REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 08-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #1426
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
what's the best beater for beginners for casual track duty only? not looking for unique/rare examples if possible

1. only changing tires/pads/fluid
2. na
3. forgiving (FF/FR with LSD)
4. reliable/easy to work on
5. no open wheel, no open top

stiff/lightweight/'raw' out of the box is ideal?
not buying someone else's built example

c5, fg2 si, brz, _________, _________

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...943237406.html

this is a built example, no lsd, but a very good build. high mileage won't matter if you're tracking it. Looks like everything is refreshed too.

FG2s are known to have electrical problems.

Quote:
e82 128i any reliable? could use more power for its weight?
With the above criteria, any BMW won't qualify. Cooling systems on those, like many BMWs, always need a watchful eye. For peace of mind, you would probably do a full overhaul on it. I've also heard the 1 series calipers to be "notoriously" fragile.
Advertisement

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 08-07-2019 at 10:58 PM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #1427
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quote:
what's the best beater for beginners for casual track duty only? not looking for unique/rare examples if possible

1. only changing tires/pads/fluid
2. na
3. forgiving (FF/FR with LSD)
4. reliable/easy to work on
5. no open wheel, no open top

stiff/lightweight/'raw' out of the box is ideal?
not buying someone else's built example

c5, fg2 si, brz, _________, _________
1) the answer is always Miata -- any generation
2) EK Civic
3) FG2 / FA5 Civic
4) FRS / BRZ -- but not the 2013 cars

I'd actually shy away from Corvettes even though they are cheap and fast. The "problem" is, their consumables get expensive because of the sheer power and speed that the car is capable of.

If you want to keep it cheap and reliable, the key is to keep the car as close to stock as you can other than suspension, wheels, and tires. And this is where the old NA/NB Miata and EK Civic really, really shines. 15" wheels and tires and brake parts are dirt cheap in those sizes.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #1428

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Kodamu View Post
Do you have the earlier laps of this session recorded Bic_Baws?

Had it pulled from a friend (JDM DC2R):

Not same exact session. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but this was novice group. Only footage left, seems like everyone's dash cam stopped working in the heat.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:33 AM   #1429
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
Was trying to find video of my friend in the white miata in your video. She just wants more footage cause we didn't set a camera in the car for her.
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #1430
Old School RS

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,205 Posts
Shameless plug, but I am selling my 128i which would be a pretty great HPDE car with the mods I have on it. It has a $$$ custom LSD, great suspension, and race bucket seats.

https://www.revscene.net/forums/7163...cross-car.html

-Mark
Old 08-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #1431
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post

this is a built example, no lsd, but a very good build. high mileage won't matter if you're tracking it. Looks like everything is refreshed too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
If you want to keep it cheap and reliable, the key is to keep the car as close to stock as you can other than suspension, wheels, and tires. And this is where the old NA/NB Miata and EK Civic really, really shines. 15" wheels and tires and brake parts are dirt cheap in those sizes.
already have a base rsx i'm likely keeping around for the winter
the other 3 seasons I have a new miata hardtop

ideally getting a jdm dc2 ITR, keep it stock for hpde/lapping days but i'm just trying to be open to see what else is out there (maybe something newer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Shameless plug, but I am selling my 128i which would be a pretty great HPDE car with the mods I have on it. It has a $$$ custom LSD, great suspension, and race bucket seats.
does it eat through tires quickly at hpde? clean glws
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #1432
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
Quote:
already have a base rsx i'm likely keeping around for the winter
the other 3 seasons I have a new miata hardtop
Assuming they have manual trannies, both of these cars will fit the bill perfectly as a casual track car that' won't be too expensive on consumables or have reliability issues. So why not just stick with them?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #1433

miata has a lot of body roll that I love in the mountains and I want it keep it fun and not so serious
and rf wont clear a roll bar
just paid it off and would be devastated if I crashed it without insurance

base rsx not hi-revving and no lsd

I want to separate it from something that i'll daily....louder/aggressive/stiff but still stock
Old 08-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #1434
Old School RS

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

https://www.revscene.net/forums/7163...cross-car.html

-Mark
Quote:
does it eat through tires quickly at hpde? clean glws
I have never done a track day with it, but with the amount of camber it has and the 50-50 weight distribution, it wears tires super evenly at autocross and I have no reason to think it would be any different at a higher speed event. The car weighs 2980lbs right now which is a bit lighter than an E36 M3 - it should basically be exactly the same on consumables.

