REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Mother allows release of hard-hitting footage of her son’s motorcycle death (https://www.revscene.net/forums/697935-mother-allows-release-hard-hitting-footage-her-son%92s-motorcycle-death.html)

Soundy 09-06-2014 07:54 AM

Mother allows release of hard-hitting footage of her son’s motorcycle death

Video: Mother allows release of hard-hitting footage of her son?s motorcyle death on A47 - News - Eastern Daily Press

Quote:

Hard-hitting footage of a fatal collision in Norfolk has been released by police in a bid to get motorcyclists and drivers to think seriously about road safety.

The dramatic film, captured on a headcam fitted to the rider’s helmet, shows the moment a car crosses into the path of Norwich motorcyclist David Holmes who was killed on the A47 at Honingham in June last year.

Ludepower 09-06-2014 08:57 AM

Former bike rider here...my bike was written off after a driver try beating a red light crashed into me. Lucky only bones were broken and not my life.

The adrenaline of riding has to be experienced...nothing compares to it.
But 90% of the time its these oblivious car drivers that cause it. You cant control these risk and in the end its your life and family and friends depend on you. So I walked away from it.

hud 91gt 09-06-2014 10:29 AM

I only ever felt in danger on a motorcycle when being stupid, and or when not being an extremely defensive driver. Be aware, stay safe and pretend every vehicle out there is trying to kill you.

Chilling video to watch, but the motorcyclist was clearig exceeding the speed limit. RIP

pinn3r 09-06-2014 01:38 PM

"hard-hitting" :suspicious:

holy shit... RIP

BoostedBB6 09-06-2014 01:47 PM

Hate to see it, but most car drivers can not estimate the speed at which a bike is being ridden as (small size makes this harder to do).

I worked in the motorcycle industry for 10+ years and built some serious bikes and you have to be safe. I stopped riding a few years back because I was tired of dodging the cagers who did not pay attention.

He was clearly riding faster than he should have and that may very well have contributed to the car turning and not realizing the speed he is traveling.
Either way VERY sad to see something like this. I often called customers to let them know parts were in or follow up with them and found out from there family/SO that they were no longer with us.

Ride safe guys, cager danger!

Timpo 09-06-2014 04:08 PM

I think we should drive fast on the highway, but I think this wasn't.

Look at the painting on the road, it says at 2:51(not quite 2:52) "SLOW"

Also he says "WOW" at 2:53, so stop the video there, you can see there are still some distance (although I understand that it depends on the lens).
If he was going at 50km/h, maybe this accident could have been alleviated.

I think it's a good reminder though.

dn53 09-06-2014 07:33 PM

It looked quick and painless to say the least.. You can never guess what a driver is thinking, and when you're speeding along that quickly you leave no room for error. Ride like youre invisible not invincible..

Hurricane 09-07-2014 10:01 AM

I watched the accident scene a bunch of times, and tried to imagine myself in the situation and what I would have done.

Over and over again, by reflex I grabbed the front brake every time I came over the crest of the hill and saw a car in the middle lane. And that is with a grainy video in front of me, it would have been a lot clearer sooner in real life.

For some reason, this guy didn't, and that was a big mistake. He made the assumption the car was yielding. You can never make those assumptions at high speed on a bike.

He paid with his life unfortunately.

The ones that are really unsettling are ones like this :

Or when a large animal jumps out in front of you on a remote highway.

Then, you just have to hope its not your day.