REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Need suggestions as to what to buy for relative overseas (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691833-need-suggestions-what-buy-relative-overseas.html)

Slifer 01-08-2014 06:33 PM

Need suggestions as to what to buy for relative overseas

I'm thinking of getting a couple bottles of ice wine at YVR duty free but I have a connecting flight at Taipei. (can't board the plane with liquids over 100ml so that won't work unless the duty free shop at Taipei sells them)

Need some other suggestions. (Relatives are in Singapore/Malaysia)
Thanks!

CharlesInCharge 01-08-2014 06:36 PM

A mini totem pole if you can find one
http://www.northwestnativearts.net/i.../image9141.jpg

320icar 01-08-2014 06:58 PM

Smoked salmon or maple syrup. The typical stuff...
Posted via RS Mobile

CP.AR 01-08-2014 07:00 PM

tim horton's coffee

Presto 01-08-2014 07:02 PM

Agree. Smoked Salmon. Maple Syrup.

kkthind 01-08-2014 07:02 PM

I always wondered why world duty free sells alcohol that is over 100ml and yet cannot board it on the plane in a carry on. Can you buy a separate suitcase and put bottles in them and have them separately boarded on the same flight?

Also, world duty free sells these Belgium chocolate truffles that have only 6 pieces in a box and are pretty good

geeknerd 01-08-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkthind (Post 8396172)
I always wondered why world duty free sells alcohol that is over 100ml and yet cannot board it on the plane in a carry on. Can you buy a separate suitcase and put bottles in them and have them separately boarded on the same flight?

Also, world duty free sells these Belgium chocolate truffles that have only 6 pieces in a box and are pretty good

Duty-free is after the security check, you can carry it on.

Also, they always ask you if your final destination is the same as your ticket. If you say no, my guess is they load it into the cargo for you or something.

syee 01-08-2014 09:46 PM

Why not just buy it at the liquor store here and pack it in your luggage. The price differential I find isn't that much different. (although I may not be comparing apples to apples since I tend to buy the BC based ice wines from the Okanagan and the airport tends to sell the ON ones (Niagara on the Lake)

westopher 01-08-2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slifer (Post 8396152)
I'm thinking of getting a couple bottles of ice wine at YVR duty free but I have a connecting flight at Taipei. (can't board the plane with liquids over 100ml so that won't work unless the duty free shop at Taipei sells them)

Need some other suggestions. (Relatives are in Singapore/Malaysia)
Thanks!

Anything you buy after security (i.e. items from duty free) you can take on the flight, haven't you ever taken a bottle of water or pop on a plane? :suspicious:

TOPEC 01-08-2014 11:36 PM

like others have said, u can buy alcohol after security and bring it in flight, last time i bought a few bottles of alcohol back from hk, the duty free shop put the bottles in a huge plastic air filled with air and sealed it so it doesnt get bumped and crack open.

rsx 01-09-2014 12:58 AM

c-lai visors
super long gloves for driving

Lancerion 01-09-2014 08:25 AM

http://posharpstore.com/images/thumbs/0006285_600.jpg

Slifer 01-09-2014 09:19 AM

I know I can bring it on the plane at YVR but I'm transiting in Taipei and I would have to go through security again there. Thats the problem

fishCak3s 01-09-2014 09:58 AM

Yeah last time I was in Rome and wanted to buy some Italian liquor, the cashier asked to see my boarding pass and said he can sell it to me but there "might" be problems at Amsterdam (where I'll be transfering) where I might be taxed or dutied.

I'm not sure how it works but that's what the cashier told me.

Spoon 01-09-2014 10:26 AM

Salmon candy.

If there's kids, get them ketchup chips. That's what my sister brings back for herself every time she visits us at least.

BrRsn 01-09-2014 10:54 AM

a revscene membership

BBMme 01-09-2014 11:03 AM

I would go with a maple syrup in a Maple leaf bottle
Posted via RS Mobile

mos_skeeto 01-09-2014 01:25 PM

Theres that maple store in gastown that sells candy and tacky stuff shaped in maple leafs.

godwin 01-09-2014 01:50 PM

If you are not familiar with the international departure section, all the touristy shops belong to DFS, so they are using the 1 chain many shops strategy. If you are flying with AirCanada, you usually turn a left after the security checkpoint, so the first big store will likely be the store you pick those things up. There will be another smaller store by the gate. If you are flying with anyone else, you hang a right, there is another huge section; after the long walkway, basically you have to walk through a store before you get to the area where the aquarium is. There are more space so they locate more stores / merchandise.

One hint, they use some basic text book shoppers psychology methods, eg regular prices at stores closer to the checkpoint and discounts closer to the gates.. I suggest if it is for adults get some Canadian alcohol like Crystal Skull etc.

Oh their discounted stuff? check the expiry date.. usually they are really close to expiring for food stuff.

Dragon-88 01-09-2014 03:23 PM

I usually bring consumables that you cant get in that country. I hate bringing souvenirs cause it doesn't really mean anything to those you are giving it to. Yes, for yourself a souvenir brings back memories wherever your destination was. But at least with food, they can enjoy something they cant get locally, and if they like it, then just maybe they will come out my way and bring some snacks that I missed having there.

JesseBlue 01-09-2014 03:41 PM

buy them a ferrari

asahai69 01-09-2014 11:35 PM

10 pack of timbits