REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   input/opinion needed...engine rebuild or swap out. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693169-input-opinion-needed-engine-rebuild-swap-out.html)

MindBomber 03-05-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supra-Kid (Post 8429238)
This isn't a theory, I rebuilt my 7MGE ground up with a $250 mechanics set and their rental tools in my driveway. 100,000 km later it runs great. Also have a b-16 swap and a ground up SBC 400 under my belt and I learned everything by reading and trying stuff out.

Regards,

You Average Joe
Posted via RS Mobile

Not everyone has an equal degree of mechanical aptitude.

The average person could very easily end up in over their head with a half-disassembled engine.

jepho 03-05-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8429277)
If he's asking, he either doesn't know, doesn't want to risk it, doesn't have the time or doesn't have the space to do it.

Maybe he has more money than time and wants a shop to be responsible for any screw-ups.

I have the skill, know how and most necessary tools (have already rebuild the transmission in my garage last year) but I don't have the time to start it and complete it in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm just getting the current motor rebuilt, I feel more at ease knowing the history of the motor. And like I said before, by the end of the year I'll be car shopping anyways. I just want to get the work done and not have to deal with part sourcing etc.

spoon.ek9 03-05-2014 05:36 PM

I wouldn't waste money rebuilding a D16Y8 if it's going to stay stock.

A lot of good points have already been made:

1. the car is worth less than the rebuild cost
2. a better engine will cost only a bit more than a rebuild (B16A, B18B).
3. only worth doing anything if you plan on keeping the car

Keep in mind, option 2 is going to require a lot of parts gathering (if you want to save money overall) or spend substantially more on new parts via a shop.

T4RAWR 03-05-2014 06:14 PM

k20 header k24 block.

:fullofwin:

Phil@rise 03-07-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supra-Kid (Post 8429238)
This isn't a theory, I rebuilt my 7MGE ground up with a $250 mechanics set and their rental tools in my driveway. 100,000 km later it runs great. Also have a b-16 swap and a ground up SBC 400 under my belt and I learned everything by reading and trying stuff out.

Regards,

Your Average Joe
Posted via RS Mobile

Dear Average Joe.

Do you want a medal? I think you earned one and dont call yourself average any longer you have also earned the new title of Above Average Joe!

hk20000 03-08-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8431028)
Dear Average Joe.

Do you want a medal? I think you earned one and dont call yourself average any longer you have also earned the new title of Above Average Joe!

Bronze achievement: no longer average.:suspicious:

AVNGinger 03-09-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 8431028)
Dear Average Joe.

No medal required, just sick of hearing people who got taken to the cleaners by mechanic shops
Posted via RS Mobile

Phil@rise 03-10-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk20000 (Post 8431538)
Bronze achievement: no longer average.:suspicious:

No the bars been raised lol

Spectre_Cdn 03-10-2014 07:17 PM

totaled EM1 for $1750 -- at least you don't need to source parts for the B-swap
Totaled 2000 Honda Civic SiR - as unit

seekerbeta 03-11-2014 08:22 AM

If this were me, I would take it to a good shop (Psst. we have sponsors on the Forum that can do it) and get the poor thing rebuilt, I have the tools and the ability to do rings, basic hone, and timing. but I feel these days that my time is worth more working on my 68 Firebird or my 74 Vega than puttering on my daily driver. too many finicky things that can go wrong, especially if you start tearing the block down and find a spun bearing or worn cam lobes. if you rebuild it and you get another 150,000 - 300,000$ then its worth it, especially if the car owes you nothing (ie paid off) and you can get a whole lot more DD time out of it