REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #26
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
The rental place figures it easier to screw you all over and make sure they have enough money to cover the damages then do what's right and keep $500 from the two in the collision and try and chase down those two people for the rest of damages if it's over. They know it's harder to get the money after the fact, ie: they'd rather have you chase them then them chase you.

It's super shady, like suggested get the credit card company to refund it and they can sue the two people who crashed if damages are over $1,000. If I was involved in the collision I would have told them to send me a bill for the difference but after this I'd do what they did and tell them to sue me.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #27
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
That's a great service, but my understanding is they pick a lawyer for you as they probably cycle through lawyers to spread these around. Since I have a lawyer I can't really use that service. And I think that's a one-time deal. Still a good idea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
already filed a file and wrong bad reviews on yelp and google loool
Screw writing reviews. You need to step things up. Try the charge back first then sue them. Just because you signed the waiver which says you give up your right to sue doesn't mean you can't sue.

I posted this before and it's relevant. My wife bought a health club membership years ago. Decided she didn't want it but they refused to refund. The contract she signed also said she gave up her right to sue and there were no refunds. Problem is that in BC you have 10 days to get a refund. That's the law. And you can't sign away rights in a waiver or contract that go against the law. So we won our case in court even though the contract my wife signed "supposedly" gave up those rights.

Don't pussy out like so many do when they get screwed. Go after these guys in court if the charge back doesn't work.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
Sooo do you need a license to rent one of these? If you don't got one could u just use a friend's for two rentals? Asking because I plan to go here next week lol
Quote:
no u dont lol
Any operators do have to be 18 though. Anyone under the age of 18 is not allowed to drive.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #29
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
All boat, sea doo, rental places operate like this seemingly, it's like quasi said

Put yourself in their shoes, Somone comes and does $1xxx damage to a machine, you take a $500 deposit from some guy who's got a $500 limit on a visa. The guy could easily walk away from the incident cancel the visa and save himself hundreds of dollars in the remaining costs.

Like I said in my first post, it's shady as fuck and terrible business practice but after me and some friends crashed two sea doos into each other you can clearly see why they act the way they do

Hell, in our case the stoner who was manning the rental booth at the time didn't even take two of our deposits, he was in such a rush to get us out he blew through the waiver, took 2 of 4 deposits and sent us out saying "lol not like you'll break them all"

Lol...either way when you rent somthing and fuck it up there's absolutely no insurance so might as well man up and pay for your mistakes not try to find all these loop holes
Etc in an attempt to not pay or whatever (not saying that's what happening but thays always the first thing that comes to a lot of peoples minds)
Old 08-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
If you rent anything these days you have to be ready to get fucked over, pretty much!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
your first mistake was going to cultas lake... not sure how anyone could enjoy jetski's on that tiny fucking lake.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
All boat, sea doo, rental places operate like this seemingly, it's like quasi said

Put yourself in their shoes, Somone comes and does $1xxx damage to a machine, you take a $500 deposit from some guy who's got a $500 limit on a visa. The guy could easily walk away from the incident cancel the visa and save himself hundreds of dollars in the remaining costs.

Like I said in my first post, it's shady as fuck and terrible business practice but after me and some friends crashed two sea doos into each other you can clearly see why they act the way they do

Hell, in our case the stoner who was manning the rental booth at the time didn't even take two of our deposits, he was in such a rush to get us out he blew through the waiver, took 2 of 4 deposits and sent us out saying "lol not like you'll break them all"

Lol...either way when you rent somthing and fuck it up there's absolutely no insurance so might as well man up and pay for your mistakes not try to find all these loop holes
Etc in an attempt to not pay or whatever (not saying that's what happening but thays always the first thing that comes to a lot of peoples minds)
If these guys are always losing out (more people damaging equipment than what they make on rental fees and damage deposits) then maybe they should learn how to run a fucking business.

You don't screw people over illegally because you're too stupid to take all possible scenarios (expenses, accidents, other problems) that might arise in the operation of your business.

These guys signed individual waivers, not a group waiver where all their names are on a single contract. This will never stand up in court.

To the OP: Did you know in many cases where a business refuses to refund you money they have to pay you TRIPLE damages? Yes, triple. This is why you need to see a lawyer. At the very least 4 of you will get back $500 each plus a court costs/filing fees. At best they'll get $1,500 each plus court costs. I don't know enough about this situation, but in the case of health clubs refusing to refund memberships it's triple (found this out with my wife's case).

This is why you need to see a lawyer. Stop wasting time posting bad reviews and do something to get your money back and teach these assholes a lesson.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #33
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Now taking applications for the "RS Shutdown Crew"
RS Beatdown Crew members need not apply, your membership is in good standing for both crews.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #34
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Any pics of the damage?
Old 08-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #35
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
If you rent anything these days you have to be ready to get fucked over, pretty much!
Not necessarily, just depends as long as its a decent business. Rented a scooter and crashed it (being stupid). Max deductible was $500 so I was fully expecting to be charged that. But got a call a week later with the damage report and was only charged $300.

