REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Glossophobia & other anxieties (https://www.revscene.net/forums/698032-glossophobia-other-anxieties.html)

pinn3r 09-10-2014 09:54 PM

Glossophobia & other anxieties

/

SkinnyPupp 09-10-2014 10:10 PM

I don't have much to say regarding glossophobia, but the whole "most of my peers lack the mental capacity to comprehend" you and the "stems from my perfectionism" leads me to believe it could be related to inflated ego more than anything.

Especially when you say you are "trying to resolve this on my own". Why? Because a psychologist lacks the mental capacity to understand you?

pinn3r 09-10-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8527649)
I don't have much to say regarding glossophobia, but the whole "most of my peers lack the mental capacity to comprehend" you and the "stems from my perfectionism" leads me to believe it could be related to inflated ego more than anything.

Especially when you say you are "trying to resolve this on my own". Why? Because a psychologist lacks the mental capacity to understand you?

My mistake, I didn't mean to sound like a douche. I can assure you I DO NOT have an inflated ego. What I was trying to say was that none of my friends would understand what I was going through, and that they'd think I'm "weird." They're all about that tough-guy, macho man facade
I've only talked to one other person about this. He used to go through the same shit I'm going through, so he could empathize
I tried telling my girlfriend about this and she thought I was nuts. Really frustrating. No support at all

Don't want to go to a psychiatrist for him/her to tell me to pop a couple of pills and screw off. This is something I could probably fight off internally; just gotta change my mindset. Been thinking about seeing a psychologist, but I wanna see what kinda options I've got

Phozy 09-10-2014 10:30 PM

If I were you i too would want to resolve it on my own. Find that one friend who you can have a real conversation with, we all know one of those, regardless what type of friends we hang with.

Googled changing phobias and this came up :

CTRN: Change That's Right Now | How to Overcome

Honestly though, if nothing changes in the next while through your efforts, it's probably best you see one :)

SkinnyPupp 09-10-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinn3r (Post 8527652)
My mistake, I didn't mean to sound like a douche. I can assure you I DO NOT have an inflated ego. What I was trying to say was that none of my friends would understand what I was going through, and that they'd think I'm "weird." They're all about that tough-guy, macho man facade
I've only talked to one other person about this. He used to go through the same shit I'm going through, so he could empathize
I tried telling my girlfriend about this and she thought I was nuts. Really frustrating. No support at all

Don't want to go to a psychiatrist for him/her to tell me to pop a couple of pills and screw off. This is something I could probably fight off internally; just gotta change my mindset. Been thinking about seeing a psychologist, but I wanna see what kinda options I've got

I hear you.. I don't know who your friends are so I can't say.. If you're working in Alberta or something I can get what you're saying...

That being said, I think the best way to conquer a phobia is to hit it head on... Join the local Toastmasters club, it could lead to even more opportunities on top of helping you get over your anxiety. It's going to be a rough ride at first though!

320icar 09-10-2014 11:35 PM

All friends are macho alpha males, username is pinner :p

Have you even tried talking to your friends about it? Real friends should be supportive, and everyone has thoughts and feelings INCLUDING your macho friends. Maybe open up

SSM_DC5 09-10-2014 11:48 PM

pinn3r 09-10-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phozy (Post 8527658)
If I were you i too would want to resolve it on my own. Find that one friend who you can have a real conversation with, we all know one of those, regardless what type of friends we hang with.

Googled changing phobias and this came up :

CTRN: Change That's Right Now | How to Overcome

Honestly though, if nothing changes in the next while through your efforts, it's probably best you see one :)

Thanks dawg :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8527674)
I hear you.. I don't know who your friends are so I can't say.. If you're working in Alberta or something I can get what you're saying...

That being said, I think the best way to conquer a phobia is to hit it head on... Join the local Toastmasters club, it could lead to even more opportunities on top of helping you get over your anxiety. It's going to be a rough ride at first though!

Will be looking into Toastmasters!

Also found this
as eccentric as it may sound, meditation could help...