REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Red Light Question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/690062-red-light-question.html)

wishywashy 11-09-2013 09:57 PM

Red Light Question

Hi!

I was approaching the stop light at the intersection of 49th, and the light was yellow as I crossed the stop light, but turned red as I was in the middle. I saw the camera flash once. I have not lived in Vancouver for a long time and was wondering if I would get any point deductions for this.

Thanks!

knight604 11-09-2013 10:16 PM

Your wishywashy question can be answered by a simple google search.

You get 2 points for this infraction.

Alby 11-09-2013 10:25 PM

all red light cameras are reviewed. whoever is reviewing it will determine if you will be issued a penalty.

i got caught by a red light camera once when i was in the intersection waiting to turn left. some dumb girl crossed the crosswalk when she didn't have the right of way while chatting on her cell phone and didn't notice the do not walk signal had already been blinking. she took her sweet time strolling across and by the time it was safe for me to turn the light was already a stale red.

zulutango 11-10-2013 06:53 AM

My understanding is that the light has to be red before you enter the intersection. The camera then takes 2 pictures of your car & you get a ticket. From what you told us your driving did not fit that condition and therefore you are not likely to get a ticket. IF a ticket was issued, it would be issued to the registered owner, not the driver and no points are attached to a RO ticket, just the fine.

meme405 11-10-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8358768)
IF a ticket was issued, it would be issued to the registered owner, not the driver and no points are attached to a RO ticket, just the fine.

Thanks, cause that was my exact understanding of this.

The reason being, that often times redlight camera's do not capture who was driving the vehicle. Therefore they simply issue a ticket with a dollar figure to the driver. There are no points associated with a ticket issued from a redlight camera.

However if an officer pulls you over and issues the ticket, it can have two points associated with it.

rexsomnii 11-10-2013 01:31 PM

I think I saw you yesterday ! around 1150pm right ?
on knight ?

zulutango 11-10-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8358907)
Thanks, cause that was my exact understanding of this.

The reason being, that often times redlight camera's do not capture who was driving the vehicle. Therefore they simply issue a ticket with a dollar figure to the driver. There are no points associated with a ticket issued from a redlight camera.

However if an officer pulls you over and issues the ticket, it can have two points associated with it.

It's not that the camera didn't capture a picture of the driver, identity has to be proved to issue a ticket to the driver. The MVA says the owner is deemed responsible and that is who the VT is issued to. When Police stop a car, they identify the driver at that moment by a number of means. The camera does not.