REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Iran 'copying' a US aircraft carrier...but for what purpose? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/693742-iran-copying-us-aircraft-carrier-but-what-purpose.html)

Acura604 03-21-2014 06:56 PM

Iran 'copying' a US aircraft carrier...but for what purpose?

really weird...target practice? fake a US attack on someone? movie shoot? propaganda of sorts?

Why is Iran building giant mock-up of U.S. aircraft carrier? ? CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/ass...-story-top.png

Why is Iran building giant mock-up of U.S. aircraft carrier?

By Laura Koran

Amid ongoing high-level diplomatic talks between the United States and Iran, it's a symbol of underlying mistrust.

Commercial satellite images obtained by CNN reveal that Iran is constructing a large-scale replica of a U.S. military aircraft carrier, complete with fake U.S-style airplanes, near the southern port city of Bandar Abbas.

The mock supercarrier seems to have been modeled off of an American Nimitz-class (CVN 68) carrier, down to the number "68" painted on the flight deck, though its intended use remains a mystery.

According to one U.S. official, the mock-up is more akin to a Hollywood set than an actual warship.

The U.S. government does not believe the carrier is functional, or that Iran is even capable of building an aircraft carrier.

The same official told CNN's Barbara Starr that while the purpose of the fake carrier is unknown, Iran may be planning to destroy it in a propaganda move. The Iranian government has blown up target barges in the past and aired the footage on its state-run media.

"If this is all for strategic effect," noted the official, "then with all eyes on the construction that seems to fizzle."

Nimitz-class carriers are the centerpiece of U.S. naval forces, and the largest warships in the world. Few countries have nuclear-powered carriers in their fleets.

The revelation that Iran is constructing this mock carrier comes at a potentially pivotal moment in U.S.-Iranian relations.

Back in November, negotiations between Iran and a coalition of countries that includes the United States brought about an interim agreement over Iran's nuclear program. Iran agreed to roll back parts of the program in exchange for an end to certain economic sanctions.

Negotiations on a larger deal are ongoing.

On Thursday, in a message to the Iranian people to commemorate the Persian new year, President Barack Obama said he is "committed to diplomacy" with their country.

But amid the softened rhetoric, there is lingering mistrust in both countries.

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told the American Jewish Congress in New York on Wednesday that she is "personally skeptical that the Iranians would follow through and deliver" on the November deal.

And in January, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif told CNN's Jim Sciutto that the Obama administration has been mischaracterizing the terms of the agreement.

For now, the outcome of these diplomatic efforts and the fate of the fake aircraft carrier remain uncertain.

FishTaco 03-21-2014 07:00 PM

So the US is afraid that Iran is capable of creating nuclear weapons but doubt their ability to build an aircraft carrier?

mac25 03-21-2014 07:31 PM

Do they know for sure that it is a mockup and not a fully capable carrier. It would make sense to copy a design that works.

MG1 03-21-2014 07:37 PM

With the number CVN-68?

Should have copied the CVN-80, the new Enterprise.

Iran going Chinese?

StylinRed 03-21-2014 08:32 PM

So what?

meme405 03-21-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acura604 (Post 8441611)
or that Iran is even capable of building an aircraft carrier.

Haha idiots. If only they knew...

INB4 CIA & FBI at my door.

Graeme S 03-21-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meme405 (Post 8441727)
Haha idiots. If only they knew...

INB4 CIA & FBI at my door.

Partyvan time!

boostfever 03-21-2014 11:39 PM

Couldn't find the carrier on Google earth, maybe didn't look hard enough.

I've been to the city Bandar Abbas before. :pokerface:

Expresso 03-21-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostfever (Post 8441755)
I've been to the city Bandar Abbas before. :pokerface:

Terrorist!

CharlesInCharge 03-22-2014 12:02 AM

Did they have to release the low resolution picture so that this supposed fake aircraft carrier's details are kept secret... because I cant make out the numbering that it copied.
I suspect CNN is more desperate for ratings then anything else.

boostfever 03-22-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiSix (Post 8441757)
Terrorist!

That's definitely the first time I'm hearing that.

:ilied:

FishTaco 03-22-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8441762)
I suspect CNN is more desperate for ratings then anything else.

What happened to CNN? They were a really good news source but they have gone to shit over the past 5 years I have noticed. Most of the time they have spelling errors right in the bloody headlines... Or you click on a story that has a picture you want to see and it links you to some old news shit, same with videos. I have also noticed that they run stories that are not even verified or blogs from a 3rd party that are complete and utter bullshit. Then turn on the TV when other news channels like BBC have breaking news and CNN is talking about sports or someone is complaining about Obamacare lol.

At least they didn't interrupt a story like MSNBC did to give us that "BREAKING NEWS" of Biebs getting a DUI though lol.

CharlesInCharge 03-22-2014 01:29 AM

Haha, I dont watch any of the mainstream news but I see reports of their low ratings
_youtube.com/watch?v=Ep51ZtEM63Q

Anyway heres the Iranian space money as a part of Iran's achievements.
There's a long video of it going into space and back down too.

rsx 03-22-2014 03:05 AM

April Fools is coming up, just sayin'

CP.AR 03-22-2014 09:16 PM

I'm guessing it may be for a movie? Or a floating hotel of sorts?
Posted via RS Mobile

Gucci Mane 03-22-2014 09:18 PM

just watched world war z..

THEY KNOW.

ApePee2 03-23-2014 05:51 PM

^They dont know.....

. It was in Jerusalem/Israel not iran :concentrate:

belka 03-23-2014 08:34 PM

Still looks more legit than their Qaher 313 "stealth fighter"....

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1920x1280/o_r/q133.jpg

http://malaysiaflyingherald.files.wo...eryv9-grye.jpg

At least Canada built one that flew...

shawnly1000 03-23-2014 08:37 PM

Iran says replica US aircraft carrier is really a movie prop | World news | theguardian.com

underscore 03-24-2014 01:10 PM

So it sounds like they may not be planning to destroy it, but they will be using it for a propaganda movie shot as a regular movie?

Why wouldn't they just use a model?

StylinRed 03-24-2014 01:12 PM

why does it matter what a director decides to do with his movies budget?