-Mark
Old 08-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #1435

I compared my videos: Ridge vs Mission. I see what you guys mean by it seems like I was "floating" in the middle of the track at Ridge and that I'm pinching. So one of the things I focused on at Mission was to make sure I didn't pinch or use more of the track.

It was a conscious/active decision every time to make sure I didn't pinch. Is there a feeling or feedback I should be getting from the car to indicate pinching?
ie. When exiting T9 of Mission, I know why I should wide and how to go wide, but that's more of a conscious effort than getting input from the car.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #1436
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
I compared my videos: Ridge vs Mission. I see what you guys mean by it seems like I was "floating" in the middle of the track at Ridge and that I'm pinching. So one of the things I focused on at Mission was to make sure I didn't pinch or use more of the track.

It was a conscious/active decision every time to make sure I didn't pinch. Is there a feeling or feedback I should be getting from the car to indicate pinching?
ie. When exiting T9 of Mission, I know why I should wide and how to go wide, but that's more of a conscious effort than getting input from the car.
So I've been trying to think of a way to explain what I've learned in my first season on the track. I think your question can command a very complicated answer due to all the factors in performance driving, but I also think this is a good high-level summary:

The less steering angle you use, the faster you will be.

Keeping that in mind, if you can further reduce your steering angle on the corner exit phase without exceeding the track limits, then you are not yet using all of the available track.

Although it's not always so black and white, it's a good starting point, and worked well for me. I find myself learning the most when reviewing footage. Be sure to get your hands, and if you can, your feet.

Keep in mind the closer to the track limits you are driving, the higher chance for your inconsistency to bring you over the track limits and cause a potential off-track event
versep is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #1437
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Is there a feeling or feedback I should be getting from the car to indicate pinching?
In extreme cases, it'll feel like you're fighting the car to keep it stable assuming the setup is done correctly. It'll come with seat time.

If you're going to the September 1st track day at Ridge or any Mission days, let me know and I'll see if I can provide some feedback. I can understand/respond better with hands on involvement better than words haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #1438
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Rallycross in Squamish with the Vancouver subaru club, helped run by Velocity. All n’ all went really smooth.

First event of its kind for the organizers, I had a few concerns. Mostly with safety. There needed to be way more corner workers, and they didn’t even wear safety vests =_=. Also tech was kind of a joke. Just looked at my car and went “okay!” Though I could say the same about VCMC this year. That being said it ran as a continuous loop, no need to work corners ourselves so it was pretty much open pit, keep going over and over and over. Tonnes of seat time

One rollover but an actual rally car. Definitely proves the risk associated

Old 05-30-2021, 10:36 PM   #1439
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Jesus Christ this thread needs a bump.

I know track season is open now. Who’s been enjoying mission lately?
Old 07-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #1440
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,174 Times in 184 Posts

"I paid for the track, I will use all of the track"
325isMSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #1441
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isMSPORT View Post

"I paid for the track, I will use all of the track"
Oh, the "aim for the GAIN sign" corner? Yeah, I do the same, try to scrape by that pole, haha. Not a lot of people in Intermediate or Novice groups of the events I went to know to do this, it seems.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:48 PM   #1442
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Jesus Christ this thread needs a bump.

I know track season is open now. Who’s been enjoying mission lately?
I'm Alberta based (Edmonton) but got into tracking again this year after a long hiatus. Picked up a cheap FRS (2013 unfortunately - knock on wood) and tried to get as much events in as possible this summer. Ended up at 17 lapping days. We somehow have one of the best track scenes in Canada currently with 3 tracks around Edmonton area and Rocky Mountain Motorsport about to open this spring (to make 4 for Alberta) so it made sense to get into it again. First year with RWD. The FRS feels sooooo slow yet somehow puts down quite fast laptimes. Love this car and if it had a better motor it would be a beast.

kobe tai is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #1443
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Been looking for an FRS for track duty but the prices have skyrocketed, or rather, more than I'm willing to pay. Curious to see if you have any enhancements on the FRS or plans for any. I've always been curious about the Ohlins Road & Track kit.

I'm GTA based so there are a number of tracks available but often far and too many "clubs" that are either really bad/poorly organized or hard to get in to in order to participate. That and the tracks are often far, several hours away so a factor of time/cost plays a factor in the number of fun days.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #1444
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Been looking for an FRS for track duty but the prices have skyrocketed, or rather, more than I'm willing to pay. Curious to see if you have any enhancements on the FRS or plans for any. I've always been curious about the Ohlins Road & Track kit.

