REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Resort vacation for newlyweds (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688205-resort-vacation-newlyweds.html)

haymura 09-12-2013 04:15 PM

Resort vacation for newlyweds

Hey guys, im trying to figure out the best spot for our honeymoon and ive narrowed it down to 3 places...

Los Cabos

Puerto Vallarta

Hawaii (not sure which area is best)

basically we want a relaxing resort where we can swim around in nice clear water, maybe have some activities like snorkeling, kayaking, and so forth, and just sit by the beach area and just enjoy a peaceful vacation.

i have never been in any of these places so i would like some suggestions on which one would be the best to take the wifey for a really nice honeymoon.

punkwax 09-12-2013 04:41 PM

Cabo is not a good place to swim. Strong current.

Puerto Vallarta is better for swimming, but not perfect. Cabo is also cooler temperature wise and much better than PV IMO.

Best place to swim in Mexico is Riviera Maya, south of Cancun as Cozumel blocks the waves like Vancouver Island does for us. Longer flight, but perfect for swimming and relaxing. Got married there and want to go back eventually.

If you go to Hawaii, Maui is the spot to be.

haymura 09-12-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8319178)
Cabo is not a good place to swim. Strong current.

Puerto Vallarta is better for swimming, but not perfect. Cabo is also cooler temperature wise and much better than PV IMO.

Best place to swim in Mexico is Riviera Maya, south of Cancun as Cozumel blocks the waves like Vancouver Island does for us. Longer flight, but perfect for swimming and relaxing. Got married there and want to go back eventually.

If you go to Hawaii, Maui is the spot to be.

between Hawaii and Mexico, which would you prefer?

punkwax 09-12-2013 05:37 PM

Really all depends on your budget and if you feel like doing nothing but being a beach bum without a care in the world, or if you want to plan excursions/adventures etc. Maui is a heck of a lot more expensive than an all inclusive in Mexico, but it' also cleaner/safer, you can drink the water etc.

Mexico is more relaxed I suppose because you can just chill, drink how much/when you like, eat as much as you want, just about whenever you want.. whereas with Hawaii you'd pay through the nose to eat out every night or else rent a condo and cook at your place more often that going out..

End of the day, Maui > Mexico but you get what you pay for in life..

chinook79 09-12-2013 10:53 PM

Hawaii has better food(if you stay at Oahu that is, but generally Hawaii is more expensive.
For Mexico, my favourite place is playa del carmen. 1.5hr drive south of Cancun. If you are looking for most bang for the money, Mexico would be better, if you are looking for safer place to drive around, eat at various restaurants, I would recommend Hawaii. If I were you, I would probably go Belize, better snorkeling too.. but then again, list goes on.. lol

P.S. Have you considered Cook Islands? it's not too expensive but the water is so clean there.

haymura 09-13-2013 10:24 AM

thanks for the input guys! ive decided to Los Cabos cuz its more bang for the buck. Im sure Hawaii is nice and all but maybe if it fits more in my budget then ill consider it.

6793026 09-13-2013 10:46 AM

book a medicore room and tell them it's your honeymoon as you just got married, tip them well and you'll get upgraded

duc_evo_sp 09-13-2013 10:50 AM

Cook Islands

Presto 09-13-2013 10:56 AM

What's your budget?

haymura 09-13-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 8319676)
What's your budget?

the one i saw on expedia.ca is $1100 per person for flight and hotel and im ok with that. If you got better suggestions my ears are wide open.

haymura 09-13-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duc_evo_sp (Post 8319669)
Cook Islands

i checked cook islands and its definitely super nice but super pricey as well. out of my budget for sure.

racerman88 09-13-2013 03:30 PM

Look into Varadero as well,in Cuba for all inclusive.

punkwax 09-13-2013 04:15 PM

Make sure to check http://www.travelbestbets.com/deals/los-cabos-mexico

Usually good prices for Riu Palace. Best place I've stayed at in Cabo. 5 star resort, all you can eat lobster one night! Free bottles of champagne up to the room no problem, in-room bar stocked with bottles of booze/beers but the current is insanely strong there (at least it was when I went). Far superior staff friendliness compared to other places I've stayed.

Barcelo is a pretty nice 4.5 star resort. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a free upgrade to a swim up pool room since its your honeymoon. Better beach for swimming, but still not ideal conditions. Better entertainment at Barcelo from that I remember. If you do go to Barcelo though, PM me and I'll forewarn you of some bad customer service I experienced/things to look for. Pain in the ass peso only cash payment system there too..

I highly recommend Riu Palace. Not the Sante Fe! It's in the Palace's parking lot lol

haymura 09-13-2013 04:27 PM

what im looking at right now is a resort called villa del arco in los cabos. rating and review seems to be good.

chinook79 09-14-2013 02:25 AM

try yvrdeals.com then look for all inclusive deal

Sample deal you can find is ..
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria (Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba)
$931/person taxes & fees included
5 star resort, 1 week

or

Catalonia Yucatan Beach (Puerto Aventuras, Mexico)

$680/person taxes & fees included

all all inclusive, direct flight

chinook79 09-14-2013 02:28 AM

I would really recommend nicer place since it's your honeymoon. Hopefully only once in lifetime, but then again, everyone's different. If you ever change your mind, St. Lucia has really amazing resorts as well as Cook islands as i mentioned above. Boracay Shangri-la is nice also.. especially if you stay at tree/pool villa but that's super expensive :P
Also while you are at it, google image Maldive and Bora Bora..
:P

whacko 09-14-2013 07:16 AM

boracay

haymura 09-14-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinook79 (Post 8320066)
I would really recommend nicer place since it's your honeymoon. Hopefully only once in lifetime, but then again, everyone's different. If you ever change your mind, St. Lucia has really amazing resorts as well as Cook islands as i mentioned above. Boracay Shangri-la is nice also.. especially if you stay at tree/pool villa but that's super expensive :P
Also while you are at it, google image Maldive and Bora Bora..
:P

Honestly, if i had the budget i would have picked maldives but unfortunately its very pricey there. I know the wife really wanted to go there but she understands that budget is tight and she's happy with anything really as long as it will take us away from the winter blues here for a bit.