REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Restaurants Open Xmas Night? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/690890-restaurants-open-xmas-night.html)

quasi 12-04-2013 08:37 PM

Restaurants Open Xmas Night?

I have used google, it's hit and miss. Anyone have any recommendation of restaurants open Christmas night? My family moved away, it's just myself, wife and kid and figure why cook?

I'm looking for traditional North American Christmas meals, turkey and what not, buffet would be fine. I pretty much live in Langley but I'm not opposed to going downtown.

tiger_handheld 12-04-2013 08:42 PM

what kind of employer makes their employees work on christmas night :\

maybe river rock?

StylinRed 12-04-2013 08:54 PM

western style food...hmmm...i think you're going to have to book at the restaurant/lounges of hotels

check this out http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?m=73&ref=8782&pid=6 list of western style restaurants open most seem to be in hotels

murd0c 12-04-2013 08:55 PM

best luck would be a Chinese restaurant, you wont find anything Western Style that will be open.

MG1 12-04-2013 09:05 PM

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Vancouver - Weather, Vancouver - Maps, Events, Entertainment and more

Tom and Jerry's in Vancouver for take out?

westopher 12-04-2013 09:09 PM

Fairmont hotel vancouver did turkey dinner last christmas. I know it was pricey, but likely pretty awesome food/experience.

MG1 12-04-2013 09:17 PM

^yup, Fairmont is on the list that I linked in my previous post. It's really good from friends who have gone that route.

bcrdukes 12-04-2013 10:20 PM

Last year, I hired an accountant who worked at Deloitte. He specialized in US business tax and I believe his going rate was $250/hr? Anyway, he moonlights as a private chef (not a modder - trust me guys.)

Any way, he shows up with 3 other assistants and what I would consider a mobile kitchen? (Professional quality too - the whole shebang!) They prepared a fabulous 5 course Christmas meal (it's a surprise so you don't really know what you get) and man, it was absolutely delicious.

In the end, it worked out to $50/head but it was totally worth it, save for the awkward and lewd accounting jokes this guy pulled off in hopes to entertain us. Man, I swear, he gets horny anytime someone mentioned compound interest and GICs.

PM me for contact info.

westopher 12-04-2013 10:27 PM

I'll do it for $100 an hour but I have no mobile kitchen. I also will only tell awesome jokes.

CRS 12-04-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8375509)
I'll do it for $100 an hour but I have no mobile kitchen. I also will only tell awesome jokes.

:lol

I was actually looking for a dinner with some friends (15 total) and was thinking of hitting your restaurant as nothing has been set.

Maybe I should skip your restaurant if you're offering private cookings....

:ifyouknow:

westopher 12-04-2013 10:53 PM

I'm your private chef
A chef for money
I'll cook what you want me to cook
Yes your private chef
A chef for money
And any old ingredients will do

Dutchmarks or dollars
American Express will do nicely, thank you
Let me loosen up your collar
Tell me, do you wanna see me brine the pork loin again?

-Tina Turner

Sentinel 12-04-2013 11:10 PM

Mosaic Bar & Grille at the Hyatt Regency is opened for xmas night. It is pricey though, $65/adult... I think kids is like $50 or something.

winson604 12-04-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8375406)

Tom and Jerry's closed recently. It's now Moulan Rouge or some shit. Might be same owners different name but who knows.

Marshall Placid 12-04-2013 11:50 PM

I use opentable.com often....

Try this on opentable.com... 18 restaurants available at 7PM for a party of 3...

Restaurant Reservation Availability

MG1 12-05-2013 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winson604 (Post 8375589)
Tom and Jerry's closed recently. It's now Moulan Rouge or some shit. Might be same owners different name but who knows.

Change is good, but damn it......... Moulan Rouge?

Maybe Tom got sick of Jerry.

MasonJar 12-05-2013 08:59 AM

Denny's.

Bouncing Bettys 12-05-2013 09:28 AM

Why cook? Maybe so businesses won't receive your money and thus not see the benefit in staying open on Christmas Day. In a lot of cases with the service industry someone is: a) facing the choice of work or be fired or b) is happy to work for the holiday wage rate because their employer isn't paying them a living wage.

I hope you appreciate the service and tip your servers/cooks really well.

Speed2K 12-05-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid (Post 8375599)
I use opentable.com often....

Try this on opentable.com... 18 restaurants available at 7PM for a party of 3...

Restaurant Reservation Availability

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 8375566)
Mosaic Bar & Grille at the Hyatt Regency is opened for xmas night. It is pricey though, $65/adult... I think kids is like $50 or something.

FWIW, I made reservations a couple of weeks back for Mosaic. We have an odd number of people and Open Table said there was no availability so I booked for 4 and called the restaurant and they were able to change it to 5. I'm not sure if other restaurants are the same but it's worth calling if there's somewhere you really want to go that shows no availability on OT.

Marshall Placid 12-05-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2K (Post 8375827)
FWIW, I made reservations a couple of weeks back for Mosaic. We have an odd number of people and Open Table said there was no availability so I booked for 4 and called the restaurant and they were able to change it to 5. I'm not sure if other restaurants are the same but it's worth calling if there's somewhere you really want to go that shows no availability on OT.

Yes, this happens often.

If you can't get a time on opentable.com, you can phone the restaurant directly.

I think each individual restaurants can choose how many tables to allot to opentable.com .

They usually have some spots for backup or for returning customers.

ae101 12-06-2013 03:06 AM

"we all love McD & so do u" hahaha

but seriously as stated above, go look for a nice hotel
Posted via RS Mobile

SkinnyPupp 12-06-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8375393)
best luck would be a Chinese restaurant, you wont find anything Western Style that will be open.

My family's tradition for years :awwyeah:

Pass over the rubber ball sweet and sour pork balls and the CHOP SUEY. Don't forget the all you can eat TEMPURA~!

MG1 12-06-2013 04:23 PM

Hahahaha............ chop suey. Long time no hear that term. Flower Drum Song from Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Couldn't find the Madam "Auntie" Liang's song, "Chop Suey," but here's something way better.

Nancy Kwan :fullofwin:

.............waiting for wardrobe malfunction (nip slip)......... nope.

Jayboogz 12-06-2013 05:33 PM

most chinese restaurants will be open hahas. if theres money to make chinese are down fosho

Infiniti 12-07-2013 08:00 AM

Hawksworth

jackal 12-08-2013 02:16 AM

just go to a roasty jacks at a mall at lunch. grab all your food and just reheat.

shit sorry i read xmas eve. not sure if malls open xmas day. but you could just grab the food the day before.