REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Car break-ins

I had my car broken in to last night. I parked on Granville street a block south of 41st. It was dinner time around 8pm. I really can't believe it happened there at that hour on such a lively street! My whole right rear passenger window was smashed and the person somehow ****ed up the door also. It wouldn't even open! All they took was my bag with my textbooks and okay.. The new ps vita I got for Christmas was inside. All I want are my textbooks back. Those are pricey as ****.

The most retarded thing is that I just fixed it up a month from another break in when I parked at home in burnaby.

How frequent do these break ins have to happen seriously..
Well I learned not to put anything in the car at all. It was just very unexpected this time on such a lively street. Ugh...
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

just dont leave bag or anything that make people think there something value in there
ImPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
i am sorry for your misfortune but like you said, leaving your stuff out where it can be seen inside the car is just an open invitation to break in. i keep chewing my dad out for leaving spare change that he uses for parking meters on his dash... it's only a matter of time
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Leaving a bag/backpack/satchel/whatever inside is just begging to be broken into...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
leaving spare change that he uses for parking meters on his dash... it's only a matter of time
I'm way too guilty of that...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

there is a thing called a trunk
AeroK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

bad luck but don't tempt thieves by leaving your bag out like that, basically asking for it.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

The first time at home was for some chips I had in the car... Seriously chips? Is he really that hungry? I had to pay about 300$ just for him to have some chips. I guess maybe it was kale chips that attracted him.

I seriously left my guard down this time. I thought it wouldn't happen on Granville. I'm wrong for leaving my school bag in the car... Gonna have to fork out at least 500$ this time.
Posted via RS Mobile
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
sorry to hear that, but sounds kinda odd.

those thieves break into cars to steal sound systems, expensive parts, money, etc...but text books???
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
degenerate extraordinaire

Our car was broken into as well... but it was closer to Magee secondary.

Repeat offender though. Third time in 4 years of living at this current house, in our gated driveway. We park 3 cars side by side on the driveway, and the person always went for our middle car. And people say Mercedes are never targets (first 2 was older C240, and this morning it was our C300).

Nothing was taken, and they seemed to only have gone through the door pockets and the ashtray, which subsequently only had a bandaid, in which the person kindly declined.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
I'm way too guilty of that...
can i "FAIL" you?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-17-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

those thieves break into cars to steal sound systems, expensive parts, money, etc...but text books???
that's why it's called a smash and grab. thieves like that don't hang around to pick and choose, just grab the bag and go.

there is a chance that the books are probably dumped off somewhere under a hedge or in a dumpster nearby.

i would suggest the OP do a walkaround of the neighborhood of the area and see if the stolen stuff that can't be pawned off might be lying around.

Last edited by thumper; 01-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
Our car was broken into as well... but it was closer to Magee secondary.

Repeat offender though. Third time in 4 years of living at this current house, in our gated driveway. We park 3 cars side by side on the driveway, and the person always went for our middle car. And people say Mercedes are never targets (first 2 was older C240, and this morning it was our C300).

Nothing was taken, and they seemed to only have gone through the door pockets and the ashtray, which subsequently only had a bandaid, in which the person kindly declined.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/68729...a-anymore.html

Is this the guy that told you Mercedes never get broken into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

Unless they are telepathic or have x-ray vision they are not going to know what is in the bag before they smash the window. So no this is not "odd" at all, the thief saw a bag, decided he was willing to risk the odds of not getting caught to find out if there was anything of value in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightKeeper View Post
The first time at home was for some chips I had in the car... Seriously chips? Is he really that hungry? I had to pay about 300$ just for him to have some chips. I guess maybe it was kale chips that attracted him

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I leave nothing in plain sight with empty coin tray and glove box lids opened when I absolutely have to park my car out on a street ...

I got my window smashed once and all they took was a used hat I wore when having a bad hair day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
can i "FAIL" you?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I'm sort of around that area, but I'm not sure if this is the same thief(got broken in; in like Oct)...parked my car out in the back alley of my house with NOTHING visible in sight. Breaks in, steals back pack. All I got in there are textbooks and it was in my trunk... Guy was also super retarded as he crowbarred the side of my window instead of the door jam and climbed into my car through a tiny ass quarter glass(cuz hands can't reach the lock and there were shoe prints on my interior panels)...and not even touching my aftermarket stereo

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #17
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
I'm sort of around that area, but I'm not sure if this is the same thief(got broken in; in like Oct)...parked my car out in the back alley of my house with NOTHING visible in sight. Breaks in, steals back pack. All I got in there are textbooks and it was in my trunk... Guy was also super retarded as he crowbarred the side of my window instead of the door jam and climbed into my car through a tiny ass quarter glass(cuz hands can't reach the lock and there were shoe prints on my interior panels)...and not even touching my aftermarket stereo
Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #18
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Nah. I'll let you off with a warning
Old 01-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Factory alarms would go off if they opened the door while it is locked (though I'm not so sure about the trunk), so their best option is to reach in through the window.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Get a fake flashing led light on top of your steering column.
Get a fake "bait car" sticker on your window.

Its like a REALLY BIG black guy looking you in the face holding a flipblade, that you have never seen and saying "Im gonna cut your ass up." But really he is super nice.

Thieves see the same when you present an LED or sticker.
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
thought that last video was real!! lol cracked up when he came back for his brick...
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #22
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Empty gun holster on passenger seat with 3/4 empty open box of bullets beside it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #23
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I probably park at almost the exact spot you were at whenever I eat at Ebei Sushi...

Have noticed broken glass on multiple occasions on that block. From now on, I think I'll park across the street near Esso instead.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #24
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

recently I noticed a lot car break-ins/suspicious activities on the west side. I live around Granville and 49th. In fact couple days ago, I noticed my backyard door was opened. So I checked my video surveillance and found a women wearing a toque walking around my backyard, looking into my garage and home. She came from the front and enter thru the sidedoor. Then she just opened the backyard door and left...

This happened last sunday 3:00AM. So keep your eyes on the look out
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #25
RS Licensed Vendor

Gotta think about it this way.

Takes someone all of 1 second to smash a window, maybe a couple seconds to reach in and run off with whatever valuables.

So a junky with no income can spend 5 seconds and possibly make hundreds if not thousands depending on whats in the bag.

NEVER leave valuables in sight. Even on a busy street. No one would intervene. Don't be lazy, lock your stuff in the trunk.

I once left a set of sunglasses out in my ex gf's car. Parked the car to run into the store for less than 5 mins. They broke in and stole my glasses and opened the trunk to steal my gf's jacket too.

My personal car. I lock the switch for my trunk, and in come cases disconnect the inside trunk release so only can be opened by remote and/or key. I've been lucky enough to say I haven't had a single break in for 10+ years. But leave nothing in sight, like NOTHING. Lock my trunk and glove box. And have an after market alarm with paging + GPS. I've had a few incidents, but nothing got damaged or stolen. Just a hood popped open to try and disconnect my battery/alarm.

Hood pin saved me on that one.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote