REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   LAX Shooting (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689745-lax-shooting.html)

RS_Pat 11-01-2013 09:24 AM

LAX Shooting

Reports of lone gunman with a rifle starting to shoot just before TSA checkpoint...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/01/us/lax-gunfire/index.html

Quote:

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Parts of Los Angeles International Airport were being evacuated Friday morning after reports of shots being fired there, police said.

Airport officials said a police incident began about 9:30 a.m. at Terminal 3 at LAX, airport spokeswoman Nancy Suey Castles said.

Passenger Robert Perez, who was getting ready to fly Virgin Air, was taking a nap in the terminal when panic erupted, he told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS.

"I heard a popping sound, and everybody was diving for cover," Perez told the station. "The TSA said there was a shooting in the terminal and evacuate the building."

At least 100 people came down a staircase. "Everybody started to panic," Perez said.

Fox Sports national columnist Bill Reiter was also at the airport during the gunfire. "After the initial burst of gunfire and hiding, people started jumping over one another, jumping off chairs, pushing each other. Chaos & fear," he said on his Twitter account.

The passengers were directed to board a bus and were taken to a smaller terminal, Perez told the affiliate.

The Los Angeles Fire Department is assisting with a "multi-patient" incident at Los Angeles International Airport, the department said Friday on Twitter.

Firefighters were laying down tarps on the street at the airport, which appeared to be triage tarps. Several ambulances were at the airport, and at least one person was loaded into an ambulance.

The area around the airport was jammed with cars as police shut down access to the airport Friday morning.

twitchyzero 11-01-2013 09:33 AM

ffs...the blood never stops flowing
crazy the spike in shit America has seen in the past 12 months

dinosaur 11-01-2013 09:44 AM

I am happy that Wolf now has something to do today...

EmperorIS 11-01-2013 10:18 AM

Remember, No Russians.

Hondaracer 11-01-2013 10:31 AM

As broad as a statement it is I have no real desire to travel to the states much anymore, been down most of the west coast, Vegas, Arizona, some of the north west and it just doesn't appeal to me much anymore as a whole as a culture

Sure shootings happen everywhere but when you hear stories like the one just in Washington where one guy in road rage pulls a gun on a car and the guy in the car pulls his own gun and exchanges fire like wtf lol

And even in Seattle I found it didn't feel very "safe" this coming from Somone who felt absolutely comfortable walking the streets of Mexico and Russia at night, walking around Seattle there are so many bums and shit just feels unsafe/dirty, outside of sporting events no real desire to travel there anymore either
Posted via RS Mobile

MindBomber 11-01-2013 10:44 AM

^I would enjoy New York and perhaps some very specific events, but otherwise the US has so little 'culture' there's not much incentive to travel there. In my perspective, the US's culture is practically limited to partisan politics and cheap consumerism. I might be missing something, I don't know..

dinosaur 11-01-2013 12:06 PM

I haven't been to the USA in over 7 years. I don't miss it.

StylinRed 11-01-2013 02:09 PM

Sounds like he targeted TSA officers which is almost....almost...understandable the way the TSA acts I could easily have imagined someone snapping and seeking some form of retaliation after all the TSA has garnered a nick name of Brownshirts (the Sturmabteilung / SA officers)
I've witnessed them acting like insane power tripping dicks against other people so often

bcrdukes 11-01-2013 02:14 PM

My cousin was on a Virgin America flight to LAX from San Fran. The moment it happened, the pilots had to turn around back to San Fran.

This is in at the very least sad and unfortunate.

Zedbra 11-01-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8351464)
^I would enjoy New York and perhaps some very specific events, but otherwise the US has so little 'culture' there's not much incentive to travel there. In my perspective, the US's culture is practically limited to partisan politics and cheap consumerism. I might be missing something, I don't know..

no, you got it covered.

On a side note - I've been traveling a lot through the States the last few years and I would say a majority of the TSA officers are actually quite polite and friendly.

Mr.Money 11-01-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedbra (Post 8351700)
no, you got it covered.

On a side note - I've been traveling a lot through the States the last few years and I would say a majority of the TSA officers are actually quite polite and friendly.

& sir,are you a white man?....I've seen more east Indian's padded down more.

twitchyzero 11-01-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8351572)
Sounds like he targeted TSA officers

a 23 YO brings an assault rifle just to shoot up TSA officers then runs past security check? Report was he was spraying his gun and only a few were injured...makes you wonder if this was a distraction for something bigger to slip past :suspicious:

fT-z33wor 11-01-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmperorIS (Post 8351432)
Remember, No Russians.

Zedbra 11-02-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8351739)
& sir,are you a white man?....I've seen more east Indian's padded down more.

