REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   How Long Can a Car Be Left Unattended on Residential Street Without Moving? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693646-how-long-can-car-left-unattended-residential-street-without-moving.html)

wingies 03-18-2014 11:22 AM

How Long Can a Car Be Left Unattended on Residential Street Without Moving?

Theres a car right outside my apartment complex (richmond) that hasnt been moved in at least a week or two. Just wondering if there is a law that dictates how long a car can be left parked unattended?

lowside67 03-18-2014 11:44 AM

You need to read the city of Richmond bylaws, but I suspect that it will state that there is no restriction if they are a resident of that block. If not, probably 3 hours if signs do not say otherwise, but it will be city dependant.

snails 03-18-2014 11:47 AM

you can report it to the police as suspicious, they may come check it out and see if its stolen or something.

had this happen with an rv down the road by our dealership.. turned out there was a dead guy in it.

asides that as long as its got insurance i dont think there is legally anything wrong with it

Spidey 03-18-2014 12:39 PM

those are the best calls.... suspicious vehicles because they are not recognized being from the area........ ... but yes, it is a bylaw issue. If it is on private property like a condo parking lot, it would be enforced by strata.

320icar 03-18-2014 12:49 PM

Usually as long as the vehicle is registered and insured and there are no posted restrictions, i would assume indefinite.
Posted via RS Mobile

Gh0stRider 03-18-2014 01:07 PM

all wrong lol.
48 hours. Report it to city bylaws dept. If it is parked on the street, it can only left there for 48 hours.

Quote:

12.4 No person shall park a vehicle: (d) at any one place on any street for a period longer than 48 consecutive
hours

snails 03-18-2014 01:12 PM

so.. someone that street parks in a residential area and goes away for the weekend gets their car ticketed or towed ? that dosnt sound right

lowside67 03-18-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 8439199)
all wrong lol.
48 hours. Report it to city bylaws dept. If it is parked on the street, it can only left there for 48 hours.

I dont have time to read the bylaws to prove a point, but I would HIGHLY expect that there is an exemption for residents that live on that block.

wingies 03-18-2014 01:34 PM

I believe ghostrider may be correct.

I wouldnt know how to describe the area in particular, because a residential area I believe is all occupied by home with yards and such. To give more background information about the area, the entire street is mainly all apartment buildings, and/or townhouse complex. IIRC in richmond, they do not have the resident exemption as they do in vancouver. The ones that says "you may park here if you reside in the 8000 block area of this street"

Spidey 03-18-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 8439208)
I dont have time to read the bylaws to prove a point, but I would HIGHLY expect that there is an exemption for residents that live on that block.

I just read it and from what I could see there was no exemption. Mind you, what kind of asshole neighbour would call the bylaws on your for doing that. With that said, even if they contacted bylaws... the officer could only start counting 48 hours from the time the complaint was made or he /she saw the vehicle parked at the location. The officer also has to prove it never left the spot during the 48 hours.

OP... don't be an asshole neighbour... but if you are concerned for whatever reason that it may be stolen etc... then call it in.

Gh0stRider 03-18-2014 01:54 PM

It is mostly complaint based, so bylaw officers don't go looking for it proactively. If someone complains, then officers would go investigate.

rriggi 03-18-2014 05:02 PM

I had someone drive up from the US with a leased Lexus they hadn't paid for and ended up running back to Morocco.

I didn't want it on my property nor was I going to go out of my way to deliver a vehicle back to the US. I left it outside on the street and 3 weeks later I got a removal notice from the city, and then got towed away.

Depends on city bylaws I guess..

kkthind 03-18-2014 06:04 PM

Someone parked a car in front of my house about a month ago. It was there for weeks, we phoned the city and they posted a ticket on it to move the car, and that ticket was still there on that car for another week, and after, called again, had the car towed away and from what my neighbours told me was that the car was allegedly stolen
Posted via RS Mobile

underscore 03-27-2014 10:52 AM

^ if it was stolen I don't think they would just give it a ticket.

racerman88 03-30-2014 10:43 AM

Best thing to do is just call non-emergency number.
If it is stolen, VPD will deal with it.
If it is not stolen they will let you know and then you can call the city Bylaw department.
If it is not causing a problem, you can just leave it. But if it does bother you, just do the above.

Spidey 03-30-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 8446540)
Best thing to do is just call non-emergency number.
If it is stolen, VPD will deal with it.
If it is not stolen they will let you know and then you can call the city Bylaw department.
If it is not causing a problem, you can just leave it. But if it does bother you, just do the above.

Richmond = RCMP