REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   10 Qualities That Make You a Fierce Gentleman (https://www.revscene.net/forums/688677-10-qualities-make-you-fierce-gentleman.html)

Culture_Vulture 09-28-2013 03:18 AM

10 Qualities That Make You a Fierce Gentleman

Quote:

Okay, so you’ve read the Manifesto, and it’s not bad, so far as rhetoric goes.

The 11th quality of being a Fierce Gentleman: your name is Nick Wooster.
The 11th quality of being a Fierce Gentleman: your name is Nick Wooster.
But what does it mean?

How would you know a Fierce Gentleman walking down the street, and how would you tell him apart from just another Joe Schmoe (excuse me — a Man who has not yet come to the realization that the current global situation was calling him urgently to become a Fierce Gentleman)?

Below is the sure-fire ways to tell if the guy you’re seeing is, in fact, a Fierce Gentleman: the ten characteristics that set the F.G. apart from other blokes.

His style and manner of dress is impeccable. This ought to go without saying, but apparently needs to be said: the Fierce Gentleman is dressed for success every single day. He takes no days off from excellence, and this is reflected in his dress as well as in his attitude. He’s probably wearing a suit, and it’s probably tailored. He matches. He’s clean and pressed. He has good personal hygiene and, if you get close to him, he smells good (but not overpoweringly good). By itself, this is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a Fierce Gentleman (which we shall abbreviate henceforth as F.G.): plenty of men dress well and take good care of themselves, but not all of them are gentlemen, nor are all of them particularly fierce.

He’s considerate. None of this fake-Alpha machismo crap: He doesn’t cut in line or steal cabs from other people at the end of the night. To the contrary, he holds doors for people (not just women, although he does hold doors particularly for women), lets others cut in line at the grocery store if they have fewer items than him, and generally goes out of his way to accommodate others and pay them consideration in matters big and small.
He’s chivalrous. His approach to women is an mixture of respect, adoration, and cherishing amusement. He will hold doors for her, doff his hat on her approach, rise if she approaches when he is sitting, take her coat, offer to seat her, push in her chair as she sits. An entire group of F.G.s, seated together when a woman approaches, make for a stirring sight as they all rise simultaneously and offer to take her things or provision her with a seat. Although this may seem old-fashioned and unnecessary at first (and many do say so) women as well as men enjoy it.

He understands that his life is about service to others, not serving himself. This goes beyond being polite and considerate: those are just rules of etiquette and polite society and as such, are meaningless without a deeper conviction. For a F.G., service to others is that underlying conviction. He understands that all ego-gratification plans are scheduled for failure; and, similarly, that his efforts to enrich the lives of all those around him are destined for eventual success. He understands that Nature provides resources to the individual in direct proportion to the scale of the role they have undertaken in the ecosystem; thus, to be about as big an idea as he can possibly manage, he will naturally command resources commensurate with the bigness of his role. You can detect this element in conversation, or by reputation, if the man is very well known and publicly seen to be achieving great things, with great resources (Elon Musk is an example. Sal Khan is another.)
He has done, and is doing, his work. A F.G. works diligently and consistently to improve himself in all ways, and to continually remove the limits on his degrees of freedom in all aspects of life: physical, mental, emotional, financial, sexual, social, spiritual. In this endeavor he is not ashamed to consult experts, enlist aid, invest time and energy and money, and ask for help. Because of this, a F.G. can almost always be seen to be: athletic or working at some physical pursuit, self-aware and introspective, emotionally mature, mentally sharp, knowledgeable and worldly, calm and imperturbable, in control of his financial situation, present and aware, a competent-to-exceptional lover, with both breadth and depth of friendships and relationships, and with a deeper metaphysical perspective on life, the Universe, and everything. Such Qualities are greatly to be desired in a friend, lover, partner, father, husband, and son, and consequently. . .

He is in demand. “If you need something done, ask a busy person to do it.” A F.G. is notable by the pace and volume of his output and throughput and does not seem perturbed or winded by what others would consider a blistering pace. This ability to conscientiously and thoroughly execute makes F.G.s highly desirable in any business, even in government bureaucracies, and more precious than gold in new businesses startup where the workload is inhuman and the labor must be born with a maximum of charisma. The F.G. does not become conceited about this ability, however, and will smilingly offer to help others if they are becoming swamped, even if his plate already seems full. Despite all this. . .

He has backbone. Despite being accommodating, considerate, helpful and fundamentally of service, the Fierce Gentleman is the farthest thing possible from a doormat. Because of his intimately awareness of his own limits and his constant striving to live and playing at his edge, he knows what he can and cannot do, and has no qualms about saying “No” or laughing off unreasonable requests or onerous expectations. Because he has done and is doing his “work,” he knows his own weak areas and trigger points, and is very careful to avoid them altogether or navigate around them. Because he knows what he is about in life, he follows his own strong compass with integrity, and categorically refuses to be pulled off-mission by this or that influence or request. A Fierce Gentleman is so consistent and trustable in this regard that a person may set their own compass by his.
He has access to, and follows, his inner wisdom. He may call it God or the Divine Mind Within or insight or intuition or any other name, but the Fierce Gentleman has cultivated it, has regular access to it, and minds what it tells him. He also realizes that within him is an inexhaustible fountain of creativity, and therefore he has laid aside all fear of ever “running out of ideas.” (This may be particularly evident of he is involved in the arts or other creative pursuits.)
He follows his own passions, wherever they may lead. Living in an age of near-perfect access to information and know-how, the Fierce Gentleman takes time to pursue his passions ardently and in a way that expresses his innate creativity. Because of this, he is often a fount of knowledge on an obscure topic you may have never heard of, or have a special skill or talent refined over years of practice that may or may not be valuable or desirable as the world defines such things (and little does he care for the world’s approval!) Or he may have dabbled in a variety of diverse areas, jack of all trades and master of none. A true F.G. may well oscillate through periods of intense focus on a single idea or business or purpose, forsaking all hobbies and passions in the meantime, and it is natural and proper that he should do this: he will return to his passion(s) when a cycle of rest and relaxation follows his next great triumph or achievement.

He is a fierce warrior. Why call him a Fierce Gentleman? So far, his qualities seem to involve a great deal of service, gentleness, and consideration for others. How can such a one be called fierce? Isn’t this word to be reserved for menacing & dangerous wild animals, the violently intense, the threatening and the savage? Well, while all those descriptors could apply to a Fierce Gentleman whose loved ones have come under threat or attack and who realizes that he is the sole line of defense in the preservation of their persons, the word fierce also and equally means: “resolute or strenuously active” “of exceptional quality, exhibiting boldness or chutzpah” and “very, excellent.” These are the meanings we apply when we say a man is a Fierce Gentleman. Although he has principally banished violence from his life, this man is nevertheless a warrior, confronting the biggest and baddest dragons that plague the modern world, brooking no cowardice, shrinking from no challenge, stepping through his own fear and staying brave “5 minutes longer” than the ordinary man, as Emerson said. You will be able to tell this from your dealings with this man. You will be able to feel his strength, unafraid, in each moment. It is impossible to fake.
There you have ten ways to discern a Fierce Gentleman. If even a few of them are present, he is surely on the path towards becoming a full-fledged F.G., and you ought to point him to this blog, that he may more actively cultivate himself along this path.

If all ten are present, then you are lucky indeed to have made his acquaintance. Treat him well, for he will certainly treat you well, regardless of who you are.

The effects of having a Fierce Gentleman join an organization or group are of particular interest. Most commonly his presence will serve to sharpen the ambition (and improve the behavior) of men who witness his conduct. His treatment of the women in particular can cause initial confusion, and sometimes brings derision, until others see the results that come from a man treating a woman as a cherished, unique equal from a position of self-respect and without supplication.

In this way, the 11th characteristic of the F.G. may be that he inspires others to live better, by his mere presence. This inspirational / aspirational aspect of the F.G. is part of what makes them so powerful in a world so bereft of role models.

Now that you’ve read the overview and the practical markers of the Fierce Gentleman, go deeper down the rabbit hole of how to cultivate these qualities in yourself, by reading How One Becomes a Fierce Gentleman.
Source: 10 Qualities That Make You a Fierce Gentleman

I know there are a lot of similar pieces out there, but this one is actually very well written :)

NKC ONE 09-28-2013 08:43 AM

all i think think of is Bond, James Bond.

H.Specter 09-28-2013 09:36 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...From-South.JPG

tiger_handheld 09-28-2013 10:43 AM

tl;dr

coles notes?

dinosaur 09-28-2013 11:56 AM

tl;dr

coles notes: don't be a douche.

bcrdukes 09-29-2013 12:55 AM

Fuck you, dinosaur.

dinosaur 09-29-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8329371)
Fuck you, dinosaur.

Can I have your baby?

Soundy 09-29-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 8328914)
I know there are a lot of similar pieces out there, but this one is actually very well written :)

TL;DR

http://gaia.adage.com/images/bin/ima...jpg?1347661058

LC21 09-29-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8329430)
Can I have your baby?

Would gridlock allow that?
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 09-29-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC21 (Post 8329470)
Would gridlock allow that?
Posted via RS Mobile

He has always wanted a "halfer".

Soundy 09-29-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8329472)
He has always wanted a "halfer".

Now THAT is fuq'n FUNNY

stewie 09-29-2013 10:51 AM

stupid article in my mind...

fuck the suits. if your wearing one every day, that to me sounds like a douche bag or a work-a-holic who even makes his relationship feel like a job.

most people have the common sense to hold a door open for someone whether its a guy or a woman, along with letting someone jump in line at a grocery store.

for pace and volume shit at work, fuck that. most people will at least attempt to offer help to someone who needs it despite how much of a work load they already have. again, just because hes wearing a suit means nothing to me...if I can do the same job wearing jeans and a fitted shirt, whats the difference? (other than hes wearing a suit...look at mark zukerberg, hell he can do his job in sweatpants and a shirt with 3 week old mustard stains on it...) I don't care if a random person on the street see's me and thinks "oh he seems like a powerful man, I should respect him"...I only want the respect from the people that matter to me, my family and friends and co workers.

the backbone part...again, stupid. everyone knows their limits, those that don't are called dumbasses. if I go downtown, I drink, I stop when I start to get a buzz feeling and keep it at that buzz. I don't get black out drunk like some guys/women and try to start a conga line down the middle of Granville street.

not even goin to bother with the rest lol.

I cant stand these "this is what it takes to be a man" things...fuck I know people who work at grocery stores and fit every description on that list except for the suit part.

dinosaur 09-29-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 8329490)
if your wearing one every day, that to me sounds like a douche bag

look at mark zukerberg, hell he can do his job in sweatpants and a shirt with 3 week old mustard stains on it

:rukidding:

Just proves that wearing a suit doesn't make you a douche bag. being a douche bag makes you a douche bag.

Gridlock 09-29-2013 12:00 PM

For the record, half opinionated dinosaur/half hipster was not the halfer combination I was talking about.
Posted via RS Mobile

guddagudd 09-29-2013 12:38 PM

solid list

stewie 09-29-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8329532)
:rukidding:

Just proves that wearing a suit doesn't make you a douche bag. being a douche bag makes you a douche bag.

suit or not, douche bag or not, there's still people who can be complete douches but still be highly respected