Ya, I'm white but also not a small guy - I get more than my fair share of X-rays and additional pat-downs. Nonetheless, I have found the TSA agents to always be professional.

dlo 11-02-2013 11:08 AM

Debatable about TSA's work ethics and views lol, I'm an average size asian yet I get shittered on when I went thru LAX, made me strip down, patted down and asked me a bunch of weird shit lol, didn't help out that their instructions weren't so clear and yet they were so hostile when I didn't kno what I was doing haha, could had been worse I guess
Posted via RS Mobile

haymura 11-02-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8351744)
a 23 YO brings an assault rifle just to shoot up TSA officers then runs past security check? Report was he was spraying his gun and only a few were injured...makes you wonder if this was a distraction for something bigger to slip past :suspicious:

This i agree. if something dramatic happens over the next few months and it links to this incident then we know something fishy is going on.

68style 11-02-2013 02:43 PM

If any of you guys are thinking the U.S. culture is just about partisan politics and consumerism and there's nothing worth going to down there, you really are missing the point. I make fun of the U.S. as much as the next Canadian and who hasn't made an incest joke about Arkansas... but if you actually stop your car and get out somewhere and do away with your pre-conceived Canadian elitism over them, you'll find the most homey welcoming people anywhere, especially in small towns... and such wonderful simple culture just enjoying life, cookouts, some beers, doing funny irresponsible "redneck" shit... I'm a city boy tried and true but there's something to be said about how a lot of people just know how to dumb life down and enjoy their day and have so little stress... and even in big cities like L.A, who hasn't been there and noticed the rush you can feel almost palpable around you of how super hard working people there are in a way (or at a pace) that nobody in laissez-faire Canada can match from either a personal or business perspective... it really is a great country that gets a bad knock when someone shoots someone, or a racist/political/nihilist rant gets promoted on YouTube or other media...

I've had way more genuine moments with people I've never met before in the USA (I do travel there very frequently, but obviously a relatively small percentage of my time is spent there compared to here) than I've ever had in Canada, particularly in cold-ass-stare most of the time you talk to someone you don't already know Vancouver.

Yodamaster 11-02-2013 02:44 PM

INB4 COD:MW2 reference on Fox news.

fT-z33wor 11-02-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8352242)
INB4 COD:MW2 reference on Fox news.

EmporerIS already beat you to it :pokerface:

xpl0sive 11-02-2013 03:08 PM

I wonder why the spike in public gun incidents all of a sudden? It almost seems like some "hidden" powers are sending these crazies out there to make the public turn against guns.

Not sure what they would gain from this, as gun manufacturing and sales would decline sharply.

Conspiracy theory....?

MindBomber 11-02-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8352241)
If any of you guys are thinking the U.S. culture is just about partisan politics and consumerism and there's nothing worth going to down there, you really are missing the point. I make fun of the U.S. as much as the next Canadian and who hasn't made an incest joke about Arkansas... but if you actually stop your car and get out somewhere and do away with your pre-conceived Canadian elitism over them, you'll find the most homey welcoming people anywhere, especially in small towns... and such wonderful simple culture just enjoying life, cookouts, some beers, doing funny irresponsible "redneck" shit... I'm a city boy tried and true but there's something to be said about how a lot of people just know how to dumb life down and enjoy their day and have so little stress... and even in big cities like L.A, who hasn't been there and noticed the rush you can feel almost palpable around you of how super hard working people there are in a way (or at a pace) that nobody in laissez-faire Canada can match from either a personal or business perspective... it really is a great country that gets a bad knock when someone shoots someone, or a racist/political/nihilist rant gets promoted on YouTube or other media...

I've had way more genuine moments with people I've never met before in the USA (I do travel there very frequently, but obviously a relatively small percentage of my time is spent there compared to here) than I've ever had in Canada, particularly in cold-ass-stare most of the time you talk to someone you don't already know Vancouver.

Note, I did not accuse American's of being unwelcoming, unpleasant people. I see American's as friendly for the most part. Rather, I suggest America is a cultural wasteland. I am also not an elitist Canadian holding pre-conceived notions over the country. I do not consider Canada as particularly culturally rich, nor do I consider Australia, or any distinctly colonial country as such. I simply see America as especially devoid of cultural in the post-colonial era, because they've actively avoided (with some exceptions, such as Jackson Pollock) promoting much of one. Where Canada's done quite the opposite and gone to great lengths to construct a culture identity.

The simple life in small town America exists in small town Canada, too. I enjoy it often. It's outside of the scope I'm referring to.

I do agree, Vancouverites are assholes. I dislike it, and I know most do. It's odd that it perpetuates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 8352263)
I wonder why the spike in public gun incidents all of a sudden? It almost seems like some "hidden" powers are sending these crazies out there to make the public turn against guns.

Not sure what they would gain from this, as gun manufacturing and sales would decline sharply.

Conspiracy theory....?

That's more crazy than Arash's posts.