REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Air Ride Suspension. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689567-air-ride-suspension.html)

Gsxrghostrider 10-26-2013 10:25 AM

Air Ride Suspension.

This is going to be my 1st post. =)

I'm interested in a air ride suspension for a 13 Honda Accord.Trying to get enough information before I make a decision in the near future. (Got to sweet talk the wife) lol. Anyhow like I said I'm interested in Air ride suspension.Looking for 3 settings Stock height,cruising ,and slammed.So the information I need is

1:- Cost (purchase/installed)

2:- Physical size/how much truck space it takes up.Can it be set up underneath the vehicle.

3:- easy of use or set up.
4:- Maintenance what if any

Thanks in advance people:)

hc529 10-26-2013 10:55 AM

I messaged Chris from California.

1. Air runner with accuair management it'll run you $5800+ before shipping

2. I've seen the air ride suspension sienna have their set up under their car
Posted via RS Mobile

Gsxrghostrider 10-26-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hc529 (Post 8347339)
I messaged Chris from California.

1. Air runner with accuair management it'll run you $5800+ before shipping

2. I've seen the air ride suspension sienna have their set up under their car
Posted via RS Mobile

Thanks for your help Bro!

Just noticed KMS Tools has Accuair.Not really sure if this is the really deal on sale for 2199.00 This doesn't include the shocks or airbags.

http://www.kmstools.com/accuair-touc...sor-nicke-8129

Since I'm a 1st timer with Air ride I want to get as much information before jumping in.

swfk 10-27-2013 03:54 PM

Cost: Hit up Prime Motoring on Facebook for nearly 50% off MSRP on AirLift products. MSRP is on the airliftcompany.com site. My kit MSRP costed $3300 and I got it drop shipped to Point Roberts at a discount with some extra bits like an extra compressor.

Install took my boss and I about 12 hours but that's because it's our first time.

Physical size of the tank you can choose what kinda tanks, you can use two small tanks or one large tank it's entirely up to you. Some mount it in the spare tire well, some mount it on the new false floor, some mount it halfway sticking out of the false floor.

Maintenance, I hope you park in a fairly warm garage. Because according to science, compressing air into the tank means that the water will condensate. In the winter, that water freezes up and things get ugly unless you park in a garage that doesn't freeze up the lines or water in tank.

Another thing you'll need to do is to have a water trap, or a tank drain. I have my kit setup without a water trap because I have a tank drain valve at the bottom of the tank to let the water out. I do it each time I'm not in a rush and that my trunk is open and some water squirts out.

Accuair is not the only management out there, it is the best, the most expensive, and also the hardest to install.

Accuair is good because of the height based management. You're driving alone and you pick up 4 of your buddies at the pub, your car will suddenly sink down. Assuming you have aggressive wheel fitment, it'll start rubbing! The height based management will sense that the height has changed so it'll compensate and adjust back to your preset height.

Alternatively I am using AutoPilot V2 management from AirLift. It's easy to set up but the con is that if I pick up 4 of my buddies, I'll have to choose a different preset or just manually raise the car about half an inch.

I chose AutoPilot because I mainly drive myself or maybe one friend at most while I live alone so I don't need to drive the family. And if I do pick up 4 of my friends I can just hit a different preset.

AutoPilot V2 allows you to have up to 8 presets!

AVS_Racing 10-27-2013 04:40 PM

how does the car handle on air? compared to lets say oem or on coilovers?

swfk 10-27-2013 05:04 PM

There are different applications, I'm using AirLift so I'll use AirLift as an example.

AirLift has two series of shocks, SLAM and Performance. SLAM series are not dampening adjustable and it rides pretty decent and soft. While the Performance series is advertised to be track worthy because of it's dampening adjustability and threaded shock body.

Essentially spring rate can be set by the bag pressure and you may change height via shock body threads.

Cons for SLAM series is that for some applications there is no sway bar endlink brackets. My car rolls a lot in the front right now and I surely miss my swaybar. Looking to upgrade the fronts later on.

As to a comparison to coilovers I would say that the bags ride wayyyyyyy better than coilovers. Handles bumps extremely well.

AVS_Racing 10-27-2013 05:43 PM

what about in corners? so if you want to bump up spring rate for lets say stiffer handling you have to basically raise the car?

Gsxrghostrider 10-27-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swfk (Post 8347996)
Cost: Hit up Prime Motoring on Facebook for nearly 50% off MSRP on AirLift products. MSRP is on the airliftcompany.com site. My kit MSRP costed $3300 and I got it drop shipped to Point Roberts at a discount with some extra bits like an extra compressor.

Install took my boss and I about 12 hours but that's because it's our first time.

Physical size of the tank you can choose what kinda tanks, you can use two small tanks or one large tank it's entirely up to you. Some mount it in the spare tire well, some mount it on the new false floor, some mount it halfway sticking out of the false floor.

Maintenance, I hope you park in a fairly warm garage. Because according to science, compressing air into the tank means that the water will condensate. In the winter, that water freezes up and things get ugly unless you park in a garage that doesn't freeze up the lines or water in tank.

