REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Nootropic Stacks/Cognitive health Thread

Anyone running any nootropic stacks at the moment?

I've used AlphaBrain before and results were decent -- had tons of motivation/focus and I felt mentally very sharp. I want to try and make my own stack of nootropics .... anyone got a place/suggestion for me to start? I've researched the topic on my own and have found conflicting information depending on what I read.

I'm hoping this can become a sort of collection of information for anyone interested/wanting to take nootropics. Maybe we can post up suggested stacks, dosages, links to buy stuff online.

Here's a quick template if anyone has any information to share, please copy and paste this into your response so it can be somewhat structured:

Code:
Stack:
Dosage/Timing:
Links for purchasing:
Additional thoughts/comments:

Quote:
Profession: Full time student/work part-time
Stack: I've taken Alphabrain for ~3 months straight, more recently I've tried a Piracetam + choline stack (although I felt a difference, nowhere near as good as AlphaBrain). I'm combining it with a multivitamin and fish oil caps.
Dosage/Timing: Usually take 1600 mg Piracetam, 400mg Choline with lunch
Links for purchasing: I got both off amazon.com, but it seems they've discontinued it. Here's a newer version of piracetam I'm looking at try, supposedly more potent because it has a phenyl group attached and therefore makes it more bioavailable.
Amazon.com: Phenylpiracetam (Carphedon) - 5 Grams (0.18 Oz) - 99% Pure - FBLM: Health & Personal Care
Choline supp I take (400mg so I can follow the 4:1 ratio of choline to piracetam)
Amazon.com: Carlson Labs Phosphatidyl Choline, 400mg, 100 Softgels: Health & Personal Care

Additional thoughts/comments:
N/a -- Although I did feel Alpha Brain worked, it was expensive as hell and its price was far beyond the collective price of all its components. I feel as if i can make a better nootropic stack for less (basically what I'm trying to do now). I took a break from nootropics in the summer while I was working full time and I honestly felt slower; my vocabulary greatly decreased; memory was terrible; and I felt irritable/low energy all the time.

Useful Links/Posts: (To be updated semi-periodically)
None yet .. really hoping someone far more knowledgeable on the topic, cough Skinnypupp, will chime in. I will keep this updated as I figure out what I want my next stack to be.

BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
questions:

Did Alphabrain's effects linger after you stopped consuming it?
Follow-up of Q1, if Alphabrain's effects deteriorated after you stop taking it, do you actually feel a loss of mental cognition?
Also, did you ever blaze while on Alphabrain? How was that? (srs)
Old 10-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddagudd View Post
questions:

Did Alphabrain's effects linger after you stopped consuming it?
Follow-up of Q1, if Alphabrain's effects deteriorated after you stop taking it, do you actually feel a loss of mental cognition?
Also, did you ever blaze while on Alphabrain? How was that? (srs)
To be honest, I'm not sure. I stopped taking it abruptly after my last exam, and at the same time I had some family issues come up -- so my mind was completely elsewhere.

I didn't feel any dumber when I didn't have nootropics, I still had the same processing power but the way I felt throughout the day varied more. The best way to describe it is by comparing it to the feeling you get after a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee. Those 3-5 hours after you wake up are amazing for me -- my mental alertness is through the roof for that time period -- being on nootropics allows me to lengthen that time and increase my productivity through the day.

I was taking that semester pretty seriously, but I still blazed. I limited myself to a week before/a week after big exams. More paranoia than anything, but I did feel more lethargic on days following a blazing session. I know people say nootropics = lucid dreaming, and although I did have some pretty amazing/highly detailed dreams, it didn't really change how I reacted to other drugs (i.e. weed/alcohol).

Are you thinking of trying AlphaBrain? I'm not sure if I can recommend it -- I had to take it for a week or two to notice any effects, and although the effects were good I don't think the cost is justified -- you're mostly paying for branding. That's why I made this thread ... I'm hoping someone will chime in and shed some light on starting a nootropic stack
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

I was just going off of the information you provided, I asked about Alphabrain because it seems that had the most effect on you. But I am also very interested in the phenylpiracetam and choline stack. Do nootropics have any side effects? Thinking of ordering those two things, but I can't seem to find shipping for Canada.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
The Brown Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddagudd View Post
I was just going off of the information you provided, I asked about Alphabrain because it seems that had the most effect on you. But I am also very interested in the phenylpiracetam and choline stack. Do nootropics have any side effects? Thinking of ordering those two things, but I can't seem to find shipping for Canada.
I've had to order off amazon.com in most cases or ebay.com and shipped to point roberts.

I wouldn't buy anything based solely off what I've posted -- I'm fairly new to this. I've opened up this thread in hopes of more experienced/knowledgeable people sharing what they know.

As far as side effects are concerned, I cannot definitively say. Everything in moderation IMO
Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
I have tried lots of nootropics.

Right now I am really liking Noopept, with some choline. It has a good combination of motivation, anti anxiety, without being too stimulating.

Oxiracetam is very stimulating, it's a great PWO

Aniracetam is a great anxiolytic and is mellowing. It's the nootropic I have used the most by far.

If you have anxiety or nervousness.. the kind that keeps you up at night, etc, nothing beats phenibut. Careful though, as it can be physically addictive. The theraputic dose (500-750mg) is low enough to not cause issues, but if you take a lot (2-4g, which makes you feel really nice, like alcohol without the drunkenness) it can quickly be tough to kick.

I order everything from Smartpowders

If you need to stay up late studying, modafinil is a godsend. It's prescription though, so you are going to have to order from a less-than-legal method unless you can get a scrip. There are good sources though, check reddit/r/nootropics for reviews.

