of mine works up North with his own company... less than 15% on close to 200k. There is a lot of operating costs which give him a break on taxes. Its not like you're pocketing 150 grand
Port Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #113

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^ Fair enough but what I think he meant was..

Getting paid tons but barely working.

Ex: My doctor works Monday, Tuesday, Wed from 9am-1pm. Thursday & Friday from 8am-5pm. She also takes about 8 weeks/year vacation.
Yet she gets paid $169k annually.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #114
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

Ex: My doctor works Monday, Tuesday, Wed from 9am-1pm. Thursday & Friday from 8am-5pm. She also takes about 8 weeks/year vacation.
She went to school for 4 years for an undergrad, 4 years of medical school, plus at least a year of residence. Her office is open for those hours, plus she probably stays later filling in charts so she can record down her patient history.

169k annual is what the BC Gov't pays her. It does not include deductions for her overhead, which will include the rent from the office, purchasing/leasing of her equipment, all her supplies, plus salaries for her receptionist, etc. She is paid per visit - so any vacation she does take - she isn't paid... If she decides to see less patients, she will get paid less.

I don't think it's a lot. My sister is a resident right now - and I have a few good friends who are either in Medical School or residents themselves. I have seen firsthand how much work they put in, starting in Undergrad, to all the late hours in Medical School, to all the 80 hour weeks they put in as a resident. I don't think 156k is a lot - since they worked so hard to get to where they are right now.

Not saying that every family doctor out there is a saint, but I definitely don't think Doctors are overpaid.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #115

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:

If being a doctor is a quick way to becoming rich, why didn't you become one instead of doing what you're doing now - being overworked, underpaid, and overtaxed?

People are usually paid what they're worth, aside from people who do menial work (in my opinion, people who work in retail and the like are underpaid).

We all know people who make 2-3 times as much as we do, yet how much do we complain in person? It's easy to complain on the internet when you don't have to be accountable for your accusations to someone in person. There are always outliers (people who are lucky), but the majority of people have to work their butts off, or work in dangerous/lousy conditions to make good money.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Might be misunderstanding, but are you directing the end of that post towards me? I have spent several years working in the Fort Mac area....working outside, not some warm desk job.
No sorry I agree with you 100% the last bit was for Belka.

Quote:
Work 3-4 weeks in a row, 11-16 hours a day? Sounds brutal and why I refereed it to slave work. I'd say I'm pretty fit but that would be absolutely exhausting work and would take a toll on the body over time. There is a reason why the turnover rate is so high in the oil industry....not for everyone. Once they realize that the money isn't worth it they gtfo asap.
Sure its not something everyone continues to do through their entire lives (some people do though). But when you are first out of college, and you have no family to take care of and you need the money, its an easy place to go and make 200k a year.

Hell if you do well and apply yourself you can get on a shutdown crew, work shutdowns which can be 24hrs on 24hrs off for 1 week, then go take a month off cause you just made 10 grand in a week.

My point was that you came into a thread specifically about making a lot of money and basically posted that you would rather sit on your ass and jerk it rather than go make something of yourself. And then you called people who are out there making money "slaves". As stated earlier:

Old 10-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #117
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
My point was that you came into a thread specifically about making a lot of money and basically posted that you would rather sit on your ass and jerk it rather than go make something of yourself.
Like I said, I'd rather work smarter than harder. If you need 200k/year and stupid work hours to feel accomplished then feel free to work up north. I might put in 20-25hours of actual work in a week, but I still make a reasonable 70k/year with full benefits. The oil industry allows stupid people to make a lot of money in a short amount of time. I'm not knocking it as its essential to our economy, but don't act like its some sort of fucking benchmark to be measured up to.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #118

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. About 2184 hours a year, 104 of that is double time. 40 hours a week is 2080 hours. 26 weeks of holidays a year isn't bad for being stupid.
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #119

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:

Are you sure those are not just office hrs? Some doctors like mine, work at the hospital as well. Also research hrs.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #120

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
If you want to make $200k+ without going to school for 8yrs+, I am surprised no one talks about professional selling. I am talking about sales for med to big size companies base + bonus or commission....I friend I use to work with sells boring ass dental picks to dental offices, makes $200k. Downside, has travel allot
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
If you want to make $200k+ without going to school for 8yrs+, I am surprised no one talks about professional selling. I am talking about sales for med to big size companies base + bonus or commission....I friend I use to work with sells boring ass dental picks to dental offices, makes $200k. Downside, has travel allot
Sales requires people skills and surprisingly, a lot of people don't have sufficient people skills. It's easy if you are a charmer, but the majority of people do not have the combination of charisma, relationship-building (and dare I say it, looks) to sell well.

I would say it's probably easier to work in the oil patch in cold weather busting your ass than selling stuff.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #122
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
The oil industry allows stupid people to make a lot of money in a short amount of time..
The stereotypes...
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #123
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
The oil industry allows stupid people to make a lot of money in a short amount of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
The stereotypes...
Well he is somewhat correct in saying that, with the following exception;

Labourers (I'm using them as my "stupid people") make an avg. of say 24$/hr, working 10 hours per day, on a 14/7 rotation. Using these values you can work this out to being an approximate gross income of $3,700 for every 21 day period, or $62,832 annually. That is probably on the high side, as most labourers also get 1-2 weeks off just for Xmas, and will likely have some extra vacation days due to court dates etc.

So it's really not "a lot of money" for most people, if anything it's "not bad" money.

I don't care what anyone says, 70k salary sucks, it was acceptable compensation 15 years ago - before housing prices went to the moon.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

I don't care what anyone says, 70k salary sucks, it was acceptable compensation 15 years ago - before housing prices went to the moon.
Any talk of salary should also include discussions about your benefits package too. Most people under 30 are relatively healthy, but once you hit 40, your body starts to slow down and you start needing things like physio appointments. RRSP plans, or perhaps a pension, are no-brainers. And of course, you need things like parental leave if you want to raise a family.

70K cash is not great, but if you have a company RRSP plan, medical benefits, parental leave, etc., it doesn't become so bad. If you and your partner make 70K each with full benefits and RRSP plans, then 140K is a pretty decent amount to live a middle-class life even in an expensive city like Vancouver. You may be renters though.

70K is a great if you're a single guy (and plan to stay that way), outgoing, and willing to move to where the work is on a moment's notice. You can definitely enjoy what Vancouver has to offer (the outdoors and your requisite nights out at Gastown bars, wine tasting events, etc.) with a Euro sports sedan in tow.

Last edited by Tapioca; 10-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Any talk of salary should also include discussions about your benefits package too. Most people under 30 are relatively healthy, but once you hit 40, your body starts to slow down and you start needing things like physio appointments. RRSP plans, or perhaps a pension, are no-brainers. And of course, you need things like parental leave if you want to raise a family.

70K cash is not great, but if you have a company RRSP plan, medical benefits, parental leave, etc., it doesn't become so bad. If you and your partner make 70K each with full benefits and RRSP plans, then 140K is a pretty decent amount to live a middle-class life even in an expensive city like Vancouver. You may be renters though.

70K is a great if you're a single guy (and plan to stay that way), outgoing, and willing to move to where the work is on a moment's notice. You can definitely enjoy what Vancouver has to offer (the outdoors and your requisite nights out at Gastown bars, wine tasting events, etc.) with a Euro sports sedan in tow.
You do realize that people who work in the oil patch get health benefits and retirement packages too right?