REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Car was backed in to... Quick question... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697315-car-backed-quick-question.html)

dared3vil0 08-07-2014 09:27 PM

Car was backed in to... Quick question...

Not sure if this is the correct forum, BUT, was at starbucks about half an hour ago and when i came out i was approached by a gentleman who said he had backed into my car at very low speeds. First off, if you're on here, thanks for being honest! So rare and so appreciated.

Anyway, i inspected my car closely and did not see any damage what so ever. Not even a scratch... I think he bumped into my license plate, but again, no visible damage.

Is it a good idea to report it to ICBC, even though there was no damage? I still took down his licence plate etc just in case i see something tomorrow, but i examined it pretty thoroughly and didn't see anything... Any opinions?

bcedhk 08-07-2014 09:30 PM

yes report it. you paid for your insurance so why not be on the safe side..

dared3vil0 08-07-2014 09:36 PM

Good point... Will call in the morning.

inv4zn 08-07-2014 09:57 PM

I was under the impression that reporting minor incidents is not worth it because it then goes on the records of that car, as having an accident.

Is that incorrect?

entrax 08-07-2014 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8513711)
I was under the impression that reporting minor incidents is not worth it because it then goes on the records of that car, as having an accident.

Is that incorrect?

i think it's only when there is an estimated value of damage against the car. if there's no damage noticable, then it might be zero value of damage...so i don't think they would add that in

inv4zn 08-07-2014 10:08 PM

I see I see..I'd like to know for sure though.

I'd assume that just going in for inspection opens up a case number and paper trails and etc etc...

Dunno - your call, really, unless someone can verify what really happens.

dared3vil0 08-07-2014 10:14 PM

Shit. Would really rather not have an accident reported in file even if there's no damage as i plan to sell it eventually... Hmm.

fliptuner 08-07-2014 11:11 PM

If there's no damage, what's to report?

mb_ 08-07-2014 11:16 PM

I think it'll only show up if there's a claim made.

Alby 08-07-2014 11:19 PM

who knows, maybe there will be a note and a file number saying you claimed someone backed into your car, but no damage upon inspection.

dared3vil0 08-07-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8513749)
If there's no damage, what's to report?

Point taken. As much as people rag on ICBC their system works (in my opinion) so that's why i asked what exactly would the the "right" thing to do by ICBC "standards".

snails 08-07-2014 11:20 PM

the damage report only comes up if its over 2g iirc??

unless there was a glass or vandalism claim

could be wrong but every time we have searched the history of cars for the dealership it would only come up if that was the case

zulutango 08-08-2014 03:54 AM

You should report it and give them the contact info for the guy who hit you. You did get it did you? There may be damage hidden from sight under bumper covers that you will only discover after a proper inspection. This way his coverage will pay for any damage. If not, then you will be on the hook & pay your deductable.

freakshow 08-08-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dared3vil0 (Post 8513754)
what exactly would the the "right" thing to do by ICBC "standards".

The official ICBC thing to do would be to report the incident with all relative info, including your personal damage assessment, then let them deal with the rest.

dared3vil0 08-08-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8513818)
You should report it and give them the contact info for the guy who hit you. You did get it did you? There may be damage hidden from sight under bumper covers that you will only discover after a proper inspection. This way his coverage will pay for any damage. If not, then you will be on the hook & pay your deductable.

Yep, got all info just in case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8513904)
The official ICBC thing to do would be to report the incident with all relative info, including your personal damage assessment, then let them deal with the rest.

Yeah better safe than sorry, going to be weird calling dial a claim and telling them there's no damage LOL.

Acethriller 08-08-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8513755)
the damage report only comes up if its over 2g iirc??

unless there was a glass or vandalism claim

could be wrong but every time we have searched the history of cars for the dealership it would only come up if that was the case

I believe the claim shows up as long as a repair was made/estimated as I had 2 claims both under 1k show up on my previous car under icbc's history report.

nabs 08-08-2014 12:47 PM

No "visible" damage is different than no damage. Make sure you use the word visible.

dared3vil0 08-08-2014 05:00 PM

^ I actually had my car up on a hoist today and had the front bumper taken off etc- there is no damage whatsoever.

Ran out of time to call today, will call tomorrow.

nabs 08-08-2014 05:40 PM

But still, if you're going to report it, then let ICBC do their own investigation. They will just send you to a Valet approved shop anyways. Take pictures and that's it.

zulutango 08-08-2014 08:07 PM

Another reason to report it is if he decides to report the crash as YOU backing HIM....you never know. Just report it man.