REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   need to 'cut' - cardio vs strength training (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692597-need-cut-cardio-vs-strength-training.html)

Acura604 02-06-2014 07:18 AM

need to 'cut' - cardio vs strength training

folks.. need to go down by about 10lbs. started a 6 day/week cardio routine at my gym Jan 23. 30-45mins of treadmill comprised of 30mins walking at 3.5mph and 10-15mins of light jog at 5.0mph.

also.. begun a 'calorie deficit' program using an iphone app - myfitnesspal.

and am trying to limit to 1600 calories per day which so far is working.

so... after almost 2 weeks, I've lost about 1.5lbs... I'm wondering if I can lose it quicker switching to weights and reducing the cardio to 20mins walking at 3.5.

Recon604 02-06-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8412270)
folks.. need to go down by about 10lbs. started a 6 day/week cardio routine at my gym Jan 23. 30-45mins of treadmill comprised of 30mins walking at 3.5mph and 10-15mins of light jog at 5.0mph.

so... after almost 2 weeks, I've lost about 1.5lbs... I'm wondering if I can lose it quicker switching to weights and reducing the cardio to 20mins walking at 3.5.

walking at 3.5 for 20 mins, not going to make u lose weight fast at all. Start running at like 6 for 20 mins.

320icar 02-06-2014 07:41 AM

Wait wait wait

- what are your current height, weight, physical condition stats
- are these permanent keep off pounds or just quick pre-wedding lbs
- are you going from a size 40 to 34? Or trying to 'cut' before a competition
- walking will burn fat if you weigh 350lbs lol
- walking is not considered cardio if it doesn't get you out of breathe
- if you intend to keep this weight off for good, healthy fat loss is at the speed if 1lbs to 1.5lbs a week. That is great progress. Anything more than that will be immediate "junk food weight" or also water weight
Posted via RS Mobile

Acura604 02-06-2014 07:43 AM

additional details.

height: 5' 7

weight: 170 ( at beginning of exercise routine )

*its my gut.. I gotta reduce the damn gut!

I started a similar program last summer but spent less time on cardio and
more on weights. I lost 8 lbs over 2-3 months BUT then got hit with a
gout attack and that screwed me up for the remainder of 2013. just trying to get back into it but at a pace I can deal with. and yes, I want to keep it off permanently .. I've adjusted my diet and allow maybe 1 cheat day a week...no pop, maybe 1 beer every 2 weeks, no sweets, but its still not a perfect diet.

320icar 02-06-2014 07:46 AM

[ARTICLE & PHOTO] Man Loses 25 Lbs. in 24 Hours ? Then Gains It All Back in Next 24 Hours | Patrol Log
Posted via RS Mobile

evlee 02-06-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8412276)

:suspicious:

sonick 02-06-2014 08:10 AM

Semi not related as this is related to fat cutting not weight loss, Re: Walking vs Running, technically if one is trying to lose fat (i.e. cut), lower intensity steady state training (light jog/speed walking) is better for fat loss and muscle maintenance vs. higher intensity workouts like running.

If you are looking to strengthen your cardio, then running and HIIT is more effective.

For OP, if you do add strength training it should be higher intensity whole body movements (squats, cleans, etc.), vs simply curls and bench press. Regardless, your diet is probably going to be the main factor in this goal, supplemented by whatever exercise you choose to do.

aalex 02-06-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

I m in the same boat as you but I started a month earlier than you
I did Elliptical, bike, also light weight training (mostly lower body ab, lower back, legs) and some squats.
I've lost around 7lb (drop from 157-150)in a month

diet for weight losing is important. and i believe most supplements have its own side effects

remember workout progressively. don't workout too much if you haven't workout for awhile

also stay hydrate during cardio and weight training.

RRxtar 02-06-2014 03:00 PM

Do something against conventional wisdom.

When I do a cut, I skip the cardio, and go straight to the weights. And do high intensity high volume compound lift training. And then in the kitchen I cut out all extra sugar, junk food, pop, juice, and most grains/breads for 6 days a week and cheat 1 day a week. And drink a ton of water. I usually knock off 15lbs of nearly all fat in 6 weeks that way.

Plus with doing weights you get the added benefit of actually building some muscle endurance.

If I ever do any cardio, which is like, never, it is HIIT cardio so I can build up more endurance to lift at a higher intensity.

instantneedles 02-06-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

good on you for making the lifestyle change.. it can be a very difficult thing to do.

The body is very smart and flexible - it needs to be constantly challenged to adapt to the stress from exercise.

What is the most efficient way to take on a goal? The same way as anything else. Tackle it from different sides and angles. Doing cardio is good. But if doing cardio is the only method you are taking on to achieve your goal of weight loss, it will become that much harder. Your metabolism will eventually reset to it's previous incompetence with metabolizing fat.

