REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #26
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

brb anyone making more money than me is overpaid
brb everyone is an electrician itt
brb all lineman work is the same
brb brb
Advertisement
jimmyrustler is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
I look at it this way -- as a crown corp, citizens have a right to demand accountability from it. After all, it is our tax dollars that are keeping their lights running.

Now, when it comes to OT, I subscribe to the believe that a little OT make sense, especially in the short term. On the other hand, frequent and massive amounts of OT are almost always a telltale sign of poor management of some kind, be it project management, human resource management, efficiency management, etc. In effect, the huge OT payouts are a symptom to bigger underlying problems that needs to be addressed.

So no, it isn't bxtching or whining. It's a problem that needs to be looked into and resolved for the benefits of our tax dollars.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
if you have time to worry about yourself, you're never going to improve yourself
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #29
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
People these days bitch about working 8 hour days, sitting behind a desk, and have 1 hour lunch breaks.... how many hours in an 8 hour day are you actually "working".. I am going to guess 4 at most.. you get what you pay for... So don't complain about making 30 40 or even 50gs a year for "working" 2 hours a day. 5 days a week, at a comfy desk... if you work it out, these "office" workers are probably "overpaid" compared to any hydro employee, cop, paramedic, nurse, etc.
SO true. There are alot of people on RS and around who work 35 hours a week, probably in a cushy union job, get an hour lunch and two 15s and bitch about not making enough money.

Trades and construction fucking LAUGH at 40 hour work weeks. Getting ahead in life on 40 hours a week is a thing of the past. If I work a 40 hour work week it means I took 2 extra days off. Most of the guys you see making big money WORKING are putting a shitload of OT in, or running their own business putting uncountable hours in. There is no strolling in at 8:15 on a Friday and saying "Ill leave it until monday" in the construction world. It's on site at 7am and "Get this project done so I can get paid and start a new one on monday"

Even guys up north who make $150k/year arent making astronomical hourly salaries, they just work their fucking nuts off putting in crazy OT. Doing jobs most of you office 'business degree' guys wouldn't even make it until lunch doing.

It might sound ridiculous to someone who doesn't understand. But when you realize I can can make more than your 2 week pay cheque working 2 extra days this weekend on a side project, not even counting the Monday-Friday work, you can start to see where where the money comes from.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
SO true. There are alot of people on RS and around who work 35 hours a week, probably in a cushy union job, get an hour lunch and two 15s and bitch about not making enough money.
I don't think union guys complain about their jobs because they know they have it good. I would imagine the people who do low grade white collar work - clerical work, or call centre type stuff - complain the most (been there, done that). Or perhaps people who work in retail (been there, done that too).

Or people just complain because they have an axe to grind and can't stand someone else making more money than them.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I look at it this way -- as a crown corp, citizens have a right to demand accountability from it. After all, it is our tax dollars that are keeping their lights running.

Now, when it comes to OT, I subscribe to the believe that a little OT make sense, especially in the short term. On the other hand, frequent and massive amounts of OT are almost always a telltale sign of poor management of some kind, be it project management, human resource management, efficiency management, etc. In effect, the huge OT payouts are a symptom to bigger underlying problems that needs to be addressed.

So no, it isn't bxtching or whining. It's a problem that needs to be looked into and resolved for the benefits of our tax dollars.
Your idea of OT doesn't always apply to this. A lot of union jobs will pay regular pay during the week during the day but automatically pay overtime outs you're working in the middle of the night or on weekends. It's not about being under staffed. You can't choose when a storm hits, and you can't station people everywhere. If power goes down in the middle of the boonies, and the closest team is 2 hours away, you still have to send them, you can't wait till the weekend is over.

The other thing- this is a crown corporation. It was put in place so that everyone gets a fair price. We can't charge rural customers more, even though it costs more to provide power to them.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Even guys up north who make $150k/year arent making astronomical hourly salaries, they just work their fucking nuts off putting in crazy OT. Doing jobs most of you office 'business degree' guys wouldn't even make it until lunch doing.
Its amazing how many people don't understand this. Even some of the people that do this don't understand this.
"bro I'm getting paid so well up in ft.mack, you get paid half what I make!"
Yeah but I also don't want to haul shit in -40 and get called a faggot 16 hours a day 21 days in a row by some asshole that has only ever fucked girls that he paid for.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #33
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I am willing to work any amount of OT, 24/7 if i can make 100k....
Posted via RS Mobile
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #34
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Then go to Alberta..
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^Still unemployed
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #36

no offence to the tradespeople but whenever I have a conversation with them it seems like they only know how to use the words "fuck" and "shit" in their vocabulary, even to strangers.