I'm GTA based so there are a number of tracks available but often far and too many "clubs" that are either really bad/poorly organized or hard to get in to in order to participate. That and the tracks are often far, several hours away so a factor of time/cost plays a factor in the number of fun days.
I should have probably done some research instead of just jumping into this chassis. People don't like the 2013's cause there is a valve retainer/spring recall, the factory tune has problems and its difficult to fully disengage traction control. The 2017+ is what I would be looking at if I did this again but they're expensive. Overall this has been pretty reliable. Must do an oil cooler before tracking as this motor runs crazy hot. Wrap the up-pipe with heat wrap as it tends to melt coilpacks. Mine has 120K km but hasn't had any major issues yet. I'm still on factory tune but most guys will tell you a reflash or dyno tune is a must on these as it will give you like 20whp and get rid of the annoying torque dip. I will do this in the spring.

I don;t have experience with Ohlins but from what I hear they're great. I'm running an Australian coilover from MCA. Other mods were just brake kit with aggressive pads, lines, fluid, a bucket seat, some chassis bars and bushings. Stock wheel wells can fit big tires (running 245 wide for street tire and 265 wide slicks for timed events). No rolling needed just a track alignment.

For the money the car is awesome as long as you can deal with Subaru motors. Don't expect Honda reliability and don't mess with it too much and it's a great track car.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #1445
RS Veteran

I track my 986 Boxster S, so it's already 100x worse than any Subaru engine haha
I can't imagine running it 17 times a year for track duty however.

Assuming I land one a cheap FRS (wishful thinking) I'd be ok with a 2013 and be perfectly okay if the engine exploded; it's already cheaper than a $10K+ rebuild on a Porsche motor. Do you have a link to the coilovers you are using?

For what its worth, I had a set of Ohlins suspension on my motorcycle and it was a night and day difference in handling quality. I've been in a few ride-alongs with guys from the PCA club running Ohlins R&T coilvovers and they are pretty sweet but they are in no way cheap but you get what you pay for I suppose. Neat FRS and build you have; colour me green in envy.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #1446
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I track my 986 Boxster S, so it's already 100x worse than any Subaru engine haha
I can't imagine running it 17 times a year for track duty however.

Assuming I land one a cheap FRS (wishful thinking) I'd be ok with a 2013 and be perfectly okay if the engine exploded; it's already cheaper than a $10K+ rebuild on a Porsche motor. Do you have a link to the coilovers you are using?

For what its worth, I had a set of Ohlins suspension on my motorcycle and it was a night and day difference in handling quality. I've been in a few ride-alongs with guys from the PCA club running Ohlins R&T coilvovers and they are pretty sweet but they are in no way cheap but you get what you pay for I suppose. Neat FRS and build you have; colour me green in envy.
I bought mine for just under 10k but it was a bit hacked. Currently into this whole setup at about $25k but that is with:

-spare motor
-spare transmission
-2 sets of track wheels+tires
-2 sets of brake pads
-recent clutch/flywheel change
-bunch of random crap that i wanted on it

The suspension I run is an older version of these: https://mcasuspension.com/product/mc...toyota-86-all/

They're comparable to Ohlins price wise but I bought them 2nd hand. Will probably get them serviced soon and maybe re-valved. They're too harsh for street driving, handle high speed imperfections really good but struggle on slow speed bumps. I think Ohlins would work better or even one of the cheaper jap coilovers like HKS or RSR.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #1447

in AB what's the average track day admission and seat time given that there's quite a few options?
Old 12-23-2021, 05:41 AM   #1448
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
in AB what's the average track day admission and seat time given that there's quite a few options?
Depends on the track/day but runs from 150-300. I'd say from 1-3hr of actual driving on a typical track day.

The new Rocky Mountain Motorsport park (just outside of Calgary) that is set to open in the spring will likely be way more though. They are doing a membership-style track (like Area 27). Look like an amazing track though

This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #1449
RS Veteran

That's pretty good! Typical track day at a good track and a good club in Ontario is around $500 - $900 (lots of varying factors.) One can go to a track day that's completely run amock without any rules for a few hundred bucks, but often the damage to your car from morons end up costing in the thousands.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #1450
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Loving my new brake pads lol... Willwood Polymatrix A