REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Clothing Donation Downtown (https://www.revscene.net/forums/691892-clothing-donation-downtown.html)

Obsideon 01-11-2014 06:41 PM

Clothing Donation Downtown

Is there any place in downtown (like a bin) that I can give away clothes? Feels kind of wasted if I throw them away in the garbage.
Over the winter I've had quite a few customers leave behind a lot of random clothing and never came back to reclaim them.
I was wondering if there's a spot I can just drop off 2-3 scarves/hats/gloves/carnigans/jackets/clothing every couple weeks or do I have to save it all up in a giant bag beforehand?

MG1 01-11-2014 06:47 PM

Vancouver Charity Donation Boxes, Drop Boxes and Dropoff Bins Map

Preemo 01-11-2014 10:37 PM

Big Brother will come and pick up from you too.

bartone 01-11-2014 11:49 PM

or hand it out to someone who needs it in the dt eastside

SpartanAir 01-12-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8397777)

Wow this is a great map!

Not listed however is Wildlife Thrift Store, they seem to take anything including household stuff, and unlike Value Village or Salvation Army, they give back monthly donations to local charities since 1997. :fullofwin:

The Wildlife Thrift Store - Supporting local Charities since 1997

saucywoman 01-12-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsideon (Post 8397772)
Is there any place in downtown (like a bin) that I can give away clothes? Feels kind of wasted if I throw them away in the garbage.
Over the winter I've had quite a few customers leave behind a lot of random clothing and never came back to reclaim them.
I was wondering if there's a spot I can just drop off 2-3 scarves/hats/gloves/carnigans/jackets/clothing every couple weeks or do I have to save it all up in a giant bag beforehand?

When I did our clothing drive last month I donated directly to The Living Room, I recommend this place.
Posted via RS Mobile

godwin 01-12-2014 09:40 AM

Certain drop boxes are operated by independent operators who collect clothes, sell them as bulk by weight then return "part" of the proceeds to the charities. So it is not something that I recommend.

From the sounds of it, you might want to "partner" with a local group, so the items can get immediate use and they get given seasonally?

If your clothes are in good condition, just explain the situation to UGM, More than a roof's Karis Place or Salvation Army's Harbor Light. I am sure front line workers are happier to give to people in need rather you drop off at a collection point.

seakrait 01-12-2014 11:09 AM

there's a donation bin at robson/broughton which is just two blocks down from ebisu. i'm sure there's actually one closer to robson and bute but i'm just going from memory.
also, you can donate one scarf or 100 scarves. just needs to be in a plastic bag.