REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   new rider (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696048-new-rider.html)

timpy 06-15-2014 09:02 PM

new rider

Hi Revscene riders, a buddy of mine referred me to this site so I can get some advice on why I should not be getting a 3 cylinder (Daytona 675r) I just got my learners. I know I should start on a 250 or maybe lower but, I don't want to go through the buying and selling process.

Thank you for reading this.

zilley 06-15-2014 09:04 PM

timpo..?

jnesss 06-15-2014 09:29 PM

take a riding course if you haven't done so already. i started on an r6, a friend started on an r1. there's plenty of power in these bikes, but if you take it easy, you'll be fine.

FS1992EG 06-15-2014 09:35 PM

You'll die on that bike!
No joke!
Your first corner, you'll high side or low side.

Those school are there to save your life.

I even remember my instructor's name, and I don't remember anyone's name.

I think a moto bike would be best, put some street tires and your good to go!

Sunfighter 06-15-2014 09:55 PM

Step 1 : go to PRS or another riding school

Step 2 : go to PRS or another riding school

Finally,

Step 3 : go to PRS or another riding school

I am extremely happy that I went to PRS last year. I cannot for a second imagine riding a bike on a public road without having attended.

That said - I did make a mistake and bought the well-mannered CBR600RR after I finished the class. The bike was very forgiving, by 600cc-class standards, but it's a challenge as a new rider to tame even the Honda... I know my skillset would have grown exponentially if I had started on a 250cc/300cc bike as I would have been able to push and challenge the bike and more effectively grow into a 600cc-class bike.

I now have a Daytona 675 that I am just finishing a TOTAL rebuild on (including motor) ... even stock, this bike produces a frantic amount of torque. The different between this and most 600cc bikes is IMMEDIATELY noticable... this is NOT a bike for new riders. The bike has no tolerance for mistakes because it produces torque to the rear wheel faster than you can imagine.

Start with a 250cc/300cc bike. It's your health that matters most.

evlee 06-15-2014 10:00 PM

again.... GO TO PACIFIC RIDING SCHOOL! took that course 5 years ago and still alive and riding, bigger bikes are fine as long as you have wrist control. i started on an R6 as well and i was fine, but i had dirt bike experience if that even makes a difference. safe riding!!!

Jas29 06-15-2014 10:12 PM

I would go to a riding school doesn't have to be PRS however I went their last year and learned a lot.

A 250 will be a lot more forgiving then a bigger bike especially a 675.

I rode a ninja 250 for a year (my brothers bike) and bought my 07 cbr600rr this year and the jump in power was huge.

bananana 06-15-2014 10:19 PM

Riding school should be your first step. Decide on your bike after. A majority of motorcycle skills are NOT intuitive -- you will not learn proper form without proper instruction. After the course you will notice most motorcyclists have extremely poor form.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with whatever bike choice afterward. You don't need to go get something like a 250, however a higher-powered bike initially will hinder your growth and education as a rider.

CharlieH 06-16-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FS1992EG (Post 8488090)
You'll die on that bike!
No joke!
Your first corner, you'll high side or low side.

I think a moto bike would be best, put some street tires and your good to go!

you fucking retarded?

Vale46Rossi 06-16-2014 01:20 AM

I know everyone has posted, dont worry about having issues with a bigger bike, I started with a 750, but the most important is go to riding school (PRS) and it will teach you A LOT.

I regret starting on a 750 because it took me a lot longer to learn how to ride my bike (now a 1200) but it's doable as long as you have self control and aren't a fucking idiot.

A lot of it is being scared of the bike you're riding..... when you're scared you tense up when shit goes down.

But you should be fine with a bigger bike but go to riding school and learn how to ride a smaller bike first!

Good Luck!

GO PRS!

Ducdesmo 06-16-2014 11:00 AM

The 675 is not really newb friendly. I've ridden my friends and it has a very aggressive riding position and lots of low end torque. A cbr600rr would be better choice if you need to get a supersport since theres not much power till you hit 7000rpm.

quasi 06-16-2014 12:15 PM

The advantage of starting on something with less power is you'll be able to push the bike a bit more without it getting you in as much trouble. I could do things to my Gladius that if I did to my FZ-09 I'd be eating asphalt. You can start on any bike as long as you have a level head but some bikes are better then others for beginners.

I'd start on a 250, 500 or maybe something like sv650 and upgrade from there.

racerman88 06-16-2014 04:08 PM

If you start on a 250 or 300, selling will not be difficult as there are plenty of new riders looking for bikes.
You will learn more and faster on the smaller bike as it is more forgiving.
Here is a video of the potential:

Gwilo 06-16-2014 04:41 PM

When you can do this you have out grown a 250

Gwilo 06-16-2014 04:49 PM

Here are the list of starter bikes

Honda CBR1000RR

Kawasaki ZX-10R

Suzuki GSX-R1000

Yamaha YZF-R1

If you are looking at a naked

KTM Super Duke R

Aprilia Tuono V4R ABS

Triumph Speed Triple

DSHDSH 06-16-2014 06:30 PM

Just buy my bike, I'll give you a discount ;)