REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   2016 Toyota Tundra 5.0L Cummings...YES! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692749-2016-toyota-tundra-5-0l-cummings-yes.html)

Tegra_Devil 02-12-2014 08:34 AM

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.0L Cummings...YES!
 
Let the import domination of the truck world begin....welcome your new overlords :devil:



2016 Toyota Tundra to Share its 5.0L Cummins Diesel With the Next Nissan Titan [REPORT]

Quote:


Diesel fans will soon have a lot of choices in the pickup segment with almost every automaker confirming plans to introduce new diesel engines in their pickups. We can now add Toyota to that list, since it's being reported that the 2016 Toyota Tundra is going to be offered with the same 5.0L Cummins diesel as the next-generation Nissan Titan.

According to the latest report, Toyota is going to offer the same 5.0L Cummins diesel as the Nissan Titan, which may actually be a test. Prior to the market collapse in 2008 Toyota was actually working on its own diesel engine, but when the market fell apart, Toyota shelved the plans. If the Cummins diesel does well in the 2016 Tundra, Toyota could build its own diesel engine for the Tundra.

It's not known if the 5.0L Cummins diesel will generate the same specs as the it will under the hood of the next Titan, but Nissan has confirmed that it will have at least 300 horsepower and 500 lb-ft. of torque. The next Titan is expected to arrive next year. Nissan is also looking at the possibility of offering a diesel engine in the next Frontier and Ford is also reportedly working on a new V6 diesel engine for the F-150.



Geoc 02-12-2014 08:50 AM

RIP Dodge

white rocket 02-12-2014 08:55 AM

Excellent news!! Can't say I'm a fan of the new Tundra styling though. The Dodge Ram should have a diesel offering next year albeit it's more for fuel economy and not to compete with the common diesel pushers.

Tegra_Devil 02-12-2014 09:24 AM

the new tundra styling is starting to rub me the right way....similar with how subarus changes in the sti from 2004-2008....it took me a few months to get used to each change...but i am definately coming around

z3german 02-12-2014 09:27 AM

Sweet truck! Id rock it

Gucci Mane 02-12-2014 10:13 AM

Cummins*

cant stand when people say cummings.

noclue 02-12-2014 10:13 AM

I thought cummins were famous for their inline 6 engines. Not sure how a new 5L V8 Cummins in a half-ton will do to their reliability.

ScratchedMy991 02-12-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 8415614)
Let the import domination of the truck world begin....welcome your new overlords :devil:

This thing will be designed, engineered and built in the good ol' US of A - about as "import" as a Budweiser in a Granville Street brawl.

Gucci Mane 02-12-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noclue (Post 8415651)
I thought cummins were famous for their inline 6 engines. Not sure how a new 5L V8 Cummins in a half-ton will do to their reliability.

yeah all the ram's up till now have had an inline 6 motor. this sounds like a completely new motor??

also fords working on a v6 diesel? crap. might have to replace my f150 when thats out.

TjAlmeida 02-12-2014 10:20 AM

Would rather have their 4 cylinder diesel then the 5.0 that's in the new Nissan Titan and now Tundra..
Posted via RS Mobile

xpl0sive 02-12-2014 10:41 AM

finally they are putting diesels in half tons. when I saw that Ram 1500 had a diesel option I knew everyone else would follow. I don't see why they need a 5.0L diesel though. Isn't the whole point of a diesel to save fuel? They could achieve the same 300 horsepower and 500 lb-ft. of torque with an inline 6 turbo diesel

Iceman-19 02-12-2014 10:56 AM

Still a fucking ugly truck with a playmobil interior.

BBMme 02-12-2014 10:59 AM

I think it will sell well
Posted via RS Mobile

Groot 02-12-2014 11:23 AM

I'm cumming...:troll:

originalhypa 02-12-2014 11:43 AM

I like that Nissan is going to be the guinea pig for this project. By the time 2015 rolls around and this hits the market, it should be rock solid. The perfect replacement for my 2010 Tundra.

white rocket 02-12-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil (Post 8415630)
similar with how subarus changes in the sti from 2004-2008....it took me a few months to get used to each change...but i am definately coming around

<-----'07 GD STi owner and I still dislike the GR generation :devil:

dared3vil0 02-12-2014 12:05 PM

:megusta:

MarkyMark 02-12-2014 12:18 PM

They need to do something with that front end, small headlights and a big grill doesn't look right
Posted via RS Mobile

duc_evo_sp 02-12-2014 12:40 PM

Can anyone explain why a cumming is so great?

RRxtar 02-12-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 8415665)
finally they are putting diesels in half tons. when I saw that Ram 1500 had a diesel option I knew everyone else would follow. I don't see why they need a 5.0L diesel though. Isn't the whole point of a diesel to save fuel? They could achieve the same 300 horsepower and 500 lb-ft. of torque with an inline 6 turbo diesel

I actually *think* Nissan started the project first.

The difference between the Nissan/Toyota diesel and the Dodge diesel is the Nissan one was designed to be a truck motor from the beginning.

Fiat-Dodge purchased the rights to the company called VM Motori, which designed the engine in 2004, when GM went under in 08. GM was going to put in euro-only cars back in 2009. So it may be a good motor, but it is still a generation old design, that was intended to go into cars, not trucks.

godwin 02-12-2014 01:04 PM

Actually Diamler sold VM to GM then GM to Fiat.. however VM engines have been in use with Jeep and Mercedes products since 05 eg Liberty etc.

VM also bought out Detroit Diesel before hand.

The difference on road and off road qualification is basically the inclusion of SCR. For cars because it has lighter GWVR, you don't need SCR.

The basics of a diesel engine hasn't changed much the last 10 years (except for the SCR). The new tech like SCR are tailored for emissions like Euro 5 and Euro 6. The cost is always getting it qualified because it is a different drivetrain counts as a seperate model, so assuming it has small uptake, it cost a heck of a lot for manufacturers.

If you are that worried about reliability, let the keeners buy the latest and greatest and buy the truck after their mid life update for better reliability.

As for why Cummins, how about because they always loose in class action lawsuits?? Their run with Dodge ended with cracked block etc. (that's why they got booted in the first place). Honestly I rather not have Cummins in my truck.

Engine sharing is not that uncommon, heck even Ford and GM shares truck transmissions. Not to mention the upcoming Infiniti and Mercedes.

In terms of technology, I rather have an aluminum F150 + diesel over any of these steel bodies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8415725)
I actually *think* Nissan started the project first.

The difference between the Nissan/Toyota diesel and the Dodge diesel is the Nissan one was designed to be a truck motor from the beginning.

Fiat-Dodge purchased the rights to the company called VM Motori, which designed the engine in 2004, when GM went under in 08. GM was going to put in euro-only cars back in 2009. So it may be a good motor, but it is still a generation old design, that was intended to go into cars, not trucks.



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net