REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Report: Vancouver has the worst traffic congestion in North America

Vancouver has worst traffic congestion in North America: report - BC | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
For the first time, Vancouver has surpassed Los Angeles as the city with the worst traffic congestion in North America.

Metro Vancouver residents are spending more time than ever in their cars, according to an annual survey by GPS software company TomTom.

Vancouver is followed by L.A., San Francisco, Honolulu and Seattle in the top five cities in North America with the worst traffic congestion.

Other Canadian cities on the list are Toronto at #7 and Montreal at #10.

In the entire Americas, we are actually #3 – Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, Brazil are in the top spots.

The average Metro Vancouver resident with a 30 minute commute is wasting 93 hours per year stuck in delays. That’s the equivalent of 11.6 working days.

For every hour, about 41 minutes are wasted in traffic delays in Metro Vancouver.

Monday is one of the best days for traffic, with the lowest traffic congestion.

Tuesday mornings and Thursday evenings are the worst peak periods of the week, according to TomTom.

There could be some relief on the way, and commuters have already seen some with the opening of the new Port Mann Bridge.

Part two of the South Fraser Perimeter Road is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year.

The Evergreen rapid transit line to the Tri Cities should also help relieve some congestion.

TomTom says their data goes beyond people’s perceptions of congestion, by using data from the thousands of sensors in their GPS units in vehicles.

The company says the data shows that the way traffic is managed “needs to change.”
Link to the report: TomTom Traffic Index

Although I have not driven in other major Canadian cities, I have driven in LA several times....there is NO WAY Vancouver is worse than LA! I have also heard from friends that driving in Toronto is a nightmare. Vancouver traffic can be fucking terrible some days, but overall, I don't think it is THAT bad. Maybe I'm wrong?
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Maybe it's based off time spent per kilometer driven?
If that's the case, hell yeah I can see how we're the worst.

It used to take me upwards of 40-45 minutes in rush hour to drive 9 kilometers -- from my house to work in downtown.

That same drive I can make in around ten to fifteen minutes if it's 5 am
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,198 Posts
Maybe trying to get over the Port Mann in rush hour traffic is brutal, but there is no way the "average" traffic conditions are worse than Toronto - I have spent so much time sitting in traffic in a cab in Toronto it's unreal.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Ive driven in Toronto, and Toronto is way worse than we got it.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
I don't get it

Toronto is WAY worse than Vancouver.
ryugeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
we change it by adding more bike lanes

actually that could be true if bikes don't have GPS it won't register with TomTom

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
To save the search through the report:

van11.JPG

van1.JPG

van2.JPG

Seems the issue is "non-highways"....make a little more sense, I guess.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
we change it by adding more bike lanes

actually that could be true if bikes don't have GPS it won't register with TomTom

Road space: bus vs bikes vs cars ? a famous photo recreated in Canberra : Diary of an Average Australian
Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
I am grateful grapefruit

They do it as an index of rush hour vs non-rush hour. So if you normally drive to work in 45 minutes in rush hour - but it takes you 15 minutes in non-rush hour - then it's a factor of 3.

In Toronto - it's always friggin busy - it may take you 1 hour to drive to work - but 30 minutes to drive in non-rush hour - so it's a factor of 2. You may cover a shorter distance in a longer period of time in Toronto - but because the difference between non-rush hour and rush hour isn't that great - it's supposedly not "congested" in Toronto.

Same goes with a lot of US cities. LA Traffic - DC traffic - there are so many terrible rush hours there - but because the city is constantly busy - they won't score as high in Vancouver.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Old School RS

That's helpful analysis, thanks gars.

As to the study itself, I think it's a ridiculous way to measure traffic though. They should rank cities as the actual time it takes to get on average vs the expected time travelling at exactly the speed limit.

The concept that a city that has so much less capacity than necessary that you are never travelling at the speed limit is LESS congested than one where you are only sometimes, is absolutely absurd.

I commute 35kms per day from West Vancouver (virtually Horseshoe Bay) to right in the middle of downtown Vancouver. I travel over one of the most tightly congested corridors in the GVRD (the Lions Gate & Stanley Park Causeway) twice a day. And yet, my dead of rush hour commute at 8:00am ranges from 25 to 35 minutes depending on the day. For comparison, when I do this commute at 6:30am with no traffic, it takes me just under 20.

I consider that to be a pretty reasonable penalty in waiting time for an absolute peak time and a busy route.

Mark
Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Great now they are going to build more bike lanes to ease the traffic congesion ><
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
i think its skewed towards areas around the massey tunnel, alex fraser, patullo, port mann lol

oak st bridge and arthur lang aint too TERRIBLE, all things considered
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Our streets and freeways weren't designed to handle what the GVRD has become today. If you want to ease congestion, you're going to have to tear a bunch of shit out and start over from scratch, though nobody has the time or money for that.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
I am grateful grapefruit

I have to say - Vancouver, when it's not Rush Hour - has done a pretty decent job of keeping traffic flowing through. I've been through other cities where the lights aren't timed properly - and it frustrates me so much.

