REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Recommend a pay-as-you-go carrier (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697686-recommend-pay-you-go-carrier.html)

Zedbra 08-25-2014 08:41 PM

Recommend a pay-as-you-go carrier

I just had an international student show up and he wants to go and get a pay-as-you go SIM tomorrow and was asking me what company is best here for that service. Well, I have no idea about the different options, I've been on long-term plans for 20 years. My student has a phone, will only be here until the end of January. Please let me know what I need to know and I'll pass the info along.

And, I tried searching pay as you go and also prepaid with no luck. kthanxbai

RickyTan3 08-25-2014 08:44 PM

chatr

Inaii 08-25-2014 08:48 PM

When I used pay-as-you-go I was with Fido, seemed pretty decent. I don't know if they do it anymore, but might be worth looking up on their site.

jinxcrusader 08-25-2014 08:50 PM

If this person is an *EXTREMELY* light user of phones (just using it for emergencies, etc.) ask Rogers for the $100/year prepaid plan. I don't know if they still offer it though but I know my parents are still on that. Not sure if it's something grandfather'd over.

I use Mobilicity. Nothing beats paying $24 a month for unlimited calling texting and data. The occasional network stutter/no connection in thicker walled buildings/underground parkades but i'm hardly in those areas anyway.

godwin 08-25-2014 09:24 PM

Rogers or President's Choice. Assuming your international student has an unlocked phone with the right freq.

You might want to up your searching skills by using Google instead of the library or things printed on paper.

syee 08-25-2014 09:53 PM

Might also want to include what type of phone they have. There are hardware limitations that might prevent them from using certain carriers. (namely Wind and Mobilicity, but also Bell/Telus as well depending on phone)

valent|n0 08-25-2014 10:56 PM

speak out from 7-11 is the bang for the buck for minimal use I think

Zedbra 08-26-2014 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8521209)
Rogers or President's Choice. Assuming your international student has an unlocked phone with the right freq.

You might want to up your searching skills by using Google instead of the library or things printed on paper.

It was right before we all called it a night here, thought I'd let the net do it's thing overnight. Print is one thing, actual user's opinion is another - hence, I'm on an internet forum asking just that. **mind blown** Let me know the next time you buy a car from a Google search alone - I'm sure that Ford looks good in print.

Phone is an iPhone, it is unlocked, has the right frequencies - all that was checked prior to my post.

Thanks for the replies and also for letting me know about Google

PJ 08-26-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valent|n0 (Post 8521259)
speak out from 7-11 is the bang for the buck for minimal use I think

+1

I was actually using 7-11's speakout for a couple years before I finally made the switch. I believe it's on the Rogers(?) network too, so if the student isn't going to keep the phone, you have a nice little backup phone if you're ever in a pinch :)

Zedbra 08-26-2014 05:18 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Zedbra 08-28-2014 09:38 PM

So we went to do the 7-11 deal but they do not have the nano SIM cards for the iPhone 5 yest. Ended up setting him up on Koodo's month to month plan for $60 with unlimited calling, text, and 1GB data. He gets 10% off for having his own phone. The Pay as you go plans would have cost more