REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Car wont start, need insight... help!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691128-car-wont-start-need-insight-help.html)

wasabisashimi 12-12-2013 01:33 AM

Car wont start, need insight... help!!

I parked my car on the driveway and went on vacation for 2 weeks.

I came back and found snow and ice cover the car.
I tried to start the car, but it wont crank. I cant even put car into neutral. It doesn't let me shift my automatic shifter. I wanted to push out of my driveway.

My car is a 99 accord V6. Currently the car has no lights, no power at all.

I hooked it up via jumper cable to a Land Rover. It still doesn't crank or make any sound. The only thing I get when hooked up to the Land rover is when I step on the brake, I get a tail light. Even when hooked up, I still didn't get the headlight or turn signal or interior lights to come on.

I went to Costco as recommended from here to buy a New battery. I installed it and still nothing. I also hooked jumper cable from the new battery to Land Rover, and still nothing..;

Does anyone know what the possible cause it? Is there something else broken?

I am going to get it towed, but if it is something easy fix, I can ask a mechanic to come to my house instead of having it towed. If it is major problem, I better have it towed to a shop.

Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions or insights to my car problem.

knight604 12-12-2013 01:42 AM

Did you give it some gas while you tried to jump it? in the Rover?

wasabisashimi 12-12-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight604 (Post 8380593)
Did you give it some gas while you tried to jump it? in the Rover?

Yes, when the old battery was in it, I had my neighbor gas the rover to about 2500-3000rmp while I crank the Honda. This didn't make any difference.

After putting the new battery from Costco, I didn't have anyone to gas the Rover.

IMASA 12-12-2013 06:06 AM

got a volt meter to check the voltage on the Costco battery? I've bought two DOA batteries from crappy tire before.
Posted via RS Mobile

BoostedBB6 12-12-2013 06:41 AM

Do you live near farm land?
If so, I have seen a lot of rodent damage since it has been getting cold out.
Had a similar issue with two vehicles (05 Matrix and 13 RAV4). Both vehicles has the engine wiring harness chewed up by rats.

If you have tried jumping it and get no power, new battery and now power it sounds to me like there is something strange going on. Any water leaks into the car since being parked outside? I've seen water damage to ECU's cause this as well.

wasabisashimi 12-12-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8380628)
Do you live near farm land?
If so, I have seen a lot of rodent damage since it has been getting cold out.
Had a similar issue with two vehicles (05 Matrix and 13 RAV4). Both vehicles has the engine wiring harness chewed up by rats.

If you have tried jumping it and get no power, new battery and now power it sounds to me like there is something strange going on. Any water leaks into the car since being parked outside? I've seen water damage to ECU's cause this as well.

I dont live in farm land. I dont know if there are mouse here. I guess I have to get it towed to a shop. I am out of ideas. It better not be rats.

godwin 12-12-2013 10:27 AM

I assume you have checked your fuse box and relays to make sure everything major are fine?

Iceman-19 12-12-2013 10:32 AM

We from the sounds of it you arent exactly car savvy, so are you sure you didn't hook up the jumper cables incorrectly? Doing this can fry your ECM in your car. Also, you should not need to jump a car with a new battery. It sounds to me like you have a corroded ground cable somewhere, and the moisture and cold has only made the problem worse. Take it to a shop, you don't have the skills to properly diagnose this yourself, or over the internet. Mechanics do 4 years of schooling and training for a reason.

wasabisashimi 12-12-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8380711)
I assume you have checked your fuse box and relays to make sure everything major are fine?

Car was running fine as usual. Can fuse box be damaged when parked for 2 weeks? or cold weather?

Iceman-19 12-12-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8380720)
We from the sounds of it you arent exactly car savvy, so are you sure you didn't hook up the jumper cables incorrectly? Doing this can fry your ECM in your car. Also, you should not need to jump a car with a new battery. It sounds to me like you have a corroded ground cable somewhere, and the moisture and cold has only made the problem worse. Take it to a shop, you don't have the skills to properly diagnose this yourself, or over the internet. Mechanics do 4 years of schooling and training for a reason.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

:suspicious:

Derp 12-16-2013 10:47 AM

^lol wat

BrRsn 12-17-2013 12:53 AM

iceman quoted iceman fuck.... time span continuum is broken

abort

finbar 12-17-2013 05:18 AM

It may be a recall item.
Contact the dealer, have the VIN handy.

Edit;
A heavy keyring gets you to fail mode faster.

wasabisashimi 12-17-2013 07:42 PM

got it fixed, The fusebox was frozen

PaChiLa Leader 01-31-2014 07:57 AM

Lol never heard that before
Glad you got it all fixed up
Posted via RS Mobile