I was visiting my buddy in Ann Arbor - which isn't even a big city. We were driving around at 11 - and we were constantly stuck at lights that have little to no traffic going through. Travelling a few miles took us 10-15 minutes - while the same journey would probably take me 5 minutes in Vancouver.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Our streets and freeways weren't designed to handle what the GVRD has become today. If you want to ease congestion, you're going to have to tear a bunch of shit out and start over from scratch, though nobody has the time or money for that.
Or we could build more bike lanes as the Vancouver Mayor thinks bike lanes will solve all issues!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Great now they are going to build more bike lanes to ease the traffic congesion ><
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Or we could build more bike lanes as the Vancouver Mayor thinks bike lanes will solve all issues!
Yes we get it... bike lanes. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I hope this means they build more bike lanes, since I actually use them to commute.
Elements604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
I've noticed a few areas of the city have gotten a lot worse in recent years. Just last night, it took me 25 mins to get to the gym, when I live less than 5km away. It took me 5mins to get home after. There wasn't an accident or anything, there was just a TON of volume. As others have said, the city was not designed for this number of vehicles. If you compare to cities like Seattle and LA, you can see that there are major freeways connecting all areas of the city. Our "freeway" is a joke compared to the freeways in the states.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elements604 View Post
I hope this means they build more bike lanes, since I actually use them to commute.
Right ya, let's inconvenience the majority of the population in this city for the benefit of a few. Great idea.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
I believe it, it's been especially horrible these past few months if I leave from Ridge. When I leave at 6:30am for downtown it takes me 45mins-1hr if I leave a little later 7-7:30am it takes me 2hrs+!!! If I leave when there's light traffic it takes 30mins to get to vancouver
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #21

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
I've noticed a few areas of the city have gotten a lot worse in recent years. Just last night, it took me 25 mins to get to the gym, when I live less than 5km away. It took me 5mins to get home after. There wasn't an accident or anything, there was just a TON of volume. As others have said, the city was not designed for this number of vehicles. If you compare to cities like Seattle and LA, you can see that there are major freeways connecting all areas of the city. Our "freeway" is a joke compared to the freeways in the states.
Blame the people living in Strathcona in the 1970s for shutting down the freeway project.

Bike lanes are really only visible in downtown Vancouver. Most major arterials outside of the core don't have seperated bike lanes. There are more people in Metro Vancouver these days and they all have to get around somehow. But politicians are stuck between a rock and a hard place:

- People don't want Skytrain expansions because they cost too much and they will change neighbourhoods.
- But, people don't want bike lanes either because they want to continue driving their cars and have an irrational hate for so-called bike culture.
- But, you can't build more roads in the cities in Metro Vancouver unless you spend billions to tear down houses and expropriate land.

That's why we have traffic congestion in Metro Vancouver and that's why we will continue to have it until someone comes along and tells everyone to shut up and expands the public transit system.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
We don't have the road system for the huge population growth over the past decade or so. We should have had a freeway system in place 20 years+ back but no one planned ahead and now we're paying for it. In the US they started to build freeways back as early as the 40's because they knew people would be living outside of the cities and needed a viable road system to travel back into the cities.

And most of our so called "highways" have two lanes, our bridges are clogged up because there's two lanes of traffic. We have bikes lanes going up everywhere so that's take lanes away which are needed. It's a complete and utter mess which i personally don't see been addressed any time soon.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
And most of our so called "highways" have two lanes, our bridges are clogged up because there's two lanes of traffic. We have bikes lanes going up everywhere so that's take lanes away which are needed. It's a complete and utter mess which i personally don't see been addressed any time soon.
The reality is that seperated bike lanes exist largely in the City of Vancouver and in a few select areas such as the downtown core. The number of cars going downtown has remained stagnant for a decade - traffic congestion has grown outside of the City of Vancouver. To put the blame of all of Metro Vancouver's traffic woes on bike lanes in the city of Vancouver is a bit much (how many here actually commute downtown or to other areas of the City of Vancouver anyway besides a few well-to-do people?)
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
On a personal level, I work in DT, live 5-10 minutes outside of the core and I can tell you that my commute time has increased by at least 10-15 minutes since the bike lanes went in. The issue isn't the one lane that's been taken away but it's also the traffic patterns that have changed with these lanes going in. It does slow down traffic during commute times.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #25

^ I work in the core as well and until recently, I took Skytrain in. Now that I and my partner work in the core, it makes sense financially to carpool. If you're travelling on your own, it doesn't make a lot of sense, from my experience, to take a car into the core given the hassle of traffic and the cost of parking. Even if we removed the bike lanes tomorrow, would the traffic issues be resolved? Maybe in the short-term, but eventually people adjust, more people drive in and you end up where you started.

The bike lanes are there to act as a deterrent - to discourage people from driving if they can and to consider alternatives such as biking or taking the Skytrain. Now consider the city's perspective: if you can't build more roads into downtown, what do you do?
Posted via RS Mobile