REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
hmm I assume you work for MBB?

May I ask how did you get into the field? undergrad or experience?

I'm very interested in the consulting career path before family priorities take over.
Work for different firm that has no travel. Not interested in Mon-Thurs travel to the middle of no where.

Got lucky and happened to apply for a job at the right time. Had ugrad and CFA at the time.

MBB recruiting is straight-forward. Straight out of ugrad, straight out of MBA or out of industry where you have expert knowledge. Sure there's always exceptions to the rule, but not many.
Advertisement
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Just nailed my CFA L3 exam. Another year of experience before obtaining the charter.

I'm in finance on the credit side.

Does MBB even have an office here...?

Anyway, if any of you finance folks are in downtown, we should grab a drink.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Vancouver is a graveyard for CFA related careers.

I say this from experience.

You will do way better elsewhere, but good luck to you, it's a great designation to have
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #29
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Just passed my Level 2 CFA because I feel that it's useful to know a little bit about everything. The CFA exam is just that.

I already have a Masters degree and working a career type job. However, I figured that a professional designation wouldn't hurt.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #30

What people need to understand is that the finance field here in Vancouver is extremely competitive. I'm strictly talking about pure finance positions like analyst/associate positions within IBD, ER, AM, or on the corporate side, and not some non-analytical assistant/admin crap.

Whenever a real finance position is posted (typically on CFA Vancouver job board or search the key word "CFA" on indeed), you have people from Calgary, Toronto, and even New York/London applying. These are the people who left Vancouver after undergrad, who gained experiences in major financial markets, and would like to come back.

For every finance position, expect to be competing with at least 100 candidates, with many of them being very qualified for the role. A number of positions posted recently were filled by people from outside Vancouver. Our firm recently hired a guy from GS in London. One of the IB analyst positions posted recently was filled by someone who came back from Toronto.

I believe Toronto has the highest percentage of CFA Charterholders, and Vancouver is not far behind. It's a great designation to have and can greatly help for career advancement, but you can't expect it to be a ticket to a job when you have zero experiences.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Just nailed my CFA L3 exam. Another year of experience before obtaining the charter.

I'm in finance on the credit side.

Does MBB even have an office here...?

Anyway, if any of you finance folks are in downtown, we should grab a drink.
No, but there are MBB folks based out of Vancouver that do the Mon-thurs thing.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #32

Quote:

For every finance position, expect to be competing with at least 100 candidates, with many of them being over qualified for the role. A number of positions posted recently were filled by people from outside Vancouver. Our firm recently hired a guy from GS in London. One of the IB analyst positions posted recently was filled by someone who came back from Toronto..
CFA with no actual experience means nothing. most ppl in vancouver have CFA bc they wrote the exams (i know there is the 4 year experience requirement, but it's not hard to BS your way through that).

ppl come to vancovuer to chill out and settle, they get their experience somewhere where you can get experience (TO, NY, etc), and then give up the BS 12 hr days, move to vnacouver, work 9-6, make way less, but are (or should) already be most well off...

not to scare anyone away from CFA, but all the ppl I know in 'CFA' roles aren't experienced in Vancovuer before getting their current job.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #33
HELP ME PLS!!!

what kinda experience do you need to get the CFA?
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 PM   #34
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

interned at PwC (accounting) and signed a management consultant offer at KPMG for the upcoming year. graduated with a BBA.

willing to answer questions regarding my field.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post
interned at PwC (accounting) and signed a management consultant offer at KPMG for the upcoming year. graduated with a BBA.

willing to answer questions regarding my field.
with all due respect, have you even started work yet? going to school does not give you sufficient knowledge to advise anyone

what was KPMG management consulting before it was KPMG (they bought out a company a couple of years ago, i forget it's name).
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyaccord View Post
stop being so lazy.

go google it, or https://www.cfainstitute.org/Pages/index.aspx
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #37

Quote:
People like you are the ones that fail level 1 repeatedly.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
with all due respect, have you even started work yet? going to school does not give you sufficient knowledge to advise anyone

what was KPMG management consulting before it was KPMG (they bought out a company a couple of years ago, i forget it's name).
They bought out Secor which bought out RPO-MC.

Smart people there. Long assed hours. I bombed an interview when it was RPO-MC and got a job offer for Secor a couple years later when I interviewed again. Turned it down for something else.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #39

At least they didn't rename it to Strategy&....
Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
People like you are the ones that fail level 1 repeatedly.
Was just asking the board a general question, and do you have anything to contribute that can help a RS member out in terms of the types of jobs required?
And are you a CFA? seems like it by your response above
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM

Last edited by sexyaccord; 08-26-2014 at 09:28 PM.
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Was just asking the board a general question, and do you have anything to contribute that can help a RS member out in terms of the types of jobs required?
And are you a CFA? seems like it by your response above
There's a big difference between doing some basic research and asking smart questions that demonstrate your willingness to learn vs being lazy and expected to have things handed to you on a plate.

Let me demonstrate:

Lazy
What kind of job do I need to qualify for my CFA designation?

Not lazy
I've read the requirements and I'm still a little fuzzy. I currently work at ______ doing ________ and I think it's related, though not explicitly. Does anyone have any experiences qualifying this kind of experience or should I start looking for something that will?

Ask yourself: Can I find the answer with google in 5 minutes or less?

If yes - Go google it.
If no - Google it anyways and demonstrate what you've learned and then ask the question.

I'll add that I've also learned this the hard way. Early in my career, I had an informational interview with a VP at an investment firm and was totally unprepared. My dumbass thinking at the time was.. Oh I'll just figure out questions to ask and go from there.

She totally knew I wasn't prepared and reamed me out for it. Did not get job. Did not get access to her contacts.

Last edited by DaFonz; 08-26-2014 at 10:03 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 PM   #42

Quote:
At least they didn't rename it to Strategy&....
Woulda been even better if they renamed it to Point Bearing.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #43
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

Fair.

After graduating last year, I became a management consultant at PwC. I quit a couple months ago and I'm working as an in-house strategy consultant for a leading mining company right now.

KPMG bought out SECOR in 2012. But my job will be based out of the Hong Kong office starting in March.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Fair.

After graduating last year, I became a management consultant at PwC. I quit a couple months ago and I'm working as an in-house strategy consultant for a leading mining company right now.

KPMG bought out SECOR in 2012. But my job will be based out of the Hong Kong office starting in March.
Which miner?

What kind of work do u do for them?

And why u moving to HK? Is it due to lack of opportunities in Vancouver?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #45
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Fair.

All that with a BBA?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #46
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Good idea for a thread, tiger_handheld.

I've been working in public practice since 2008. Started at a very small CGA firm then went to a bigger (but still small) CA firm. I'm now a senior accountant at a mid-sized firm in Surrey.

I got my CA in 2013. It was a long 30 month process but well worth it in the end. If you're going to succeed in this field, you've got to get designated.

BTW, good luck to all the UFE candidates who are writing in two weeks. Your family, friends and colleagues are all cheering for you.
adrnlnrush00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #47
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
So here is a question for all the accountants on here...

Do you think anyone has considered capitalizing employees? I mean if you think about it aren't they an asset? The gf was talking about human capital and it brought this to my mind. All the places that rely on human brains would use this wouldn't they? It sounds too good to be true, hence my question to you guys lol...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #48

Uh.. no. Just think how would you even begin to do that, and you'll know why it's not possible. It might be possible, but simply makes no sense to do it.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #49
RS controls my life!

I was wondering for all you experts. How does one gain experience in the accounting field for someone with just an accounting diploma? Many places seem to require some experience. I'm guessing volunteering is the way to go? and How did all you guys get your first experience?
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
So here is a question for all the accountants on here...

Do you think anyone has considered capitalizing employees? I mean if you think about it aren't they an asset? The gf was talking about human capital and it brought this to my mind. All the places that rely on human brains would use this wouldn't they? It sounds too good to be true, hence my question to you guys lol...
asset is defined as:

1) acquired by a prior transaction
2) future benefit to company
3) control over future benefit

(this is totally over simplified from my UFE days many years ago, but it still rings true today, in an over simplified way)

you most definitely do not have no. 3. An asset is, by definition, to be controlled, one cannot control an employee. an employee can quit tomorrow, free and clear, an asset, while it can break down, it cannot leave, nor does it break down 'by choice'

now, if your employee is working on something, say software code, then yes their time can be capitalized relating to that project as the software code is owned, you control it, and it has future benefit...