REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC Collector Plates + era specific modifications? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696395-icbc-collector-plates-era-specific-modifications.html)

Mr.C 06-30-2014 10:06 PM

ICBC Collector Plates + era specific modifications?

Hey everyone, tried to search for this but couldn't find it.

What kind of modifications are allowed to a car and still have it be eligible for collector's plates? Yes, I've read the ICBC website and it's very very vague.

Is there a specific department that takes care of that? Anyone know contact info?

Thanks!

dared3vil0 06-30-2014 10:10 PM

30 seconds of google search...

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...ries-parts.pdf

Spoiler!

Zordon 06-30-2014 10:26 PM

^ that's all you need to know. If your car is 1958 or older then go nuts.

Anything else is considered a "stock collector".

godwin 07-01-2014 12:03 AM

The contact info is on the top right corner of the form!!

http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...tor-status.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 8495894)
Hey everyone, tried to search for this but couldn't find it.

What kind of modifications are allowed to a car and still have it be eligible for collector's plates? Yes, I've read the ICBC website and it's very very vague.

Is there a specific department that takes care of that? Anyone know contact info?

Thanks!

vitaminG 07-01-2014 12:15 PM

They are pretty vague. Most of the era correct modifications that are referred to are specific to classic American cars. There's no mention of allowing aftermarket cold air intakes for example. It specifically says you can replace shocks and says you cannot replace leaf springs with coil over, but doesn't say if you can replace shocks and springs with a coilover.

I don't have a vehicle that could qualify, but I wouldn't mind clarification if anyone knows

hud 91gt 07-01-2014 12:28 PM

It says you can't lower the car more then an inch from stock height. Throw a coil over in if you want :p

vitaminG 07-01-2014 12:39 PM

It's seems like with 90s cars soon being eligible they might need to update their criteria to accommodate newer vehicles.

Here's another one what about engine swaps? They make no mention of this but I'm guessing a significant amount of 60s muscle cars that are collector plated don't have original engines.

What about a DA Integra with vtec swap? Vtec was technically optional in the da. Again I don't own one, I'm just curious

fliptuner 07-01-2014 12:56 PM

It says era correct (within 2 years) not numbers matching.

hud 91gt 07-01-2014 01:04 PM

Era correct within two years, of the same model vehicle.

It also states when you fill out the collectors plates application form your engine is not modified in anyway.

Zordon 07-01-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8496228)
They are pretty vague. Most of the era correct modifications that are referred to are specific to classic American cars. There's no mention of allowing aftermarket cold air intakes for example. It specifically says you can replace shocks and says you cannot replace leaf springs with coil over, but doesn't say if you can replace shocks and springs with a coilover.

I don't have a vehicle that could qualify, but I wouldn't mind clarification if anyone knows

In order to be approved for a "Stock collector" plate, your vehicle needs to be as stock as possible. Meaning only modifications can be done that are on the approved list.

A cold air intake is not on the approved list, you would need the stock air box.

Shocks can be replaced with oem stock shocks or as specified for height.

Quote:

Here's another one what about engine swaps? They make no mention of this but I'm guessing a significant amount of 60s muscle cars that are collector plated don't have original engines.
Engine swaps for stock collectors must be engines that are available at that time for that specific model and manufacturer. For example, if you have a 1990 Mazda Miata with a 1.6 blown motor and you wanted to swap a 1.8. You would not qualify as it is not era correct +2 years as the 1.8 wasn't available until 94. You could swap in another 1.6 motor from another vehicle though.

People who drive their cars with swapped motors that are do not fit in the criteria run into breach issues when they are involved in accidents.

Bottom line for collector plates, you have to be stock or how the vehicle came off the factory line with some approved mods.

ancient_510 07-01-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklam (Post 8496265)
People who drive their cars with swapped motors that are do not fit in the criteria run into breach issues when they are involved in accidents.

Exactly. I know many guys with cars eligible for collector plates that don't have them. The would love the cost savings but there are horror stories of ICBC adjusters invalidating their insurance over silly little things.