Good luck OP. That business sounds shady as fuck
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #36

i've rented boats, sea doos, and snow mobiles in the last 4-5 years and not one company had anything close to an insurance policy. Every single one has had a huge warning waiver sheet saying specifically you are on the hook for any damages that occur

with that said, we've dealt with some awesome companies who never touched other peoples deposits and were 100% in communication with the parties from start to finish [two seperate claims on snowmobiles over $1000)

the reason the shady ones operate like this are because i mentioned before, no one can rely on someone coming back and paying the balance, and B) because 99% of the people are not going to do what Dangonay said to do and get a lawyer, for the most part it's easier to just pay than take legal action.

i'm sure a place like this deals with all sorts of degenerates etc. being on Cultas and all, so operating like this shouldnt come as a surprise
Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #37
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Any operators do have to be 18 though. Anyone under the age of 18 is not allowed to drive.
oh well they let my friend ride anyways lool. I dont know how to sue people lool, and is it even worth it since it may cost a lot more than $3000...
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #38
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

You should reason with them first before you go kamikaze...
Be calm and work a deal out on the repair bill. They'll refund the difference.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #39

Yea I don't think any damage should be 3k..make sure you get them to give you all invoices on repairs etc at the very least

The sea-doo we damaged, allbeit an older model had it's fibreglass hull completely cracked/shifted over itself on one side where you put your foot. That repair only cost $650 if I remember correctly
Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #40
straight from the fields of squamton

rs shutdown crew.

we all go with pre paid cards. fake cory trevor I.Ds to match and bring them back missing engines.

if that doesn't shut them down, do it again the next weekend.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #41
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
what if it's a loft in gastown

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #42
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
oh well they let my friend ride anyways lool. I dont know how to sue people lool, and is it even worth it since it may cost a lot more than $3000...
File with your CC they will always be on your side and since the waiver isn't sign as a group so only the ones that damage the equipment should get charge. Also it doesn't cost $3k to sue. Just go to a lawyer office and ask them them write a letter to the said company in question demanding the refund or you will take them to court. A letter cost maybe $100 to $200 or even less if you know someone as a lawyer. 90% of the time when companies receive a lawyer and they know they are in the wrong will basically back off. Basically they have no grounds to keep the money from other people even though you guys went as a group (since the waiver isn't a group waiver).
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
File with your CC they will always be on your side and since the waiver isn't sign as a group so only the ones that damage the equipment should get charge. Also it doesn't cost $3k to sue. Just go to a lawyer office and ask them them write a letter to the said company in question demanding the refund or you will take them to court. A letter cost maybe $100 to $200 or even less if you know someone as a lawyer. 90% of the time when companies receive a lawyer and they know they are in the wrong will basically back off. Basically they have no grounds to keep the money from other people even though you guys went as a group (since the waiver isn't a group waiver).
Send 4 letters, one for each person. Make sure they are sent registered or get them delivered (like serving papers). All the letter needs to state is they have 10 business days from the receipt of the letter to refund in full or you will file a case in small claims court.

If you don't hear back then each of the 4 needs to take a copy of the letter and proof it was delivered to the courthouse to file a lawsuit. This will cost you $100 each. You don't need a lawyer for the letter or to file. You just need to very briefly state why you're suing. The court won't allow you to file unless you can prove you gave them a chance to pay (sending the letter) and they didn't within 10 days.

Honestly, you don't really need a lawyer as you'll each get back your $500 plus the $100 court filing fee. The reason you need to see a lawyer is to see if this type of case would allow you to get triple damages or any other "bonuses".

As I said, make these fuckers pay. Don't bend over and take it in the ass like so many on RS have done when they complained about something that happened o them, got excellent advice, and then never followed through.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #44
I am grateful grapefruit

Just playing Devil's Advocate here. If you were to take them to small claims court - they could very easily say that the extra money is to cover lost revenue from having to fix the units. at $80 an hour, let's say 5 hours a day, and being out of commission for 3 days (while being "repaired") is $1200 each.

Not saying that what they did was right, just saying that going to court might not get the result you're looking for.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Just playing Devil's Advocate here. If you were to take them to small claims court - they could very easily say that the extra money is to cover lost revenue from having to fix the units. at $80 an hour, let's say 5 hours a day, and being out of commission for 3 days (while being "repaired") is $1200 each.

Not saying that what they did was right, just saying that going to court might not get the result you're looking for.
The judge will demand proof they were out of commission. As in work orders from a shop. And all they can do is go after the 2 guys who had a collision, not the 4 who had fuck all to do with it.

And once the judge sees how they run their business (trying to screw 4 guys who legally have no obligation to pay), anything they say is going to be suspect.

Edited: Do you think they even bothered to get it fixed, or have they been renting them out all this time after a quick fix? If they decide to get them fixed AFTER they get notified they're being sued, how is that going to look to the judge?

Last edited by dangonay; 08-24-2014 at 06:23 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #46
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Don't be a lazy-ass pussy, and fail us, OP!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #47
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
rs shutdown crew.

we all go with pre paid cards. fake cory trevor I.Ds to match and bring them back missing engines.

if that doesn't shut them down, do it again the next weekend.
"Let me ask you a question, Ted.
Do you see anything wrong here?"

KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2014, 09:10 PM   #48
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:

Unless I am miss understanding what you mean, I think you are wrong.

What everyone has stated and I agree with them, is that each of the rentals is a separate contract with that individual and the rental place. Just because 2 people came with each other it doesn't mean that they are responsible for the other persons actions.

For example I was in mexico not long ago, and we rented ATV's if one of my buddies wrecked the ATV (which is entirely possible since my friends are goons), I would have been livid if the rental place withheld my damage deposit. My friend and I are completely different people, and I have no responsibility to foot the cost of him wrecking the rental places machine.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #49
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Separate contracts. They may as well try to withhold deposits from everyone who rented that day. Absurd.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #50

Quote:

To further expand on this, what happens when you rent a car? They walk around the vehicle and check for damage before AND after the rental so you can compare. And the serial number of the car is on the contract.

Did this place do something so thorough? Is the serial number of the jet ski on each persons contract? Does it match with the one they were riding? Or did they all head down to the dock and grab the first ones in line that were ready to go (like at a go-kart track)?

I'm betting it's the latter, which means if the damage wasn't documented fully before/after, then they'll never be able to collect anything in court. The two guys who actually did collide might even be able to get their deposits back if the rental place didn't keep proper records. How would you know if the jet ski had a previous collision and some of the damage was from that collision?