And a great majority of tradepeople making "bank" always loves to brag how much they make compared to the white-collar educated person even though they are killing their body long-term. They also love to SPEND instead of SAVE. New Dodge RAM3500, alcohol, whores, snowmobiles etc. The debt they incur pretty much forces them to live up there forever.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #37
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
^ fuck that shit.

ya a good chunk of up north guys burn cash, thats fairly well known. but I think most guys who work local are more responsible with their money.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
let's be real here, the real outrage is CBC employees making over $100,000 a year

730 CBC employees take home more than $100,000 a year | National Post

facts:
- cbc sucks donkey balls, only hockey is good on this channel
- i can get my news from literally any other outlet
- cbc original programming is so bad, i dont understand who would be retarded enough to actually watch it (lil mosque on the prarie)

whereas hydro employees are busting their balls to get clean sustainable energy provided for us, cbc just produces and airs crap
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
And a great majority of white-collar workers making "bank" always loves to brag how much they make compared to the blue-collar worker even though they are killing their body long-term by sitting on their asses all day at a desk, slouched over a computer. They also love to SPEND instead of SAVE. New BMWs they probably shouldn't have leased, buy homes they can't afford, alcohol, take vacations they pay with credit etc. The debt they incur pretty much forces them to live like this forever.
Fixed that for you, with a bit of sarcasm. Look, there's always going to be certain people that cannot manage their money, regardless of their occupation.

I'm not a blue collar worker at all, but I respect people doing trades work. It's a skill that some don't have and if they're willing to get their hands dirty and work in remote locations, shit, they've earned that money.

People need to look at how difficult it is to get to where some of these workers are, and not just look at the end compensation.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #40
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
alot of people working in Alberta in the oil/gas industry only know short-term thinking, they work hard for 6 months have 20k in the bank after terrible spending habits then feel the need to make a purchase to have somthing tangible for their hard work

on the other hand there are many who are very frugal with their income, save, dont go out drinking and partying on their days off, and reach their goals of saving etc

4 of my good friends all live/work in Cold Lake now, one guy does HR work, the 3 others work in the field. 2 of them had barely had full time jobs prior to going to Cold Lake, they had no trades training and had fairly cushy lives up to that point, now 8 months later these two who had little to no management/construction/oil industry knowledge are now foremen for crews making 45+ an hour with $150 live out allowance per day.

most of them are terrible with money as has been expressed, but eventually they will smarten up, you save 50K over a year and a bit, buy a rental property down here, continue living up there, profit

All of these people got up there on their own, no help from anyone until 1 guy had become established, now they are all fully employed by imperial oil

there is -nothing- difficult about getting a job up there, and making very good money staying up there with the conditions, work, living is another thing
Old 09-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
i love George Strom from Much Music / CBC. Fun guy!

Must be making bank though if they didn't announce his pay

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #42
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post

facts:
- cbc sucks donkey balls, only hockey is good on this channel
- i can get my news from literally any other outlet
- cbc original programming is so bad, i dont understand who would be retarded enough to actually watch it (lil mosque on the prarie)

whereas hydro employees are busting their balls to get clean sustainable energy provided for us, cbc just produces and airs crap

CBC is killing it right now.

Dragons den
Strombo
Battle of the blades (genius idea)
Heartland
Murdoch Mysteries
Republic of Doyle
and now they got recipe to riches

All those shows are hits and have big followings.

You and to see bad original programing look a TLC and slice.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #43
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
And yes, you can get shit news from many outlets, but only the CBC doesn't have an interest in shaping the news.

CTV is a media conglomerate...do you think their reporting would ever be critical of Bell?

Global? Shaw is into a lot more than just over-priced cable.

We need to protect something to do with independent news sources.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #44
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
CBC is also way more popular and relevant back east.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #45

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Yeah it must be a back east thing cause whenever I see a preview for any of their shows I think to myself who watches this shit?
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #46

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
vancouver is more about the US type of shows

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #47
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
no offence to the tradespeople but whenever I have a conversation with them it seems like they only know how to use the words "fuck" and "shit" in their vocabulary, even to strangers.

And a great majority of tradepeople making "bank" always loves to brag how much they make compared to the white-collar educated person even though they are killing their body long-term. They also love to SPEND instead of SAVE. New Dodge RAM3500, alcohol, whores, snowmobiles etc. The debt they incur pretty much forces them to live up there forever.
I work in a trade locally but not in the field anymore behind a desk project managing and estimating. I do swear more then your average Joe but most of it is at my computer, I talk to myself a lot when I work to it helps me work things out . I don't have stupid spending habbits, I don't smoke or do drugs and I rarely drink. There are all kinds.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #48
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Wow, compensating people for skilled work and labour? Imagine that?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Oh wait, you can't because you don't have the proper skills.

I guess start complaining that you don't have the proper skills? How Vancouver-like. Find something to complain about..
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #49
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

A "great majority?" How many tradespeople above the age of 25 do you talk to? Pretty sure you're talking about a vocal super-minority of tradespeople there...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #50
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:

I'm a tradesperson. I don't swear or flaunt my income, and my financial management/planning skills are excellent. I don't destroy my body at work, and arguably the physical nature is a health benefit over desk work. I rarely meet tradespeople that are as you describe; I do meet unskilled labourers that are as you describe. The unskilled labourer types wouldn't cut it as carpenters, electricians, plumbers, gasfitters, or any other highly skilled position in trades. The trades require intelligence, work ethic, and great pride in producing quality work to achieve success, so straighten out your generalizations.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: