REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #526
My homepage has been set to RS

Even if cyborg can cut down, I doubt Dana would want her to fight his prized pig.

& Agreed that Ronda is the only fighter using Judo effectively. Sexy yama was decent but felt like he always wanted to stand up and get his face punched in. Regardless of the size difference in the men's division, a good judoka can overcome it with speed/technique (to a degree). Then again, you'll have to be confident on your ground game if you do bring it to the mat.
Advertisement
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #527
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
^Karo Parisian's judo throws are the best, best throws in the land. All the other judo throws, are done by little girls.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #528
NSX
NA1

Ronda's Moms thoughts on UFC 168

Dr. De Mars blog on having achieved success in business, sports and academics without ever actually having grown up. Also includes random thoughts on judo, parenting,mixed martial arts, winning & whatever I feel like rambling on about today.
Sunday, December 29, 2013
Thoughts on Ronda at UFC 168
You may have heard there was a UFC fight this weekend. My husband asked me what I thought about Ronda's fight and I'll tell you the same thing that I told him.

It was clear to me that she took 0 chances in the fight. In her earlier fights, she had taken more risks and even though that resulted in her winning her fights very quickly, it also meant that a couple of times she got in positions that were a disadvantage and that she had to fight out her way out of.

In this fight, she only went for the arm bar when she could could do it without taking any chances of giving her opponent an advantage. It's not the way I would have done it, which is interesting because when we did judo, if you compared Ronda's matches to mine, she was generally more of a risk taker.

Be that as it may, I am very hesitant to criticize the decisions elite athletes make in a match, especially when they win. You can make suggestions as a coach, but the fact is, it's not you out there fighting and the person who is fighting has to make snap decisions based on numerous variables - the way they feel balanced, the other person's balance, direction of movement, etc.

I told Ronda what I have told her a hundred times,

"If the referee's hand goes to the side you are on (i.e., you won), then you did it right."

For all of the people talking about Ronda's manners, behavior, etc. etc. I will tell you two things:

As I told the nice man from ESPN. Ronda is 26 years old and in a very public arena. If you think of all of the things you see from entertainers and professional athletes - DUI, steroid use, wild parties, drug rehab, multiple extramarital affairs and on and on. Or just think of the average 26-year-old. If you're a parent and the WORST thing anyone can say about your 26-year-old child is that he or she says "Fuck" and didn't shake someone's hand, you ought to go to mass, light candles, get down on your knees and say a prayer of thanks.

Recently someone who had lied to me and about me came up to me at an event and tried to shake my hand. I told him, "You've got to be kidding me!' If you lie about someone behind their back, disrespect them and their friends, I completely understand if that person doesn't want to shake hands with you. Pretending that "It's all good now" might make the liar feel better but I don't see why you should do it. If that's what you think you should do, then I won't tell you how to run your life, but I personally have seen a lot of organizations that are completely ineffective because everyone tries to get along, and people who are dishonest or incompetent stick around because no one wants to get in their face and tell them to get the hell out.
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #529
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Spoiler!

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #530
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Don yung Kim ' s judo is pretty good too
Posted via RS Mobile
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #531
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
Spoiler!
Check out the eye contact
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #532
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,557 Times in 1,708 Posts
Went on sherdog after the fights only to see dudes posting shit questioning Silva's resume of fighters, LMAO. I hate fans of any sport. Boxing has the same type of fuckheads who used to say the same about Tyson, of course before it became cool to like Tyson again.

Silva is a champion, a true champion who beat every top guy they put against him for almost a decade. These couch sitting faggots could never fathom a fight against some loser outside a nightclub, much less fighting trained murderers year after year. The USA USA chants made me want to break the fucking TV.

Anyways I'm done my rant, I hope Silva retires, I don't think his legacy should be tarnished from Saturday's fight. He's the best to have ever done it.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #533

To be fair, I think the MW division was the weakest division for a long long time. I mean, Tales Lates? Patrick Cote? Travis Luter? There is no questioning Andersons legacy, and he has a long list of notable wins during his run, but there really weren't alot of quality contenders in the division for a long while and alot of his opponents didnt deserve to be in a cage with him. While most of the other divisions had bon-a-fide contenders, guys in the MW division were getting title fights because they hadn't lost in a fight or 2. Beating Drew McFedries and getting a title shot is a pretty 'easy' route.

Last edited by RRxtar; 12-31-2013 at 05:12 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #534
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
I have no problem with the USA chants, when the crowd had to deal with annoying brazilian fans chanting "you're going to die" and "Brazil" all night. Except when their guy wasn't a favourite... In that case, they didn't seem to care.

Not that they had much to cheer for that night anyway

Also have you watched any of the shows that take place in Brazil? They boo everyone who isn't Brazilian, chanting really nasty things at them, etc. It is WAY more annoying than the occasional "USA" chant, IMO

As for Silva's legacy, I think it stands up to scrutiny as well as anyone's. Certainly way better than Fedor post 2006 (when Anderson started fighting in UFC)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #535

Good to see him in good spirits with family
This post thanked by:
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #536
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,148 Times in 262 Posts
2 n r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #537

So. Where do we go from here?

