REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   2004 Civic, Headlights and all interior lights are flickering. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689346-2004-civic-headlights-all-interior-lights-flickering.html)

Wishful_Thinker 10-18-2013 09:08 PM

2004 Civic, Headlights and all interior lights are flickering.

Alright, here we go.

Was driving around last night, noticed that my headlights are flickering. Pulled over, turned my dome lights on, and they also doing the same thing while on idle. Battery and connections are good.

This morning, tested my alternator output.
Results are: Without load - 15.70V. With Load - 12.99V.

Could this sign of bad alternator? causing higher voltage?
Can I just conclude that it needs new alternator?

inv4zn 10-18-2013 09:40 PM

Voltage regulator?

Wishful_Thinker 10-18-2013 10:14 PM

Would it cause any damage if I keep driving the vehicle in like couple of days?

Spidey 10-18-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishful_Thinker (Post 8342211)

if it is your voltage regulator it will put a strain on your alternator

BrRsn 10-18-2013 10:52 PM

It's probably a ghost
I'm no expert on ghosts, or hondas for that matter
but I think you have to burn it to get rid of the demon before it moves from your car to your house and kills your entire family (seriously)

inv4zn 10-19-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wishful_Thinker (Post 8342211)

I'd recommend against it.

I was going to work one morning and I could hear my alternator whine. I could have gone straight to the mechanic, but I said Meh, I'll go tomorrow.

Well I got to work but all my lights were flickering like yours, etc, and then the car wouldnt start. Jumped it and blew my main fuse, twice, and had to get it towed. Could have saved $120 if I wasn't being lazy haha

Wishful_Thinker 10-19-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8342335)
I'd recommend against it.

I was going to work one morning and I could hear my alternator whine. I could have gone straight to the mechanic, but I said Meh, I'll go tomorrow.

Well I got to work but all my lights were flickering like yours, etc, and then the car wouldnt start. Jumped it and blew my main fuse, twice, and had to get it towed. Could have saved $120 if I wasn't being lazy haha

Lol!
was the alternator the culprit having your lights flicker?

inv4zn 10-19-2013 08:11 AM

For me, it was. Took out the starter motor with it as it went out haha

Overseas Auto1 10-23-2013 03:31 PM

the internal regulator is shot by the sounds of it. You need to have the alternator checked by a shop. They will probably replace it with a rebuilt unit. If you have too high voltage it will burn all your electrical and boil your battery dry. One day you will be out in the middle of no where with no cell service....