REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #76
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Lawyers win at the end.

Will all the sponsors come back to LAC then?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #77
I don't get it

I can't see how the NBA can fine him 2.5 million for his personal opinions. Sounds like a cash grab.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #78
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Kudos to commissioner Silver bringing the hammer down on Sterling.

Nobody, even a billionaire, should be excused for saying those hurtful words about African Americans or any visible minority.

C'mon Aquilini, buy the Clippers and move them to Vancouver. Lowball Sterling!
Bring back the NBA to our city!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #79
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
For someone so rich and smart in that sense.. Really? You don't want black ppl to come to your games? Specially when this sport is quite dominant with African-Americans makes no sense lol you're in the wrong sport then..
Posted via RS Mobile
Another person who obviously did not listen to the audio clip. He's not telling black people not to attend his games; he doesn't want his girlfriend posting photos of herself on instagram with black guys or bringing them to the game with her.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #80
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Not that I don't agree with the ban, but on what grounds can they fine someone 2.5M for their personal opinion?

There must be a clause in the NBA Owners contract that addresses this?
Also, in another thread, we just covered that private conversations in the states can't be recorded (or at least are inadmissible in court)..
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #81
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
i honestly think that the man just chose the wrong words at that time. if he had said something along the lines of "dont bring your fucking hood rat friends to my basketball games" this whole situation wouldn't have blown up in his face. i dont know about you guys, but if i was a billionare i sure as fuck would not want to hang around hood rats either..
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #82
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
the general masses.. the public, just want to throw tomatoes at someone.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #83
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Not that I don't agree with the ban, but on what grounds can they fine someone 2.5M for their personal opinion?

There must be a clause in the NBA Owners contract that addresses this?
Also, in another thread, we just covered that private conversations in the states can't be recorded (or at least are inadmissible in court)..
Owners are Liable for their actions to all other owners and the NBA. You are acting as an agent of the other owners and a representative of the league.

The actions of Sterling could directly affect other owners and the leagues reputation. So you are damn right they will drop the hammer on his ass or anyone else if they start saying stupid shit that could hurt ratings or drop attendance.

Even if the above wasnt the case (which it is), if I were the judge on the case I would stand behind the NBA just on the basis that Sterling is a Racist dickhead.

I hope they force a sale, I mean what good is an owner who is Banned for life, from almost anything NBA related?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #84
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
I can't see how the NBA can fine him 2.5 million for his personal opinions. Sounds like a cash grab.
Because the Clippers are a franchise. When you buy a franchise you sign a contract that has rules of conduct.

If the NBA did not fine him and kick him out the players would have gone on strike. That's According to former NBA player/Player rep/mayor of Sacramento Kevin Johnson. Steve Nash was also at the same press conference and spoke.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #85
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
We Are One | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS

shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #86

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Even if you see the ban as an attack on "free speech", in the end, this decision was as much about money as it was about values. Money always talks in the end.

I'm sure the NBA's lawyers have every reason to believe they can win if Sterling takes the league to court.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #87
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Another person who obviously did not listen to the audio clip. He's not telling black people not to attend his games; he doesn't want his girlfriend posting photos of herself on instagram with black guys or bringing them to the game with her.
You're correct I haven't. I went with what I read on the first page where it says " and do not bring them to my game " to me I figured he didn't want black ppl in general. If he is referring to , for example, black people who are , as someone else said, a hood rat (ie. Sketchy friends of the gf) then okay. In that case he just used the wrong words to express his feelings.
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #88

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I'm sure the NBA's lawyers have every reason to believe they can win if Sterling takes the league to court.
Posted via RS Mobile
It would be easy for them to win, its not hard to believe the league would lose 2.5 million if it appeared that they condoned racism or didn't discipline a representative of the league who openly said such racist remarks. Especially racism towards african americans which account for a large number of both players in the league and the fans who watch the sport.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #89
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
people have already started approaching the NBA about buying the team, and aquilini does not have deep enough pockets
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #90
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Where's Chucky, clearly Magic set him up so he can buy the team it's all part of the New World Order.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #91
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Funny how Magic was the person who was singled out in the tapes and now he's the frontrunner to buy the Clippers.

And I'm glad this guy has been ousted, his comments went beyond "free of speech". He was protected by David Stern and others but eventually your hate gets exposed and shit hits the fan. He's a known racist and bigot who has a long history of hurting and destroying vulnerable people in our society like poor minorities by using his power and wealth. The largest discrimination settlement in LA history belongs to this guy and the way he treated people was unimaginable.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #92
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
To be honest, I don't really know why people are surprised by this racist fuck. This kind of talk and mindset is EXTREMELY common in high levels of government, banks, and corporations. It's an old white boys club, if you think this Sterling asshole is one of the few, you're grossly mistaken. Racism isn't gone, far from it. What bothers me the most is that these are the kind of people we have running our societies on the highest levels, these old archaic racist nitwits. My dream is that one day these guys will die off, and hopefully the younger generations will move into positions of power without having the racist dogmas from the past.

Maybe I'm thinking a little too pie in the sky though.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #93
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
people have already started approaching the NBA about buying the team, and aquilini does not have deep enough pockets
They should return those condos that they bought in the olympic village lol

tilt your head back and using your hand pretend to shake a salt shaker in your mouth... you will notice that it will actually taste like salt in your mouth..
elwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #94
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts

Man, those gifts.....

dayammmm!

[/QUOTE]

This V. Stiviano girl is a gold digger for sure:

$1.8 million duplex
A Ferrari
Two Bentleys
A Range Rover

Sterling's wife is suing this girl

Sterling Lawsuit Against Stiviano -- NYMag
Old 04-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #95
I STILL don't get it

imo if you are 75+ years old you get a pass on racism and religion.

especially if you were brought up from the south.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #96
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
True. But, you were later unbanned by !SG because you were racist against your own race. I think that ultimately supports my point.

Also, consider Michael Richards' (Cosmo Kramer) n word riddled comedy routine that created major controversy.

In comparison, Chris Rock's n word riddled comedy routines are totally cool.

The difference, of course, is Richards' is white dude and Rock is an african-american guy.
IMO it's less "bad" to be racist towards your own race... lets be real here, Chris Rock's whole "Black people vs. N***ers" comedy bit - while hilarious - would be completely unacceptable from ANY race, not just whites.

In the same way, being Filipino when I'm with my friends I make jokes all the time about Filipino people being nannies, working at McDonalds, housekeeping, etc... whereas I would be somewhat offended if some random person of another race started spouting off the same stuff in front of me. IMO being part of a racial group, whatever it is, gives you some license to notice stereotypes and poke fun at them. It's like how the "What White People Like" website is run by a white guy... but would likely be seen as offensive if, say, a Black person was running it.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #97
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
I heard on the news that when Sterling bought the team back in the 80's it was $12 million. It easily worth at least 50 times that amount now...
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #98
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
LUUUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #99
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Vancouver Clippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #100
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'm gonna just leave this here NBA Legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Rips BOTH SIDES in Donald Sterling ?Scandal? | Top Right News

TL : DR

One past incident, Sterling fined $3 million because he refused to house blacks cause he felt they "smell and attract vermin". (by far a more disgusting comment than the one this time)

“So, if we’re all going to be outraged,” the former NBA star wrapped up, “let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ and ‘Dancing with the Stars.’”

Last edited by KuSouL; 04-30-2014 at 11:25 AM.
KuSouL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: