REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Exchanging money (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692524-exchanging-money.html)

etodac 02-03-2014 06:52 PM

Exchanging money

Did a quick search and couldn't find a thread about this topic:

Where do you go to exchange money with better rates than the bank? From my memory, I think someone mentioned a place on Granville St. that offered good rates.

Santofu 02-03-2014 06:56 PM

Were you thinking of this place?
Foreign Currency Exchange Rates ? Vancouver Bullion & Currency Exchange

I always go there for exchange.

dyan 02-03-2014 07:16 PM

I personally use

Exchange Rates | KingmarkKingmark

Multiple locations. One on broadway, another in richmond and burnaby.

Hehe 02-03-2014 07:31 PM

Check if you have any friend who work for major banks, they can get staff rates that's within 1% of the mid-market rate on XE.com. I'd be impressed if any exchange house would come close to that.

urban.boi 02-04-2014 12:09 AM

If you have a HSBC Premier account, the rate is pretty good.
The Bulk of my exchange I stick with them

CRS 02-04-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santofu (Post 8410749)
Were you thinking of this place?
Foreign Currency Exchange Rates ? Vancouver Bullion & Currency Exchange

I always go there for exchange.

+1 best rates and better than most employee bank rates.

dutd33 02-08-2014 06:55 PM

If you're going to VBCE ask them for that VIP card or whatever it's called. It's free and you get 0.1% off the exchange rate.

HonestTea 02-09-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban.boi (Post 8410954)
If you have a HSBC Premier account, the rate is pretty good.
The Bulk of my exchange I stick with them

How much do you exchange each time? I wanted to exchange 5k and they told me the rate is the same regardless if I'm a Premier member or not..

Wtf
Posted via RS Mobile

urban.boi 02-09-2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 8414113)
How much do you exchange each time? I wanted to exchange 5k and they told me the rate is the same regardless if I'm a Premier member or not..

Wtf
Posted via RS Mobile

I'm not to sure about over the counter exchange with them, I usually exchange/transfer funds with Global View from HKD,CNY,TWD to USD, CDN or vice versa.

Around 15k - 20k each time

Frenchie 02-09-2014 11:56 PM

+1 for VBCE. You don't need to card to get the preferred rate. Just tell them you want it and they'll give it to you.

tiger_handheld 02-10-2014 08:34 AM

so far VBCE has the best rates from an online perspective. I've compared RBCE (1.13) , XE Trade (1.12), VBCE(1.11).

at retail level, there is a place on Granville and W.Broadway that had lower rates than VBCE.

wingies 02-10-2014 12:03 PM

Charlies Currency Exchange, Vancouver, BC

better than vbce rates, but not as many locations

HonestTea 02-10-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban.boi (Post 8414282)
I'm not to sure about over the counter exchange with them, I usually exchange/transfer funds with Global View from HKD,CNY,TWD to USD, CDN or vice versa.

Around 15k - 20k each time

Makes sense. When I exchange through Global View, the rate is significantly better. I guess that's our Premier rate and doesn't really apply to over the counter exchanges.

DaFonz 02-11-2014 07:25 AM

Depends on the currency you're trading. For CAD/USD, this place has the tightest spreads I've ever seen:

Live Currency Rates - Everforex - Foreign Currency Exchange|Online Currency Trading|FX Rates and Charts|Vancouver Richmond Burnaby Surrey

If you have a Chase Visa, the exchange rate is pretty close to spot as well so I'll use that as much as possible travelling.

tiger_handheld 02-11-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFonz (Post 8414991)
Depends on the currency you're trading. For CAD/USD, this place has the tightest spreads I've ever seen:

Live Currency Rates - Everforex - Foreign Currency Exchange|Online Currency Trading|FX Rates and Charts|Vancouver Richmond Burnaby Surrey

If you have a Chase Visa, the exchange rate is pretty close to spot as well so I'll use that as much as possible travelling.

Have you used them?

Mr.HappySilp 04-02-2014 10:55 AM

Going back to HK/China in Sept wondering what's a good place to exhange HK dollars and RMB(China dollar).

I talk to a few friends and they all said getting RMB(China dollar) in cash the rate is not good and it is best just to transfer the money to a bank account in China(which I don't have). Any suggestions?

knight604 04-02-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFonz (Post 8414991)

What's their fee

FB6 04-02-2014 02:33 PM

If you have the TD All Inclusive account and USD chequing account, you get a better rate then their normal rate.