Another thing you'll need to do is to have a water trap, or a tank drain. I have my kit setup without a water trap because I have a tank drain valve at the bottom of the tank to let the water out. I do it each time I'm not in a rush and that my trunk is open and some water squirts out.

Accuair is not the only management out there, it is the best, the most expensive, and also the hardest to install.

Accuair is good because of the height based management. You're driving alone and you pick up 4 of your buddies at the pub, your car will suddenly sink down. Assuming you have aggressive wheel fitment, it'll start rubbing! The height based management will sense that the height has changed so it'll compensate and adjust back to your preset height.

Alternatively I am using AutoPilot V2 management from AirLift. It's easy to set up but the con is that if I pick up 4 of my buddies, I'll have to choose a different preset or just manually raise the car about half an inch.

I chose AutoPilot because I mainly drive myself or maybe one friend at most while I live alone so I don't need to drive the family. And if I do pick up 4 of my friends I can just hit a different preset.

AutoPilot V2 allows you to have up to 8 presets!

Good point about winter.Never even considered it till now... :-(

swfk 10-27-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVS_Racing (Post 8348067)
what about in corners? so if you want to bump up spring rate for lets say stiffer handling you have to basically raise the car?

Well the shocks are dampening adjustable, I wouldn't exactly say that people with bags should track the car. Coilovers will always handle better :okay:

swfk 10-27-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsxrghostrider (Post 8348111)
Good point about winter.Never even considered it till now... :-(

I don't see it as a problem at all, just remember to drain the water. Takes less than 10 seconds!

Gsxrghostrider 10-27-2013 08:38 PM

Loving the Accuair management system.Auto adjust for added weight oh yeah!

What about compressor noise?

Does the compressor run once in a while even you maintain same height?

Does the compressor only run when you're raising the car to a different height?

How much space does your system use?

Thanks =) for your patience.

Phil@rise 10-29-2013 03:14 PM

The compressors are a little noisy but if you have no leaks and if your not playing with the system while driving then the system wont be using the air stored in the tanks thus the pumps wont be running. You can run an air drier if you are worried about moisture in the system.

Gsxrghostrider 10-29-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8349460)
The compressors are a little noisy but if you have no leaks and if your not playing with the system while driving then the system wont be using the air stored in the tanks thus the pumps wont be running. You can run an air drier if you are worried about moisture in the system.

Thanks for the info. :-)

Gsxrghostrider 11-01-2013 04:11 AM

Here are some common problems I found on wiki that do have me kinda of worried in the long run.

Common air suspension problems[edit]

Air bag or air strut failure is usually caused by wet rot, due to old age, or moisture within the air system that damages it from the inside. Air ride suspension parts may fail because rubber dries out. Punctures to the air bag may be caused from debris on the road. With custom applications, improper installation may cause the air bags to rub against the vehicle's frame or other surrounding parts, damaging it. The over-extension of an airspring which is not sufficiently constrained by other suspension components, such as a shock absorber, may also lead to the premature failure of an airspring through the tearing of the flexible layers. Failure of an airspring may also result in complete immobilization of the vehicle, since the vehicle will rub against the ground or be too high to move.

Air line failure is a failure of the tubing which connects the air bags or struts to the rest of the air system, and is typically DOT-approved nylon air brake line. This usually occurs when the air lines, which must be routed to the air bags through the chassis of the vehicle, rub against a sharp edge of a chassis member or a moving suspension component, causing a hole to form. This mode of failure will typically take some time to occur after the initial installation of the system, as the integrity of a section of air line is compromised to the point of failure due to the rubbing and resultant abrasion of the material. An air-line failure may also occur if a piece of road debris hits an air line and punctures or tears it, although this is unlikely to occur in normal road use. It does occur in harsh off-road conditions but it still not common if correctly installed.

Air fitting failure usually occurs when they are first fitted or very rarely in use. Cheap low quality components tend to be very unreliable. Air fittings are used to connect components such as bags, valves, and solenoids to the airline that transfers the air. They are screwed into the component and for the most part push-in or push-to-fit DOT line is then inserted into the fitting.
Compressor failure is primarily due to leaking air springs or air struts. The compressor will burn out trying to maintain the correct air pressure in a leaking air system. Compressor burnout may also be caused by moisture from within the air system coming into contact with its electronic parts. This is far more likely to occur with low specification compressors with insufficient duty cycle which are often purchased due to low cost. For redundancy in the system two compressors are often a better option.[8]

In Dryer failure the dryer, which functions to remove moisture from the air system, eventually becomes saturated and unable to perform that function. This causes moisture to build up in the system and can result in damaged air springs and/or a burned out compressor.[9]

swfk 11-02-2013 03:40 PM

Water traps don't always trap water, the pressure usually takes the water straight to the tank. Just make sure you have a tank drain, drain often and you're safe.

Compressor you should run two because in case one dies you won't be stranded. Dual compressor fills faster as well. I have a 5 gallon tank, airing up to drive height, 150psi drops to 110psi, then takes about 3 minutes on a single 380c compressor to fill back to 150psi.

It's loud but some put Dynamat and enclose the compressor under the false floor in the spare tire well