REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Auto to manual transmission swap question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/696488-auto-manual-transmission-swap-question.html)

Russkii 07-04-2014 11:20 PM

Auto to manual transmission swap question

So this might be a stupid question but I really want to drive a manual car but my car's a automatic and I really don't want to buy a new car because I like mine. So I've been thinking if it's possible doing a transmission swap, from what I heard it's possible. I was wondering where can I get this done and how much is the process to do that including everything?

Cheers!

knight604 07-04-2014 11:39 PM

First of all what is your car..

Russkii 07-04-2014 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight604 (Post 8498129)
First of all what is your car..

My bad, I forgot to put that haha. It's a Honda Civic EX 1999.

Gerbs 07-05-2014 12:25 AM

not worth.

SkinnyPupp 07-05-2014 12:26 AM

Sell it and buy the same model in manual. You'll probably come out ahead too

Fafine 07-05-2014 03:38 PM

Sell it and buy a em1 sir

GrahamD 07-09-2014 04:19 PM

seriously, not very worth it unless you are mechanically inclined, can get the parts for very cheap and have some time on your hands. its definitely doable. you basically need a donor tranny and alot of associated parts. basically a d16y8 tranny is your best option. [FAQ] 96-00 Auto to Manual Swap in full detail!! (44pics) - Honda-Tech

Russkii 07-10-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamD (Post 8500104)
seriously, not very worth it unless you are mechanically inclined, can get the parts for very cheap and have some time on your hands. its definitely doable. you basically need a donor tranny and alot of associated parts. basically a d16y8 tranny is your best option. [FAQ] 96-00 Auto to Manual Swap in full detail!! (44pics) - Honda-Tech

Yeah that's what I heard! I heard it probs cost around 1k so its not that bad. But does anyone know where can get the parts? I'm planning to get it done at G5 but I'm not mechanically that inclined. Money is no problem for me rn.

fliptuner 07-10-2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russkii (Post 8500327)
Yeah that's what I heard! I heard it probs cost around 1k so its not that bad. But does anyone know where can get the parts? I'm planning to get it done at G5 but I'm not mechanically that inclined. Money is no problem for me rn.

$1k parts and labour? My guess is, that's closer to how much just the labour would cost.

If you just get used parts, machine the flywheel and get a clutch kit and ISB, you'd probably be into it for around $600+. Many would opt to use a new clutch master, slave, mounts, flywheel bolts, shifter bushings, etc.

So you'd be into it for around $2k, easily more. A quick CL search shows that auto and manual EK sedans are about the same value. You could sell yours and buy a manual without spending much, if anything.

MindBomber 07-10-2014 02:23 AM

I would expect well-beyond $1k in labour to do an a-to-m swap at Garage 5.

In fact, I bet the final bill would be between $3000-3500. I recall it being about $4000 on a prelude.

It is a complete waste of cash. The 3 reasonable alternatives are: learn to do it yourself, sell the auto and buy a manual, or learn to live with the auto.

Russkii 07-10-2014 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8500339)
I would expect well-beyond $1k in labour to do an a-to-m swap at Garage 5.

In fact, I bet the final bill would be between $3000-3500. I recall it being about $4000 on a prelude.

It is a complete waste of cash. The 3 reasonable alternatives are: learn to do it yourself, sell the auto and buy a manual, or learn to live with the auto.

Oh I remember seeing that on a forum where a guy did a auto to manual swap but I don't recall seeing the price now that I can't find that post. Was it you who did that swap? If it's that much than it's not worth it at all haha

european 07-10-2014 03:01 PM

I had GarageFive do a 5speed swap on my 97 Prelude a very long time ago.
If I remember correctly, I paid about 1300 for parts, some new and some used
And I think it was 1500 for labour at GarageFive? I can't remember of the top of my head, I'll have to find the invoice and double check but roughly 3K for the entire conversion.

Here is all of the information from a swap:

http://vancouverpreludeclub.net/phpB...c.php?f=7&t=25

I wouldn't do this again. I think its best to sell the car and purchase the same model, better model or different vehicle in manual.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mike

BrownBear 07-14-2014 01:47 PM

If you have a friend who can help I would recommend doing it your self. It might take at longer than a shop would, but it will be a great learning experience. Like everyone else said it's not worth doing it, UNLESS you're doing it your self. Sell the car and buy a manual one. You can easily find manual civcs. They're dime a dozen

underscore 07-14-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by european (Post 8500565)
I had GarageFive do a 5speed swap on my 97 Prelude a very long time ago.
If I remember correctly, I paid about 1300 for parts, some new and some used
And I think it was 1500 for labour at GarageFive? I can't remember of the top of my head, I'll have to find the invoice and double check but roughly 3K for the entire conversion.

Here is all of the information from a swap:

VancouverPreludeClub.net ? View topic - Automatic to manual transmission swap

I wouldn't do this again. I think its best to sell the car and purchase the same model, better model or different vehicle in manual.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mike

Costs were about the same for me with a 97 Prelude 2 years ago, I did a lot of hunting and saved a bit on the parts + did the electrical side of the swap myself to save some cash. I would agree on selling and rebuying, the only reason I didn't was the auto tranny was fried so the car wasn't worth much as it sat.

Budget at least $3k for a FWD Honda swap, hell I'd budget $3,500 if you're not finding the parts yourself and you might be surprised with it coming in under budget, but I wouldn't count on it.