This is why running is a GOOD way to start losing weight, but may NOT be the BEST way. It gets people off the couch and start moving/exercising. Once you have gotten into the habit of getting off that couch and getting active, there are far better ways to make efficient use of your time.

Take up a sport that utilizes all the muscles/different types of muscles in your body. Running primarily utilizes the lower body, so you are neglecting muscles that create movements in different planes of your body. I don't care what people say about running on a treadmill being a full body exercise, because it's fucking NOT. swinging your arms while you run is not an upper body exercise.

Here are a few sports/activities that will challenge your body to move in different planes of movement, and tap into different aspects of your metabolic systems: Football, basketball, martial arts, dance, wrestling, etc etc and the list goes on.

Most importantly though, is that you be patient with your exercise and do not use the # of lbs you lose as a measuring stick. Within the short time frame of a few months, weight fluctuates just like the stock market - you lose some you gain some.Try not to focus on it too much on such short duration. Think big, and think long-term. One of the main things exercise does for you, is its ability to improve your quality of life.. Day by day it will make you feel healthier and stronger in several domains. Focus on that instead, and you'll feel more consistent with the benefits you get from exercise. Trust me, a year down the road and you've attained the weightloss goals you set for youself.... those 20-30lbs your lose will be nothing more than blank numbers.

Give yourself a year, and if you stay consistent with exercise I'll guarantee you you'll get into the best shape of your life.

Purely 02-06-2014 05:12 PM

Valour 02-06-2014 06:20 PM

I recently lost 45 lbs. 270-225. Diet is 70-80 % the key! I run 5 times a week 30 min a day 7.5 min/km which is slow ass monkey balls. Weights three times a week. each lift including a very heavy set. Cheat epicly Friday night to Saturday night.

Typical meal:
Wake up glass water and coffee with cream n sweet n low
Poo
Run
Scrambled eggs, spinach in coconut oil. Ounce Gouda cheese
8 glasses water through day
Dinner: spinach/kale/broccoli/wakame or salad with a protein usually chicken or beef cooked with coconut oil
Snacks once a day: one ounce cheese rolled up in deli turkey slice or roast beef slice or one fruit

Caveats: keto diet and intermittent fasting 16/8
Posted via RS Mobile

Acura604 02-20-2014 07:17 AM

update.

started this program jan 23 at approx. 171 lbs.

Feb 20: 165.4 lbs.

switched to cycling on the stationary bike for 25mins at fairly high intensity and 'hill' mode. restricting myself to 1600 calories per day.

so far so good.

dealt 02-20-2014 01:08 PM

This.

roughmandamn 03-09-2014 04:19 PM

limit your cardio, increase your weight lifting. lifting weights burns more calories than cardio. Building muscle will also help your burn more calories in a day and get you a better physique once you've dropped some pounds. they key is the lose body fat and gain lean muscle, the scale doesnt mean much if you dont look the part. you can lose 10 lbs and still look unhealthy as opposed to losing 10 lbs and gaining 5lbs of muscle and looking in good shape(just an example) Your calories at 1600 is far too low for a person of you're weight and height. 2000 should be good. make sure you also count your macro nutrients. protiens/carbs/fat. check out IIFYM ? If It Fits Your Macros for more information on that matter.

Acura604 03-14-2014 08:39 AM

thanks for all the input...

so far... been following the same schedule of 'walking for 45mins at 3.5'... but yah, will start up weights next week and drop the cardio. still watching the calories however.

date: March 14 2014

current status: 162.4lbs

roughmandamn 04-04-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8435673)
thanks for all the input...

so far... been following the same schedule of 'walking for 45mins at 3.5'... but yah, will start up weights next week and drop the cardio. still watching the calories however.

date: March 14 2014

current status: 162.4lbs

In my honest opinion 45mins of walking at 3.5 will only burn you some calories but if you devout that 45 hours to lifting weights and building muscle. you'll burn not only calories during the exercise but after the workout. Lifting weights is like a investment in calorie burning. you may not notice the benefits in the beginning but in the long run you will. You'll also improve your leanbody mass which will drop your body fat%. Cardio will only burn calories and drop body%. but if you drop body fat without any muscle definition you'll have that very skinny/fat appearance.

I wrote up a little blog about cardio and weight lifting. take a read if you got time:

Ladies Fitness - Don't Spend Hours Doing Cardio - LB Lifestyle

i know its directed towards women but men can use this information as well, it's because women are more prone to hours of cardio than men.

I'm also cutting weight right now too. Eating 2100 calories. lifting 4 days a week and playing hockey twice. Im currently at 147lbs at 15%bf, trying to get down to 140lb at 10%bf (my last years summer weight, i recently did a bulk so i wanna see how much LBM i gained)