Huperzine-A is one people take to increase acetylcholine, instead of taking a form like alpha GPC or choline bitartrate. It is a choline esterase inhibitor, which means it stops it from being broken down in the brain. I find that it is way too easy to get overloaded with it though

Galantamine works in a similar way, but I find that it doesn't do much. People rave about it for helping dreams though, but it can keep you up at night (as any nootropic can)

Sulbutiamine gets talked about as a nootropic, but I find that it does jack shit. It's basically a super absorbable version of vitamin B1. Maybe if you are lacking B1, it is good

Alpha Brain is way overpriced, and I don't know about the current formula, but the old one would REALLY overload your brain with acetylcholine, which can cause major issues. Most common one is major dizziness/nausea
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
The Brown Reason

^ thanks for the post dude.
What kind of dosages are you taking? Taking it every day?

I actually bought some phenibut recently from biovea.com (Ships to canada) -- Mixing 500 mg with 200 mg caffeine = amazing relaxed state of mind, with tons of energy/focus.

I've heard the phenibut hangover is hell though, and your body will adapt to it really quick and it'll stop having an effect so recommended dosage is under 2x a week, with atleast a day or two in between.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

Noopept 30mg in the morning before work, with my morning coffee. Really helps me get going

When I have lunch, I take some choline and fish oil. Lunch is usually high fat/no carbs which helps me think more clearly as well.

I take 500-750mh phenibut every night at about 8pm. I have tried doses up to 2g or so.. It feels really good, and there is a hangover but it's not THAT bad. Not as bad as alcohol that's for sure! You just feel kind of.. off.. Almost a bit buzzed, but nothing psychoactive like weed

If you use it like that ("recreationally") then yeah, no more than 2x a week. If you use it like a normal therapeutic drug, I think it's fine to take all the time. It will continue to be effective in keeping anxiety and stress at bay, allowing you to relax and get a good night's sleep. If you can take 2 nights off in a row without having troubles sleeping, you're fine.

I also take magnesium at night, and sometimes melatonin which seems to make sleep more effective (ie 6 hours of sleep on melatonin is as effective in recovery as 7 hours of normal sleep)
Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i've only ever used plain piracetam and choline citrate. i can say the effects were good and i took it usually for studying/going to the gym/exams. doing any kind of drugs/drinking alcohol on nootropics amplifies the effects from my experience. using it in a preworkout stack also makes you focus a lot better and lessened my rest times for sets.

can't remember the exact dosage but i usually did 3 scoops of piracetam (1200mg?) to 1.5 scoops of choline citrate (600mg?). i adjusted the dosage a few times but found this one to be the best.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #10

I can't stress enough how good it is to use a nootropic as a PWO. It might not be as good as the ones that contain amphetamines, but it's the next best (legal) think. The mind/muscle connection is so important
Old 10-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #11

all I'm hearing is good thing from these nootropics. Which one is the best, for your mind that is?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #12

Should I just get some Noopept and win life?
Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

I've been trying to figure out how to get modafinil for a few years now. Best I could get from my doc was wellbutrin.

Wellbutrin feels like a high does of caffeine to be honest. Sort of like Adderall but less jittery.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

Why not just buy it online?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,089 Times in 114 Posts
Informative article on Noopept: The complete NOOPEPT thread: how it works, what it is, and ADMINISTRATION/DOSING.
dealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Tried Alphabrain a while back for 3 months, didn't feel any difference at all. MAYBE, I remembered my dreams a bit more, but that's about it.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Why not just buy it online?
You can get it online?!

Isn't that kind of a gamble. How do I know I'm getting the real deal?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
You can get it online?!

Isn't that kind of a gamble. How do I know I'm getting the real deal?
Like I said in my long post, there are a lot of reviews at reddit.com/r/nootropics. Do a search for modafinil and you'll see. The store owners hang out there and sometimes offer deals to members of the sub
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #19

BTW I am having really good dream recollection, and very long vivid dreams lately, using NOW Magnesium/Potassium with Taurine. Cheap way to help your dreams, plus these minerals are really good for you.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
The Brown Reason

Phenibut has been so-so for me ...

I've been taking it to help me relax the night before an exam and get some sleep -- but I can't seem to get the dosage right. 750 mg seems to make me less nervous, but does nothing to make me sleepy

perhaps stacking w/ melatonin?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #21

Yeah stack it. It won't make you sleepy per se. If you are up due to anxiety, then it gets rid of the anxiety which in turn helps you go to sleep. But if you need help actually falling asleep, add 1.5mg of melatonin. I find sublingual does the best job

750mg should be plenty, especially if you haven't been taking it long. It does take a while to kick in (around 2 hours IMO), but lasts a long time.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,089 Times in 114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
BTW I am having really good dream recollection, and very long vivid dreams lately, using NOW Magnesium/Potassium with Taurine. Cheap way to help your dreams, plus these minerals are really good for you.
I've been having extremely vivid lucid dreams on noopept + zinc before bed.

Skinny, do you recommend choline w/ noopept?
dealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #23

If you start to get issues with mental fog, you will want to consider it
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #24
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
been using AlphaBrain for nearly 2 weeks now. hella expensive, but i'm just trying it out so i can hit the gym after a long day at work
i find that i speak more eloquently on days that i DO take it
i only have it once a day though, and i've had a couple days where i haven't taken it at all

not sure if placebo effect or actually working
Old 10-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #25
The Brown Reason

^ This -- I've always been able to write in an formal manner, but as soon as I'm faced with a social situation in which I'm forced to do so without the delay typing on a computer gives you, I go full retard.

I also ordered some L-theanine to see how it affects my studying.
I've read in doses of ~250-300mg with 200mg caffeine it can be quite effective, will report back