REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC Alternatives - Intact, CDI, FamilyInsurance, etc (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689117-icbc-alternatives-intact-cdi-familyinsurance-etc.html)

Acura604 10-10-2013 10:10 PM

ICBC Alternatives - Intact, CDI, FamilyInsurance, etc

Ok so we all know we need the basic ICBC coverage but who
went with someone else for the extras/comprehensive ?

Do these other insurance agencies really come out cheaper and if so,
is it significant ?

I'll be contacting Intact and CDI tomorrow to inquire on insuring 2 of my vehicles
to see if we really do have a worthwhile alternative than to give ICBC all of your
insurance money.
Posted via RS Mobile

Ikkaku 10-10-2013 11:04 PM

For our C300, the insurance guy at our work place highly recommended Family insurance. Seems a tad cheaper than regular ICBC, but he kept emphasizing how it provides much better service versus ICBC. As a result, we opted for it.

Knock on wood, we haven't had any issues thus far where we had to resort to calling them.

trollguy 10-11-2013 09:13 AM

my previous car was insured with CDI, then family. Family was cheaper than CDI for me. Both were a few hundred cheaper than ICBC

However, my current car, ICBC was cheaper for everything all in.

I never had a claim with either CDI or Family so I can't comment on the claims process. I just hope it's not as bad as Alberta's claim process.

xpl0sive 10-11-2013 09:37 AM

CDI has one of the worst claims service centers. I would rather pay more for ICBC than be insured with CDI. Family isn't bad, if you can get a better deal through them than ICBC, then go through them. You should look into BCAA as well. They have good customer service, pay claims promptly and have good relationships with body shops.

If you have a homeowners/condo/tenants insurance policy with one company, you may be able to get vehicle insurance from them as well. That way you'll get a way better deal. If the company you're currently with doesn't write auto, consider switching to a company who does. BCAA does once again. You can get your home/auto insurance through them, and I bet it will be a good deal.

Btw, I'm not affiliated with BCAA in any way. Just using them as an example

bcrdukes 10-11-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowguy (Post 8337248)
my previous car was insured with CDI, then family. Family was cheaper than CDI for me. Both were a few hundred cheaper than ICBC

However, my current car, ICBC was cheaper for everything all in.

I never had a claim with either CDI or Family so I can't comment on the claims process. I just hope it's not as bad as Alberta's claim process.

Sometimes, the savings isn't worth it. There are a lot of variables that contribute to the final dollars and cents to the point where it's like, "What?"

When I asked for a quote on my M3 from CDI and Family, the savings was maybe $250 - $300? But the deductible was also higher. Like yourself, I ended up going with ICBC any way.

VR6GTI 10-11-2013 10:00 AM

From my experience with dealing with insurance companies, ICBC is the best to deal with. Thats coming from someone thats had a very bad experience with them. But you only hear the horror stories of ICBC because 80%+ is insured with ICBC. With more people getting insured privately you will start to hear the good and bad from them all. Each claim is different but really all the private insurance companies just get in line and follow the rules that icbc regulates. At the end of the day they are all businesses looking out for themselves.

bcrdukes 10-11-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6GTI (Post 8337272)
At the end of the day they are business looking out for themselves.

+1

That and they discriminate and cherry pick their customers whereas ICBC does not and will not. You get insurance from ICBC regardless.

FerrariEnzo 10-12-2013 10:45 AM

I think its a bit more a hassle if something does happen.. you have to wait til ICBC and 3rd party gets/sends info... my experience is, when theres more people involve, it usually takes longer for things to get done...

xpl0sive 10-12-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8337274)
+1

That and they discriminate and cherry pick their customers whereas ICBC does not and will not. You get insurance from ICBC regardless.

they don't "discriminate". they pick the best risks to insure and give them a discount if they are very low risk. Insurance companies are in the business of making money, so they charge less premium but they hope to pay less claims as well. Someone who's 40+, no accidents, no tickets would be paying a lot less through a private carrier than through ICBC.

bcrdukes 10-12-2013 06:53 PM

ok