REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   BC Hydro - High Bill, Strange Usage (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691523-bc-hydro-high-bill-strange-usage.html)

godwin 12-30-2013 01:22 AM

Old house with old meter? if so, then the gears of the meter is probably so worn that it is not registering.. that's one of the reason why BCHydro wants to upgrade everyone to modern solid state meters, so you don't get charge less as your meter ages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8390235)
I live with 3 other adults and a baby in an old house with gas and hydro, this current billing cycle the two combined are about $200; you have to be using a lot of stuff to be $500
Posted via RS Mobile

godwin 12-30-2013 01:27 AM

Since you are renting, just get an electrician in. If it is a condo, make sure you let the front desk know, so your electrician can access the panels and access points that are not in your apartment just in case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8390576)
Yes, everything is on hydro.
We inspected the heater and its working properly, not loosing heat and not coming on when it should not come on.

We are going to have an electrician come in and take a look at everything if there is no resolution tomorrow.

seakrait 12-31-2013 12:19 PM

well, i changed two of three thermostats from 20 to 16 starting from 12:01am on the 29th. our kid's room we turned it down to 18-19. and we tried to make less use of our kitchen's halogen pot lights as well as making sure to turn off unnecessary lights. this is the result after our two-day experiment.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...1at10601PM.png

my wife's grumbling a bit about being a bit cold so we might turn the heat up a bit.

we have all our blinds closed now but it makes the place a bit dark. I wonder if I use more electricity countering the heat loss from open blinds or from using more lamps to light up the place with daylight... I doubt that our blinds really keep much (or any) heat in though.

BoostedBB6 12-31-2013 12:48 PM

Lighting in our place is all super energey efficent lighting and we still only use one or two lights at any one given time.

Your meter readings are great compared to ours!!!!
We shut off everything but the fridge and water heater and we still get 48-52

seekerbeta 12-31-2013 03:01 PM

http://www.amazon.ca/P3-Internationa.../dp/B00009MDBU

you might want to pick up a kill a watt, and run it everyday in a different plug in the house, thats how i found out that one of my side lamps would continue to draw power even when it was off.

seakrait 12-31-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8391256)
Lighting in our place is all super energey efficent lighting and we still only use one or two lights at any one given time.

Your meter readings are great compared to ours!!!!
We shut off everything but the fridge and water heater and we still get 48-52

Yeah, if you're still getting 48-52 and everything but the fridge and water heater are off, I definitely think BC Hydro needs to take a look because all I did was turn down the heat by 4 degrees and shut off some lights and our electricity bill for the day went down by at least a third.

JesseBlue 12-31-2013 05:16 PM

Still havent checked your hotwater heater tank? I bet one of the thermostat is turned all the way up while the other one is turned down...
Posted via RS Mobile

tool001 12-31-2013 08:32 PM

Thanks for the Kill a Watt Monitor info

fsy82 01-03-2014 08:26 AM

If your house is all eletric you might want to check where your water tank is. I found that in my townhouse it was cranked all the way up when we moved in and that caused the huge bill.

BoostedBB6 01-03-2014 09:03 AM

Here is another example of why things dont match up.

Dec 24, we had my wife's dad over for dinner. Had all the lights in the house on, heat on, using hot water to wash, ran dish washer, had two showers and our usage was 75kwh for the day.

Dec 25. Her dad and my dad over, all lights on, heaters on, 3 showers, 2 loads of dishes through the dish washer, running lots of hot water for larger dishes, oven was on from 10:30am - 5:30pm cooking brunch and dinner. Usage was 85kwh for the day.

Dec 26. 1 Shower, 1 light on, 1 heater running. 73kwh.

Just does not make any sense.

I will have to take a look at the hot water tank. I took a quick look and it had two access panels on the side that noted you need to kill the breaker before adjusting temp. I assume the thermostats are behind those. Not sure how to make sure they are adjusted properly as I have no experience with water heaters.

fsy82 01-03-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 (Post 8392790)
Here is another example of why things dont match up.

Dec 24, we had my wife's dad over for dinner. Had all the lights in the house on, heat on, using hot water to wash, ran dish washer, had two showers and our usage was 75kwh for the day.

Dec 25. Her dad and my dad over, all lights on, heaters on, 3 showers, 2 loads of dishes through the dish washer, running lots of hot water for larger dishes, oven was on from 10:30am - 5:30pm cooking brunch and dinner. Usage was 85kwh for the day.

Dec 26. 1 Shower, 1 light on, 1 heater running. 73kwh.

Just does not make any sense.

I will have to take a look at the hot water tank. I took a quick look and it had two access panels on the side that noted you need to kill the breaker before adjusting temp. I assume the thermostats are behind those. Not sure how to make sure they are adjusted properly as I have no experience with water heaters.

Also where your hot watertank is there might be a baseboard heater which may turned up all the way as well. That was another culprit for our huge bills.

pissedoffe55 01-04-2014 01:25 PM

I am really upset about my latest BC hydro bill too..

I just moved my family into a 1000 sq foot condo in hopes of saving $$

It is a brand new building, we are the first occupants in the unit...

For our first 2 months usage our bill was $293!! Nearly double the cost of my old 3000sq ft house. I have 2 friends who live in the same building and there bills are about $60/month...The only answer that I can think is that the baseboard heaters are really power consuming and we usually had the heat on because we have 2 small children.

I was really disappointed when I saw that first bill lol...

jaguar604 01-04-2014 03:07 PM

Electric heaters use A LOT of power. My bill multiplies by 3 during the colder months when I have the heaters on when I'm not out.

tonyzoomzoom 01-04-2014 03:26 PM

Electrically heated homes consume two to three times the electricity as a non electrically heated home; but of course you won't have a natural gas bill to deal with. And all of that electricity consumption for heating is concentrated in the winter months.

Presto 01-04-2014 03:35 PM

I mine about $10 in cryptocurrency per day. It works out well in the winter months since it heats my condo, as well. :)

CrazyMBalla 01-04-2014 10:36 PM

I should know this but I don't, what is the quickest way to determine which is cheaper to use, BC Hydo or Fortis Gas? I know there is a step 1 then a step 2 with hydro but I am trying to get a general sense of what is cheaper to use at the moment, electricity or gas?