REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Share your experience with Taiwanese made suspensions (https://www.revscene.net/forums/690416-share-your-experience-taiwanese-made-suspensions.html)

Evolutionian 11-20-2013 05:46 PM

Share your experience with Taiwanese made suspensions

Hello Fellas of Revscene..

Just doing a quick research on Taiwanese made suspensions..

How many of you run them? and how are they holding up?

Share some information and thoughts!

Known brands made by Taiwan right now..

BC
D2
KSPORT
TEIN (apparently they're made here)
FORTUNE AUTO
etc etc.

Add to the list if you know any other brand..

and how many of you would be interested to see more aggressive setup, with options of external reservoirs? aluminum top and bottom mounts?

AVS_Racing 11-21-2013 10:16 AM

I have my BC extreme drop kit with custom spring rates and its been pretty good. no real issues or complaints so far, but it did make the car have some sort of clapping, slapping sounds over small road imperfections in residential streets, but nothing on big streets or highway. I never figured it out what it was if it was a suspension bushing or a top hat. I kinda just got used to it and it is only there only if I drive through small residential streets.

Recon604 11-21-2013 10:37 AM

i have the bc br series on swift spring, could never been happier. Clapping, slapping are normal for aftermarket coilovers when driving over bumps, pot holes, etc

jpark 11-22-2013 10:49 AM

most of the brands you have listed are pretty reputable companies. I was expecting to see some no name brand coils from ebay or something

BrRsn 11-22-2013 11:05 AM

Oh man, I had some taiwanese made coilovers on my jeep .. made a terrible twanging noise going over bumps, just twang twang twand IDK why!

Triballurker 11-24-2013 08:31 AM

I have BC's with a Swift upgrade..

Love them.

The noise your hearing is probably due to not having the rubber mounts anymore

Evolutionian 11-25-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpark (Post 8367311)
most of the brands you have listed are pretty reputable companies. I was expecting to see some no name brand coils from ebay or something

Nah man, I meant "Taiwanese made".. so manufactured in tw. to me "name brand" is more like KW, Ohlins, CUSCO etc.

what are you lowered on anyway?

a00755836 11-29-2013 04:29 PM

just went to garage five and asked about those coilovers. cause i was looking at ksport/d2. he said that those dont last as long. he recommended tein or kw. i asked what about bc and he said that is good too.

tein and kw inner shocks are designed mainly for your car. those 'cheap' coilovers have the same shock design for all their applications. thats why tein/kw are more expensive.

later i asked, are megans crap? he said, "dont even think about getting megans" lol.

inv4zn 11-29-2013 06:27 PM

Haha I'm lowered on Megan coilovers - their cheapest one no less - and it's been pretty fine.

Evo Garage installed mine and he was rather impressed - although he could have been lying lol. Did a lot of research and they were very well rated in various locations of North America, some owners having had them for over 3 years without problems

Recon604 11-29-2013 08:31 PM

bc racing makes megans

inv4zn 11-29-2013 09:27 PM

Yeah I heard a single factory pumps out various brands..I don't remember which make which but if it's well established enough and have been around for years, I don't think they'll be that terrible.

jpark 12-06-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolutionian (Post 8368927)
Nah man, I meant "Taiwanese made".. so manufactured in tw. to me "name brand" is more like KW, Ohlins, CUSCO etc.

what are you lowered on anyway?

buddyclub

BoostedBB6 12-07-2013 09:56 AM

You get what you pay for.
There are good brands from Taiwan and there are bad ones.

For the most part, people are not using coilovers for there intended use. They just use them for an aggressive drop of adjustable drop. Not many track there cars or do road racing with them.
You can do this on TW made coilovers, but I have seen some pretty crummy stuff happen to various brands.

I don't have any personal experiance with these brands as I have only used Zeal and KW systems, I have seen what could happen.
At auto-x a few years back I saw the bottom of a strut completely snap off. Also seen the top snap off. These happened on D2 coilvoers.

D2, BuddyClub, Tein, KSport, BC, Fortune, Megan....anything that is well know and used is often a fairly safe bet if you are wanting to keep the cost low on some coilovers but dont expect much as far as performance.

There was an independent company that did some testing on a whole bunch of coilvers and what they found is that despite many companies listing them as adjustable dampening that they in fact make little to no difference when you make adjustments. This is simply a trade off for buying something that is 1/4 of the price of a high end set.

Evolutionian 12-14-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8377286)
You get what you pay for.
There are good brands from Taiwan and there are bad ones.

For the most part, people are not using coilovers for there intended use. They just use them for an aggressive drop of adjustable drop. Not many track there cars or do road racing with them.
You can do this on TW made coilovers, but I have seen some pretty crummy stuff happen to various brands.

I don't have any personal experiance with these brands as I have only used Zeal and KW systems, I have seen what could happen.
At auto-x a few years back I saw the bottom of a strut completely snap off. Also seen the top snap off. These happened on D2 coilvoers.

D2, BuddyClub, Tein, KSport, BC, Fortune, Megan....anything that is well know and used is often a fairly safe bet if you are wanting to keep the cost low on some coilovers but dont expect much as far as performance.

There was an independent company that did some testing on a whole bunch of coilvers and what they found is that despite many companies listing them as adjustable dampening that they in fact make little to no difference when you make adjustments. This is simply a trade off for buying something that is 1/4 of the price of a high end set.

I agree, well, thats why supplying dyno testing charts are neccessary right?

BoostedBB6 12-14-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolutionian (Post 8381851)
I agree, well, thats why supplying dyno testing charts are neccessary right?

If you want a coilover that actually offers what they say they offer then you need to spend the money.
Its like anything in life, if you want quality its going to cost you more.

This is why there is such a price difference between a quality set of coilovers and a budget set of coilovers.

My KW's are 3k a set of BC for my car is $800....they both offer the same thing but the KW's WAY out perform the BC.

Evolutionian 12-15-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8381857)
If you want a coilover that actually offers what they say they offer then you need to spend the money.
Its like anything in life, if you want quality its going to cost you more.

This is why there is such a price difference between a quality set of coilovers and a budget set of coilovers.

My KW's are 3k a set of BC for my car is $800....they both offer the same thing but the KW's WAY out perform the BC.

well, I understand, if it cost 3k it better out perform something 1/3 of its price right? but dont get me wrong, there are stuff like D2, which leaks in no time, K-sport is kinda the same thing, then there is BC, a bit better than the other two, and of course we also have TEIN, which I kinda question, because its suppose to be JDM.. but I've been hearing it being made in TW..

alot of those things are now being made in TW.. like Enkei wheels.. Greddy BBK.. etc.

E.D.C.5 12-15-2013 07:28 PM

I'm on BC racing and no problem so far.

Evolutionian 12-15-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.D.C.5 (Post 8382766)
I'm on BC racing and no problem so far.

I had BC on my 3 before, it was alright as well.