REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Flu Shot 2013-4 YAY or NAY? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689438-flu-shot-2013-4-yay-nay.html)

Acura604 10-22-2013 09:41 AM

Flu Shot 2013-4 YAY or NAY?

just wondering if most of us will get a flu shot for this years season.

This year’s vaccine provides protection against the following strains of Influenza:

1. A/California/7/2009 (H1N1) – like virus
2. A/Victoria/361/2011 – like virus
3. B/Massachusetts/2/2012 – like virus

zetazeta 10-22-2013 10:28 AM

I've never taken the flu shot, I've always been quite lucky in avoiding the virus. My office provides free flu shots every year. Not a lot of people go for the shot though.

How effective is this years flu shot estimated to be?

murd0c 10-22-2013 01:22 PM

NAY by the time the flu normally comes here it has mutated and it won't work, eat healthy drinks lots of water and get sleep and you won't have anything to worry about.

ziggyx 10-22-2013 03:19 PM

^ +1 to eating healthy, drinking water, and getting your sleep

Also be careful around sick people, dress for the weather and wash your hands before eating.

If you do get sick, try to cough/sneeze into a tissue or at the very least into the underside of your shirt or sleeves. Using your hands to cover a cough or sneeze makes it easier to spread.

Nocardia 10-23-2013 08:11 PM

If you work with or are always around an elderly or immunocompromised population...get it (unless you have had a severe reaction to vaccines)

As always, immunization isn't always about you.

BeeBeeAhn 10-29-2013 06:31 PM

Some debunking of common flu shot myths.

MR_BIGGS 10-29-2013 06:50 PM

Alberta is close to having a measles outbreak. There are pockets of the population in rural areas where immunization rates are very low. Some choose to ignore it; it’s not important enough a disease to do anything about. Some believe vaccines are not safe, and for some its part of their culture or their religious beliefs that vaccines should not be used. Some segments of the population don't believe in putting something in their bodies for religious reasons. Not to judge, but I feel for kids whose parents didn't get them immunized for measles.

As for flu shots, it's a tough sell to the public when the effectiveness of the shot is typically in the 60 to 70 per cent range. I think the elderly and the young should get it, but for the rest of, we should all practice proper hand hygiene.

Mr.HappySilp 10-30-2013 12:55 PM

My paretns got it and my mom still got sick.

I myself haven't ever gotten the flus hot before and I don't thinK i been very sick for the last few years (We all cough and get cold from time to time but not serious enough for me to take time off work). One of the reason I think I don't think sick is becasue my room is super hot (right above the furance) so even in the winter I am wearing shorts and T-shirts and i eat a lot of tomatos.

twitchyzero 10-30-2013 06:36 PM

i'm literally right up in patients' face at work and I've been doing okay for the past couple of influenza seasons. Once I start getting running nose/sore throat I take vitamin supplements :denied:

Ulic Qel-Droma 10-31-2013 11:26 AM

flu shots are completely unnecessary.

Traum 10-31-2013 12:36 PM

Not flu shot-related, but vaccine-related.

Science may not explain everything, but when there are things that has already been well-proven by science for years and years, it never fails to amaze me how stubbornly ignorant some people still are...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 8349595)
As for flu shots, it's a tough sell to the public when the effectiveness of the shot is typically in the 60 to 70 per cent range. I think the elderly and the young should get it, but for the rest of, we should all practice proper hand hygiene.

If you ask me, I'd say a 60-70% effective rating is quite high. A lot of times we go to great lengths to improve our chances of getting something, and those advantages we get often fall into the single digit percentage range. More importantly, the herd immunity that was mentioned in the above video really drives home the idea of why vaccines and immunization is important. The process is far more effective when the majority are immunized.

yogenfruz 11-16-2013 12:40 AM

A bunch of co-workers got it. I refused. I live by the "take care of yourself, and avoid sick people" route.