REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   1997 Integra overheating @ idle problem, Help! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689757-1997-integra-overheating-%40-idle-problem-help.html)

Jaffray 11-01-2013 03:58 PM

1997 Integra overheating @ idle problem, Help!

Hey guys,

So I've been driving down to clark and back home. And along the way home, noticed my integra was overheating at idle.

This happened before due to a ripped hose and bad clamp.

Problem has resurrected, I managed to get home so I can check out what was wrong.

After checking it out, turns out I can't find any faulty or ripped hoses. But noticed my coolant reservoir was half empty from full. Help? :(

Also noticed this happened after I parked my integra.
http://i39.tinypic.com/xf5mvo.jpg

fliptuner 11-01-2013 09:36 PM

Have you checked the rad for cracks?

Jaffray 11-01-2013 10:35 PM

No I haven't but will keep that in mind for tomorrow morning. Thanks

Puck Luck 11-02-2013 02:08 PM

that looks like oil on the ground. by any chance, your car an automatic?

ilovebacon 11-07-2013 03:01 AM

this happened to me before. I had a crack so I had to get it fixed or else it would keep overheating. I was driving a rsx though. Another way of keeping it cool is by blasting your heat high. It will slowly come down as u watch the gauge. Hope this helps.
Posted via RS Mobile

Prolowtone 11-07-2013 11:55 AM

check for leaks then test your thermostat to see if it is opening. if thats all good try a rad flush (flush ita few times).

if its still overheating after that you could have a bad head gasket allowing exhaust gasses to build up in your coolant...

k20a 02-13-2014 05:27 PM

How long ago did the broken/ripped hose happened? Did you properly bleed the cooling system after the repairs?

GLOW 02-14-2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8351858)
Have you checked the rad for cracks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prolowtone (Post 8356447)
check for leaks then test your thermostat to see if it is opening.

had 2 heating problems you described with my previous car and these were the causes.

european 02-24-2014 03:10 PM

I had a similar issue but with my 97 Honda Prelude, it would start to overheat at idle. After poking around I noticed that the radiator fan motor had died. I installed a new OEM fan motor and everything was back to normal. Perhaps you have something similar? I dunno, just a thought.

thumper 02-25-2014 02:54 PM

the coolant overflow reservoir is not the best indicator of how much coolant there is in your engine, unlesss it's bone dry or it's overflowing with boiling coolant, of which neither is what you are experiencing.

when you blew your coolant hose, how was the engine refilled with coolant? was it properly bled of air?

with a the engine cold, did you check the coolant level from taking off the radiator cap and looking inside? how is the condition of the radiator cap itself?

how does your coolant look inside the radiator? ie. normal color, or is it like brown porridge? are there bubbles coming out while the engine is running?

have you had any issues with the thermostat? is the cooling fan coming on at engine temp?

i can't tell much from that picture why there is oil on the ground. have you looked for any obvious signs of oil leakage? what is your oil level like?

snails 02-25-2014 02:59 PM

if you cant see signs of a leak the first place i would look is at your thermostat, if you notice a difference in temperature in the hoses coming off your rad "top and bottom" then there is a good chance your thermostat is stuck closed

next would be rad fan, you said it was an idle thing so you might wanna check to see that your fan turned on

welfare 02-25-2014 09:01 PM

actually, there should be some difference in temp between the upper and lower rad hose. remember, the rad is supposed to lower the temp of the incoming coolant