In one story I've heard: new wheels went on after collector plate approval; he was rear ended and ICBC said "sorry, nope" to the collision payout.

dared3vil0 07-01-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklam (Post 8496265)
Engine swaps for stock collectors must be engines that are available at that time for that specific model and manufacturer. For example, if you have a 1990 Mazda Miata with a 1.6 blown motor and you wanted to swap a 1.8. You would not qualify as it is not era correct +2 years as the 1.8 wasn't available until 94. You could swap in another 1.6 motor from another vehicle though.

So here's an interesting question, 25 years from now, could someone with a Mustang V6/GT swap in a GT500 motor and have collector plates?

mb_ 07-01-2014 06:47 PM

Assuming the rules will be the same then it sounds like it could

dared3vil0 07-01-2014 06:54 PM

^ Well i was thinking the same thing, but it seems a bit odd they would allow something like that, but not allow an aftermarket air intake.

Same thing would be like buying an E30 318i, and swap an E30 M3 motor in, and have a collector-plateable vehicle. Seems weird.

Zordon 07-01-2014 07:02 PM

I stand corrected.

Motor swap must be from the same model +2 years and cannot have any any performance enhancements.

Step 3, under engine compartments in the previously posted link. http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...tor-status.pdf

Zordon 07-01-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8496367)
So here's an interesting question, 25 years from now, could someone with a Mustang V6/GT swap in a GT500 motor and have collector plates?

I'm going to check on this cause I recall something similar... I'll keep you posted.

Mr.C 07-01-2014 09:03 PM

I was curious if I could collector plate an E38 750iL with an AC Schnitzer kit/exhaust. They could be ordered at dealerships, and would be delivered 'modded'.

Edit: Under the < 1500/year produced exemption.

vitaminG 07-01-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 8496407)
I was curious if I could collector plate an E38 750iL with an AC Schnitzer kit/exhaust. They could be ordered at dealerships, and would be delivered 'modded'.

its no different than say a shelby mustang a hurst 442 or asc mclaren buick gnx. i wonder if they even qualify since they are technically all modified significantly from stock by 3rd parties.

also it seems odd that they allow; headers, full exhaust, intake manifold and carburetor but they wouldnt allow a cold air intake. the whole list of allowable modifications seems a little biased towards classic american cars.

fliptuner 07-01-2014 10:36 PM

Most of the allowable modifications are aimed towards safety, availability and originality.

When it says full exhaust, it's followed by "with one that is similar to OEM". An intake manifold that isn't highrise (meaning it's for a V motor) would probably be lighter and more efficient, yet still look stock. Same goes for the carb replacement.

And yes, the approved parts list is antiquated and geared towards older American cars.

godwin 07-01-2014 11:26 PM

"Editions" and Individual doesn't count.. ICBC counts world wide runs of cars so in your case it will be 750iL for your year, and they do it by the VIN. That's why Alpina would qualify because they have their own VIN by AC won't because they are not officially an auto manufacturer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 8496407)

Zordon 07-02-2014 07:46 AM

If the engine is from factory, you can swap your motor to a bigger factory stock motor and still qualify for collector status. Has to be +2 years. Motor would have to be purely stock

Mr.C 07-02-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8496483)
"Editions" and Individual doesn't count.. ICBC counts world wide runs of cars so in your case it will be 750iL for your year, and they do it by the VIN. That's why Alpina would qualify because they have their own VIN by AC won't because they are not officially an auto manufacturer.

There were three or four years that there were less than 1500 750iL & 750i produced.

godwin 07-02-2014 10:06 PM

As long as you can prove it to ICBC then you should be fine. I know BMW Canada want quite a few $$ for that letter and they won't tell you until the number until you pay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.C (Post 8497067)
There were three or four years that there were less than 1500 750iL & 750i produced.

rajnator 07-13-2014 12:33 AM

READ THIS

I have a 76 stingray and got collectors plate on it. Firstly the engine, interior and radio be factory or era correct. That means even though the radio is not exclusively by let's say Chevy, if it fits in my car and is from the same year per say its acceptable. Any other modifications must have written documentation stating they are era or factory set. I got my letter from corvette specialities

rajnator 07-13-2014 12:34 AM

ICBC Collector Plates + era specific modifications?

something like lowering your car or fancy exhaust icbc won't know a thing. but something visible like maybe a "mono",steering ain't going to work.