REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Old school Dodge offroading vehicle (https://www.revscene.net/forums/689850-old-school-dodge-offroading-vehicle.html)

pk_volt 11-03-2013 11:00 PM

Old school Dodge offroading vehicle

Anyone seen this? Found this cool video of some vintage 1920's Dodge sedan powering through some of the harshest muddy off-roads where modern 4x4 trucks would fail.

Maybe it's just the thin wheels that allows you to "cut" through mud easier?

Off-roading: Vintage vs New School | Driver Dose

TjAlmeida 11-04-2013 04:47 AM

didn't watch the video but for thick mud you want a wide stance with wide wheels to float on top of the mud.
Posted via RS Mobile

Zedbra 11-04-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjAlmeida (Post 8353523)
didn't watch the video but for thick mud you want a wide stance with wide wheels to float on top of the mud.
Posted via RS Mobile

:facepalm:

This Dodge video is cool, they sure don't make them like that anymore, eh? I think it has been posted somewhere before.

meme405 11-04-2013 11:18 AM

The driver in that video must have broken his back countless times. It hurt watching that thing bounce around for me just sitting here.

Good video though...:thumbs:

dared3vil0 11-04-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjAlmeida (Post 8353523)
Posted via RS Mobile

Watch the video. If they were anything wider than 100mm tires, i'd be shocked, no visible tread, the thing plows through mud up to the doors like it's nothing. Never seen anything like it.

fsy82 11-04-2013 03:35 PM

awesome how it fell to it side and the guys just rolled it over like it was nothing..lol

hud 91gt 11-04-2013 03:43 PM

I've never seen that one, but the old Model T has a ton of videos like that. All bombing around muddy farm fields. It's hilarious.

Renthal 11-04-2013 04:06 PM

those approach and departure angles are pretty sweet.. the front tires are basically poking past the bumper.
I wonder if they had a locking rear diff back then?

pk_volt 11-04-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsy82 (Post 8353897)
awesome how it fell to it side and the guys just rolled it over like it was nothing..lol

haha, glad you guys enjoyed the video. I read some of the youtube comments and if you look closely, there was a cable attached to a truck assisting in pulling the truck back upwards!

GabAlmighty 11-05-2013 05:17 AM

Mud is like ice, you want a skinny tire to get to the bottom. Check out all the big mud trucks down south running farm tires. Only problem, I think it looks like shit.

T4RAWR 11-05-2013 10:30 AM

theres always two schools of thinking to every problem/application.

some people like the big wide tires and others prefer tall skinnies.

my understanding is that the big wide tires allows you to "float" over the soft mud, whereas the tall skinnies will cut through the mud to solid ground which gives traction.

i dont have any personal experience with the wide "swamper" style tires but i do have experience driving on the tall skinnies. While i was in australia i got to drive a 70 series land cruiser on tall skinnies (i think they nicknamed them pizza cutters or whatever). the thing basically cut/plowed through the various terrain that it came across with ease.

regarding the dodge in the OP's video, i would attribute its ease of travel in the muddy terrain due to the skinny tires that its on, cutting through the crap to solid ground.