REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Where to buy a suit for grad? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/694596-where-buy-suit-grad.html)

NGExhiles 04-20-2014 04:02 PM

Where to buy a suit for grad?

Hi everyone, I am currently looking around for a suit for grad/prom and I don't know where to look. Any advices?

My price range is around $300-$600 and I'm not looking for brand name luxurious suits obviously due to price range and occasion. Just something that will look nice and is hopefully made with good quality material (or as good as good gets with my price range).

kross9 04-20-2014 04:05 PM

For to Moores, rent it. its like 200-300 no point buying it if your only 18 you'll grow out of it!

PLUJ 04-20-2014 04:14 PM

You can buy a suit at Moores for the price range you're looking at, especially when they have their deals going on. Moores quality is alright, dosen't really matter though since you probs won't wear it much after grad/prom.

ilvtofu 04-20-2014 04:20 PM

I got my grad suit at Zara ~$300, I've gotten fat since I graduated and it doesn't fit anymore but the price was pretty fair I have to say

ProBoostin 04-20-2014 04:23 PM

Moores 2 for 1 and split with a buddy. Could get 2 suits that are $1000 each and each pay 500 for them. If the sale is on that is.

Euro7r 04-20-2014 05:56 PM

Got mines at Moore for highschool. Only wore it once, I think I paid like $150 back then lol.

GGnoRE 04-20-2014 06:37 PM

At that price range, I would just rent. No point in buying a cheap suit really. Waste of money imo.

Save up a little more or borrow from parents and pay them back later to invest in a decent suit that you can keep for years. That's what I did long time ago, and I've had that suit make me shine for many special occasions (university graduation, weddings, job interviews etc...), not to mention I was one of the rare student to wear a suit that was actually well-fitted to my body at prom.

StylinRed 04-20-2014 06:47 PM

online clearance sites, you can find really nice suits on deep discounts in your price range, for instance http://www.lastcall.com/His/Apparel/...at000002/c.cat (recommend Hickey Freeman) and if you want put in a little extra to get it tailored once you get it and you're set
or regular priced online sites, do a search in here you'll find a lot of sites

NGExhiles 04-20-2014 07:38 PM

@GGnoRE, at what price range would you invest in a suit? I don't mind extending my price range and getting a nicer suit that is versatile which I can use in the future like the occasions you have listed.

Whatever suit I buy, I will get it tailored, is there any places you guys recommend? I've searched through the forum and saw Oakridge Tailors as being one of the best. If there are other places let me know, thank you.

FOREVER 04-20-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kross9 (Post 8458800)
For to Moores, rent it. its like 200-300 no point buying it if your only 18 you'll grow out of it!

+1

Had to buy another one 2 years after grad LOL:QQ:

Euro7r 04-20-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGnoRE (Post 8458866)
At that price range, I would just rent. No point in buying a cheap suit really. Waste of money imo.

Save up a little more or borrow from parents and pay them back later to invest in a decent suit that you can keep for years. That's what I did long time ago, and I've had that suit make me shine for many special occasions (university graduation, weddings, job interviews etc...), not to mention I was one of the rare student to wear a suit that was actually well-fitted to my body at prom.

Assuming if your size doesn't change, it'll be worth to invest in a proper tailored suit. If you end up growing bigger, it'll be a waste of money lol.

XplicitLuder 04-20-2014 11:53 PM

a suit to rent will run you like 150-200. so if you know you wont use it much after..id say rent. thats what i did and i used moores

Hot Karl 04-21-2014 08:27 AM

you are 18. chances are your body will change within a few years. just rent. it's grad not your wedding. it seems like a big deal now, but it really isn't.

Speed2K 04-21-2014 11:13 AM

I agree with others, unless you find a kick ass deal on a suit, I would rent one. I also only wore mine once b/c it didn't fit soon after my graduation.

Spoon 04-21-2014 12:10 PM

Didn't take the whole thing too seriously. Just went in a sport coat, pants and a tie for comfort sake.

But if it's a coin flip between rent or buy, I'd rent unless you see yourself using it in the next two years.

Klondike 04-21-2014 03:19 PM

In my case I wasn't growing anymore so I bought a suit but you're probably better off renting one.

Funny story, I got a massive paper cut at prom and got blood all over my suit and dress shirt. :(

Phuck Yu 04-21-2014 05:52 PM

its highschool so i suggest you buy it from h&m

NGExhiles 04-21-2014 07:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I went and compared the prices between buying and renting. In conclusion, Moore's did have their buy 1 get 1 free sale and a buddy of mine decided he would like to split it with me. So I ended buying a suit that wasn't too expensive because it ended up to be the same price as renting it.

GLOW 04-22-2014 12:22 PM

i was going to say moores has a sale now until april 27 where suits start at $169.99 along with B1G1

skiiipi 04-24-2014 06:48 AM

Go to Nordstrom rack, get a Hugo by Hugo Boss suit for $400 ish and spend $100 getting it tailored.

Similar suit will cost you $800-900 at Rosen
Posted via RS Mobile

lowside67 04-24-2014 07:36 AM

+1. I am actually wearing one of mine today.

If you were talking about a tux, I'd say for sure rent it, how often will you need one, but to pay $150+ to rent a suit when you don't own one is ridiculous - you WILL need one. Interviews, upscale events, you name it.

It's worth saying that even though you are going to have it tailored (Yes, you NEED to have it tailored), spend a bunch of time, and try a ton of suits on from different manufacturers. They are cut very differently and the final product after tailoring will look best if it took the least alterations to get it there.

Nordstrom's Rack in Seattle is good advice though, I buy all my suits there and typically pay $250 for a CK - $400ish for a HB.

Mark