REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Deadlifts (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695326-deadlifts.html)

MelonBoy 05-17-2014 11:08 PM

Deadlifts

Whats your take on sumo stance dead lifts vs conventional dead lifts?

I'm currently doing conventional dead lifts but recently given sumo a go.
Not sure if I should stay with conventional or switch..

Sumo stance: Feels like I'm using less core/lower back strength allowing me to push more weight. Also lets me pull heavy with both palms facing me.

Conventional stance: More strain on my back and any heavy lifts I need to use mixed grip to keep my reps up.

Overall I think my conventional dead lift form is pretty on the dot. That being said I'm always improving and sure I will keep polishing my form. The only problem is I've been stuck at my weight for a while. Mainly because I feel like my backs going to break... I think sumo will allow me to pull more but at a cost of cheating on my form??(Using less lower back, probably wont improve my conventional dead lifts)

Wanted to know what you guys think? Is cutting back on working on my lower back worth being able to up my weight on my lifts?

320icar 05-17-2014 11:30 PM

Just do shoulder width stance with an overhand grip. If you have maxed your weights for a long time and you feel like your back is going to break, your form is wrong

Matlock 05-18-2014 12:09 AM

Duck stance is my favorite. Very uncommon.

trollguy 05-20-2014 10:29 AM

any vids of your form? that's a good starting point for feedback

taeyoung92 05-20-2014 11:20 AM

I workout with a guy who loves power lifting and also competes. I've had this discussion with him before and simply put he told me it doesn't hurt to do both. Cycle through both stances and you will find them both beneficial in their own ways. I used to do just conventional but after doing sumo as well I found it help me get past stubborn plateaus. personally I believe deadlift is the king lift so why just stick to one stance? good luck

Cr33pUh 05-21-2014 02:37 PM

I heard that it's difficult for a talk guy with long legs to do conventional stance so instead they use sumo stance.

MelonBoy 07-26-2014 04:28 PM

Quick vid of my form. I'm kinda shaky because the weight is just below my 1RM. I could feel my form breaking at the top.

(Regular conventional dead lift)

Appreciate any tips or pointers. Thanks!

Cr33pUh 07-26-2014 09:51 PM

Never understood the reason for hyperextending your back. Once you pop your back into a straight position (after the "hip thrust"), you shouldn't need to further extend your back imo.

Alpine50 07-28-2014 06:15 AM

Personally I switch every month. Body doesn't get use to one motion all the time. I'm always rotating my lifts.

hal0g0dv2 07-28-2014 07:01 AM