REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   highbeams stuck on... where to take? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/690309-highbeams-stuck-where-take.html)

jpark 11-17-2013 09:32 PM

highbeams stuck on... where to take?

s2000

my highbeams decided to stay on one day. I thought it was the headlight switch as i was told on the s2k forums. Replaced my headlight/turn signal switch (replaced the whole clock spring actually) but it didnt fix the problem.

Ive searched everywhere but didn't get an answer nor does it look like any other s2k guys are having the same problem as me. Is there anywhere i can take my car into for stuff like this other than dealerships? I am currently running no highbeams at the moment, unplugged the highbeam bulbs for now as its my daily and i gotta use the car everyday.

Here are the symptoms
-The blue highbeam indicator stays lit on the cluster as soon as i turn my headlights on to lowbeam mode
-Highbeam bulbs itself stays on as well
-When i pull the headlight lever to an actual highbeam mode, the highbeam indicator on cluster brightens up, when i let go of the lever the highbeam indicator still stays on but goes dim
-When i drive over rough roads (kingsway, construction) the highbeam indicator on cluster goes on and off depending on the shock

SumAznGuy 11-18-2013 11:32 AM

Is your car is US import or a canadaan car?

meme405 11-18-2013 11:47 AM

NVM

inv4zn 11-18-2013 03:29 PM

Sounds like a loose contact in a relay - which one, I'm not too sure.

It could also be connected with your DRL module/relay, especially if it's a US import as the highbeam/DRL modules would have been added "aftermarket."

jpark 11-18-2013 11:08 PM

yes, my car is a us model and does have the aftermarket drl relay in the bay... Ill give that a check tommorow. Not to sure where to start checking though... any thoughts?

inv4zn 11-19-2013 12:30 AM

It sounds like the relay is stuck open, and is sending power to the high beams at all times.

See if you can disconnect the drl relay and if that fixes it. You may lose your high beams but at least you can narrow down the reason.

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem in my old accord where the left headlight wouldn't turn off, regardless of switch position - and it was the headlight relay.

SumAznGuy 11-19-2013 08:27 AM

Take some high res pics of the engine bay, closer to the headlights is best.
Knowing how hard it is to get at the headlights on the S, I am hoping the replay is inside the engine compartment and not installed behind the fender liners.

Puck Luck 11-23-2013 09:43 AM

Does this aftermarket drl system use the high beams (at half watts)?
Few years back, a friend of mine bought a used S2000 from the states and imported it. I jump a wire or two to have the park lights come on while the ignition is on. So only the front corner lights (amber, good enough for drl) and tail lights would come on. Didn't bother using any aftermarket kit

jpark 11-24-2013 07:20 PM

yeah the drl kit uses the high beam half watts.
personally, dont want to use my parking lights as drl and dont want my tail lights to be on all the time. Its a waste imo, especially on ap2 tails since they are led board. Once it burns out, gg, gotta get a whole new tail light assembly

BrRsn 11-24-2013 08:15 PM

So ... did you sort it out?

Sounds like everything is pointing towards a faulty relay. Depending on the relay you use, there's a ton of little connections that can go bad
Case in point, for the longest time my headlights would turn off/on sporadically and I too replaced my switch, but it was the wire leading to the fuse on the relay that was causing all my problems.

First see what the relay is using for the remote -- I'm assuming the relay is set up like this:

lowbeams on = relay off
lowbeams off = relay on (and DRL's ON)

So the problem would have to be with the wire that's connected to your lowbeam that shuts the relay off (the wire that's supposed to turn off your highbeams/DRL when your lowbeams are turned on)

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about (assuming you used a generic DRL relay)
http://my.frooition.com/090149/image...h%20layout.jpg

donjalapeno 11-30-2013 01:21 PM

LOL