REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Car Rental in San Francisco (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692449-car-rental-san-francisco.html)

CP.AR 02-01-2014 07:18 AM

Car Rental in San Francisco

Hello,

I'll be heading to San Francisco soon for 3 days and Need to rent a car for 2 days. Seeing that I'm 24, I need to pay that stupid underage fee (because they don't trust me with a car)

Does anyone have any experience renting with the "non-big brand" rental places? Which rental company is generally the cheapest?

Thanks in Advance.

bcrdukes 02-01-2014 11:47 AM

* * * EDIT * * *

DO NOT USE THE CODE BELOW FOR UNDERAGE FEE WAIVIER!
It no longer works as verified by Amuro Ray! Sorry folks! :(

(You can still use it get check if rates are better though!)
Enterprise

Corporate code: 4CA5793
Code: ROG

Underage fee waived - unlocked. Good luck. Have fun. :hotbaby:

BrRsn 02-01-2014 01:13 PM

bcrdukes;

philanthropist, collector of fine-used vintage italian goods, expert car-renter.

Special K 02-01-2014 02:21 PM

Tolls in San Fran is not fun :(

I think I racked up $40 in 5 days.

Also bring lots of coins for the parking meters. Most don't take credit cards and I didn't have data on my phone. Ended up with a $75 parking ticket too. Haha
Posted via RS Mobile

Iceman-19 02-01-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8409499)
Enterprise

Corporate code: 4CA5793
Code: ROG

Underage fee waived - unlocked. Good luck. Have fun. :hotbaby:

US locations only?

BrRsn 02-01-2014 03:56 PM

^locally to get it waived just sign up for costco executive and rent with budget

I'm not sure of any other local places, Ritz rent-a-car used to, but it's hit and miss (i.e. they won't charge you the underage fee, but they'll bump up the daily rental price0

Zedbra 02-01-2014 04:05 PM

I have always found Enterprise to be quite expensive in major cities in the states. I use Avis quite often, depending on where I am going. I do a lot of one way trips, and Enterprise is not on that program without charging an arm and a leg

BrRsn 02-01-2014 04:29 PM

^Avis = mostly corporate owned = DGAF if their cars end up in one town or the other, also DGAF about minor damage (light scrapes, rim damage, tire damage, even windshields in some cases, etc)

Enterprise = franchisees (sometimes) so they're super anal, same thing with dollar thrifty/ budget in BC

bcrdukes 02-01-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8409550)
US locations only?

Any.

A few RS members have used it with great success. :)

CP.AR 02-01-2014 09:24 PM

Thanks dukes. I'll thank you when I get to a computer.
It doesn't really show me a grand total though... I'll look at it again when I get home
Posted via RS Mobile

Iceman-19 02-03-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8409652)
Any.

A few RS members have used it with great success. :)

Im out in New York right now, and might give it a go. Thanks Dukes.

bcrdukes 02-03-2014 08:43 AM

Have fun and let us know how the rental code goes! :)

Eastwood 02-08-2014 12:58 PM

I was in San Fran for a Sharks game a couple months back. I rented a Mazda 3 Skyactic from AVIS and I paid $99.xx for a 3 day rental (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).

I highly recommend them.

CP.AR 02-19-2014 04:46 PM

Update: The code doesn't take out the young renter premium.
Still, I only paid 100 for a 2 day rental including the premium and CDW

bcrdukes 02-19-2014 06:38 PM

Ouch! :(

Sorry folks. Looks like the code is no longer valid for deferring the underage fee.

HondaGuy 02-20-2014 12:19 PM

When arrived to sfo airport, take the Skytrain and go to the rental cars station.
Check out Alamo rentals, been with them 3 times and very fair pricing. They always have 2-3 day specials or 1 week... They keep sending me emails after lol...
If you need to add another driver onto paperworks, theres no additional fee. Some companies do.
They will ask if you need a gps when leaving so just bring your own.

Oftentimes, they have a free upgrade where whatever class car you choose, you get a free upgrade to a bigger sedan or van.
Last time I got a chevy cruze, nice powerful sedan to beat around.
Best part is they have newer cars all mid level trims.

One thing though, when they sign off the car to you, they do not do a overall exterior condition inspection with you. Instead, you load up and go.
Suggest you examine through yourself just in case of misunderstandings in the end.
When returning car, you line up in the parking lot, some guy will walk by and glance at gas level and off you go with a receipt.
Simple as that.

Theres obviously the insurance you gotta buy, in case of accodent or total loss but if your credit card covers it then no problems.
Posted via RS Mobile

Iceman-19 02-20-2014 01:55 PM

I actually found avis was the same price as the discount code, and had unlimited milage where as enterprise didnt.

highfive 02-20-2014 03:12 PM

I was stupid on the last trip and went with Payless. Yes they are the cheapest but they are not at the car rental centre near the airport. I actually have to take a shuttle that's 5 mins away.

Before you book anything, make sure they are at the centre. San Fran rush hour can be pretty bad.

bcrdukes 02-20-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8420727)
I actually found avis was the same price as the discount code, and had unlimited milage where as enterprise didnt.

Wow, that discount code used to be golden!

Underage fee waived and unlimited mileage!

Sorry, guys. I was under the impression it still worked as a Revscene member had used it maybe 6 months ago and reported to me (via PM) that it worked. :okay:

Iceman-19 02-20-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8420833)
Wow, that discount code used to be golden!

Underage fee waived and unlimited mileage!

Sorry, guys. I was under the impression it still worked as a Revscene member had used it maybe 6 months ago and reported to me (via PM) that it worked. :okay:

When I checked it only gave me 450 miles. Was going to rent a car to go to Boston but ended up taking my buddies SUV. Fuck it, car forum, Ill name drop. 2014 Land Rover. :concentrate:

Doubl3_H 02-21-2014 08:41 PM

Last time we were in san fran, we booked a rental online months ahead using Alamo plus a code that I found online thru flyertalks?

For a 7 day rental, we paid 290 taxes in and everything for a premium SUV(new ford explorer). We went straight to the garage, picked up the car and went, didn't need to talk to anyone at all.

So if you're in a hurry, I suggest you booked online and prepay.