Just for fun I took a look back to the time around UFC 100 where the UFC stood 3 to 4 years ago.

UFC 100 featured Brock Lesnar at his peak, GSP, Henderson, Bisping, Mir, Coleman, Bonnar, Fitch, and even a younger Jon Jones on the prelims.

The next few events featured champion BJ Penn, Anderson Silva, Forrest just after his title, Big Nog vs Randy, JDS on a tear, CroCop, Franklyn, new Vitor, Machida vs Shogun, Cain on his way up, Dan Hardy pre-GSP, and others

This was also the era where Rampage, Tito, Chuck, Carwin and Wanderlei were all selling tickets.

Fast forward a short 3 years, and ALL of them have retired or otherwise moved on, or have lost a ton of marketability due to losses except for the new-old-newTRT Vitor and Cain, with JDS and mw-Machida needing to build that marketability back. Henderson is clearly on his way down, and Bisping is in limbo. Mir is a fight away from retirement, Shogun could go either way, and expensive imports like Overeem and Barnett have failed to stay on top.

The USA has lost all of their top guys in Brock, Henderson, Chuck, Randy, Rampage, Forrest, Franklyn, Hughes.

Every champion in 2014 will be different than 2012.

According to MMAPayout, the top 10 draws in the UFC in 2012 were:
10: Forrest
9: BJ
8: Dan Henderson
7: Nick Diaz
6: Chael
5: JDS
4: Rashad
3: JJ
2: Anderson
1: GSP

Within the last month, the UFC has lost its top 2 guys. Canada has lost GSP, and the world has lost Anderson. And BJ, Henderson, Nick and Chael are likely going to come off that list as well.

In 2014, who are the top 5-10 guys going to be? Can Jones, Ronda, Cain, and Weidman fill in for the previous generation?

Will the UFC put as much marketing behind Weidman as other current champs? It is likely he will either get eaten alive by Vitor, or within a couple of fights shortly after. Will the UFC push Vitor knowing he is essentially a cheating-the-TRT-system posterboy? Can Hendricks/Robbie draw interest? Will anyone care for anyone under 155lbs including Aldo, or any women aside from Rousey?

This is especially troubling considering Cain, Pettis, and a few others are going to be on the shelf for much of the year.

PPV numbers are undoubtedly going to continue to drop. But due to saturation and worldwide reach (something like 7 events in asia, and 10 in brazil alone), worldwide viewership, I would think, is most likely going to grow.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #538
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Wow, didn't know Forrest was that big of a draw to make top 10.

Rory will probably be pushed as the next gsp by Dana and he's hoping he makes it as big as him.

BJ is back too so that's another draw that could help and I'll definitely watch lol.... I'm surprised they haven't hooked him up with a fight in Hawaii yet...I think it's been long overdue as well.

I personally don't think Ronda will be a huge ppv draw or carry a ppv on her own without huge star power supporting the card. Her next fight is a pretty damn stacked card

BTW..anyone try the free trial of UFC fight pass yet lol I think it's free for 2 months
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #539

Rousey is already proven as a draw. The two biggest PPVs in 2013 were co-headlined by her. 168 was obviously the biggest card in a while but when she can do 500K buys with Liz Carmouche, a literal unknown, you can't dispute it. Compare that with Dan Henderson vs Rashad or Jose Aldo defending his title, those cards are in the 100K range.

I agree though that overall there aren't as many stars as there used to be.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #540
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Rousey will likely be the highest paid UFC fighter next year.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #541
My homepage has been set to RS

I really don't think Rory will be as good as people say he will be. Not to mention, he can't promote for his life and his awkwardness doesn't help at all.

If he has some more losses, I could see him being cut.

And agreed, I also could see Rhonda being the #1 paid fighter this year
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #542
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

KAWAJIRI!
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #543
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Singapore card was actually pretty good! Main event was a nice one.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #544

I don't think Rory is going to turn out the way we hoped/hyped. He's got a ton of skill but no power at all or killer instinct and has such an awkward personality it's hard to market him. Plus Dana is unimpressed from the elenberger fight and then the robbie loss.
Posted via RS Mobile
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #545

look forward to athletic commissions adopting this KO recovery technique

brb:
dump water on him
undo pants
stroke bbc for 2 minutes
cart away dead body for disposal
Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #546
x_x

Weidman will defend belt against ViTRTor in vegas
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #547
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Doesn't Vegas mean no jungle juice for Vitor then?

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #548
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Watch Vitor fight like shit now that it's in Vegas lol

I think the Ronda thing will get old when she clears out the best competition in like 3 fights. The only fight I really want to see would be against Cyborg, and that ain't happening.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #549
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
4 break into MMA fighters home one ends up dead.

MMA fighter Joe Torrez kills armed intruder Sal Garces in New Mexico | News.com.au
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #550

Dominick Cruz out of 169 with a lower body injury. Stripped of title (finally). Faber vs Barao for belt.