REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   What happens if you question Global Warming or Climate Change? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/695667-what-happens-if-you-question-global-warming-climate-change.html)

SkinnyPupp 06-01-2014 06:13 PM

What happens if you question Global Warming or Climate Change?

I just thought this was an interesting video, and short enough to check out if you have 15 mins to spare and consider with a skeptical eye.

One of the interesting aspects of science is that breakthroughs occur, but they are usually suppressed for years - sometimes decades. This is due to how research is funded in certain fields.

Knowing how wrong the consensus was on diet makes you think skeptically about the consensus about climate change. Or at the very least, the way it's being "solved"

SkinnyPupp 06-02-2014 10:07 PM

What happens if you question Global Warming or Climate Change?

K guess people don't find this interesting. At the very least I expected something from CiC :lawl:

AzNightmare 06-02-2014 10:14 PM

Well, just being honest. Not really sure what's this about.
Skimming through the video, and it looked pretty boring. Just a guy talking with a white background.

Can you type some coles notes on what's going on, cause we're all kind of too lazy to watch it.

meme405 06-02-2014 10:15 PM

15 minutes...:fuckthatshit:

DragonChi 06-02-2014 10:25 PM

IMO
Was there an ice ago millions of years ago? Yes
Were humans involved? No
Are we accelerating climate change? Probably
Is earth supposed to and going to stay exactly the way it is for eternity? No

I've come to the conclusion, if it doesn't affect a lot of people, and people are making lots of money. It's OK.

The conclusion comes from watching this documentry about pollution in small US towns, and the quagmire it takes to label things as toxic.
http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/epis...l-at-the-oasis

Bad science infographic. Spoilered for size.

SkinnyPupp 06-02-2014 10:27 PM

It's 15 minutes, but you should get the gist of things.

PiuYi 06-02-2014 11:07 PM

stopped watching when he claimed 100's of millions of people will die if we implement a cap and trade system with pollution.... depending on how the system is structured, it can actually help some desperately poor countries, as they can sell their emissions credit to countries like China, and invest the money into critical infrastructure for themselves

the thing with these kinds of videos is they have to be taken with a heavy grain of salt since I have no idea who this guy is, what agenda he serves, or if any of his stated facts are true or presented in a twisted way and I have no time to go and verify these things myself even if he gave me all the sources

one thing I do agree with him is that scientists alot of the time are no longer scientists these days... alot of research being done nowadays (and probably all through history) is done to look for a specific result, and its so hard to take that bias out of the research when the money powering the research is reliant on a certain outcome

SkinnyPupp 06-03-2014 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiuYi (Post 8481144)
stopped watching when he claimed 100's of millions of people will die if we implement a cap and trade system with pollution....

Well then you probably shouldn't have much more to say other than this.

Quote:

I have no idea who this guy is, what agenda he serves, or if any of his stated facts are true or presented in a twisted way and I have no time to go and verify these things myself even if he gave me all the sources

IMO not knowing one's agenda is the best way to consider their point objectively.
Quote:

one thing I do agree with him is that scientists alot of the time are no longer scientists these days... alot of research being done nowadays (and probably all through history) is done to look for a specific result, and its so hard to take that bias out of the research when the money powering the research is reliant on a certain outcome

Yup it's been like that for a while. From the 70's until now, the entire US population served as one big experiment on what happens if you change a nation's diet. Other countries followed, but not all. ALl the ones that did follow are now dealing with increased heart disease, diabetes, and other issues related to obesity. Tons of corn and soy were sold though.

The current experiment is climate change.

I do agree with you that if he is going to make these points, he should provide sources in the video's notes.

saucywoman 06-03-2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8481197)
Well then you probably shouldn't have much more to say other than this.

IMO not knowing one's agenda is the best way to consider their point objectively.

Yup it's been like that for a while. From the 70's until now, the entire US population served as one big experiment on what happens if you change a nation's diet. Other countries followed, but not all. ALl the ones that did follow are now dealing with increased heart disease, diabetes, and other issues related to obesity. Tons of corn and soy were sold though.

The current experiment is climate change.

I do agree with you that if he is going to make these points, he should provide sources in the video's notes.

Will watch later but my question is what's the diet that caused all these problems. As soon as you mention corn and soy I auto think GMO as those are the main GMO foods

SkinnyPupp 06-03-2014 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8481206)
Will watch later but my question is what's the diet that caused all these problems. As soon as you mention corn and soy I auto think GMO as those are the main GMO foods

I don't think there's nothing wrong with GMO diet wise, although its legality is probably related considering the other issues that exist with certain companies that use it.

Check out the movie King Corn if you haven't!

hchang 06-04-2014 07:14 PM

This article popped up on my Facebook feed, thoughts?

http://m.policymic.com/articles/9032...e-him-has-done

Neva 06-04-2014 07:19 PM

watch the latest ep of Cosmos and let the smooth jazz sounds of Neil deGrasse Tyson wash over you and explain it all

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fenisgzX1b...se-tyson-3.jpg

MG1 06-04-2014 08:42 PM

I watched all 15 minutes of it.

DragonChi 06-04-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 8482117)

Obama Just Did What No Other President Before Him Has Done - PolicyMic

This article is a good counter argument to why the earths overall temperature has stayed constant, as it was proposed in the video. It's because the ice caps have been melting.

You can see the same principle in action when you try to increase the temperature of an ice bath. It'll stay constant until all the ice melts.

SkinnyPupp 06-04-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 8482117)

Obama Just Did What No Other President Before Him Has Done - PolicyMic

Someone said they didn't know what 'agenda' the guy in the video was pushing.. well it's pretty clear what the agenda of this site is.